Sending command to HD HR Prime

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
jachin99

Sending command to HD HR Prime

Postby jachin99 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23 am

I'm really new to this but I would like to see if i can pull it off anyway. I am thinking of writing some kind of plugin for an automation device like Google Home, or Event ghost that can control my HDHR Prime. Starting out, I would just like to be able to change the channel, or more specifically tune to a specific channel by identifying the channel to be tuned by its broadcast name. So for example, I could somehow tell HDHR to tune to NBC. How would I get started with this. Can I use some kind of HTTP command via a web browser, or is it more complicated than that?

rpcameron

Re: Sending command to HD HR Prime

Postby rpcameron » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:58 am

I'm really new to this but I would like to see if i can pull it off anyway. I am thinking of writing some kind of plugin for an automation device like Google Home, or Event ghost that can control my HDHR Prime. Starting out, I would just like to be able to change the channel, or more specifically tune to a specific channel by identifying the channel to be tuned by its broadcast name. So for example, I could somehow tell HDHR to tune to NBC. How would I get started with this. Can I use some kind of HTTP command via a web browser, or is it more complicated than that?
You can do this easily with the hdhomerun_config tool. The problem, though, is that once you tune it, you usually want to do something with it. So, you can tune to a channel, but how do you decide where its stream is going?

From this previous post in this very forum there is a reference to this document about using hdhomerun_config, as well a second document about using the HTTP interface.

mikeb
Silicondust

Postby mikeb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:00 pm

The HDHomeRun streams whatever the client asked for.

The client is responsible for picking the channel and displaying the resulting video.

All the commands and protocols for talking directly to the HDHomeRun are irrelevant; what you should be doing is finding a way to launch and control the client device. If you're specifically after voice control within a Google ecosystem I'd suggest picking up an Android TV and using the Live Channels interface provided by the HDHomeRun.

jachin99

Postby jachin99 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Even if i picked up an android tv device there is no guarentee it will behave the way i would want it to, and thats assuming a way to change channels via an android tv device already exists. Im looking at my own solution because i can write my own commands.

The closest thing i know of that exists for like this is the plex alexa skill but even then i cant just say something like watch NBC. I need to drill down into the command by specifying devices etc.

jachin99

Postby jachin99 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:58 pm

The HDHomeRun streams whatever the client asked for.

The client is responsible for picking the channel and displaying the resulting video.

All the commands and protocols for talking directly to the HDHomeRun are irrelevant; what you should be doing is finding a way to launch and control the client device. If you're specifically after voice control within a Google ecosystem I'd suggest picking up an Android TV and using the Live Channels interface provided by the HDHomeRun.
I was thinking that if i could control the tuners directly then my program could be plugged into other programs such as event ghost.

Return to “Development Support”