Odd channel reception in my house

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Steiner23

Odd channel reception in my house

Post by Steiner23 »

This is unrelated to any other posts I have made here.

I have an HDHomeRun Connect. Device ID 104A5D26

I'm struggling to understand why I'm seeing this behavior.

I have scanned several channels with a tape in the window (mudflap) antenna. All of the channels that are returned work fine on my windows PC and iphone. HOWEVER, 1 channel does not work at all on 2 different Roku's that I have in the house. 32.1 CIVT (CTV) will NOT work on either Roku. The loading bar gets to the same place (~25%) and then it goes back to the channel selection page. That channel works fine on my laptop, on my phone, AND, I have another antenna that is hooked up to a Plex server in my other house, and the channel plays just fine on the local Roku's in the house, as well as streaming over Plex to this location, (obviously streaming over the Plex app, rather than the HDHomeRun app. The HDHomeRun apps say that they are Up To Date.

Any advice here? I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall here.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Re: Odd channel reception in my house

Post by kyl416 »

It's because most Roku devices have a crappy MPEG-2 decoder that crashes anytime it encounters an imperfect video stream and error correction would normally kick in. For online video that isn't an issue, but with OTA weaker signals or a momentary change in reception conditions from things like a gust of wind, an airplane, helicopter, or even a bird flying in the vicinity of your antenna can cause error correction to kick in.

On other platforms like Android, Apple and Windows developers can bundle their own decoders that are better at handling these things, but Roku requires all 3rd party developers to only use their internal decoders, while "apps" on Roku are just UI skins that send the stream URL to Roku's internal player.

Your Plex server transcodes the video, so any imperfections are removed before it hits the Roku's internal player.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

roku is one of the worse possible tv devices to use for tv streams. However since it can work for most broadcast stations SD chose to offer such roku channel (but won't officially support such with a prime as too often cable channels won't work) but it is always reliant on on the roku player which is !@#$%^& when it comes to tv streams (at one time my refrigerator did better at accepting such but an update killed that app).

It could be caused by the way the station encodes things, any small blip in reception, or network issue.

a plex server can transcode and send as HLS which is more roku friendly.

Steiner23

Post by Steiner23 »

Thank you to both of you for explaining. I really don't like the Roku's (I own like 6 nvidia Shields) - BUT - when I switched to Comcast XFINITY, in an attempt to stream, but not use my data, I have to use a special app that (at least as of about 6 months ago) was not available on the google app store (confirmed - still not available for google TV streaming devices).... Roku was the only available option, and, to keep things simple for other family members, I switched all of the Shields out to Rokus....

Thanks again for explaining.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I did recently read one could sideload the apk from amazon to a shield for such service and it now works where before it didn't (so not sure how long that behavior will last).

Also the issue you encountered "could" be what many refer to as the nvidia bug if that station uses such encoding (it wouldn't surprise me that if nvidia balks at it, it would also trip up the roku) but in the case of the shield or pc with this issue it presents as a stutter or hiccup and at least usually attempts to play.