Which 4k TV can run the official full featured HDHomeRun app

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
boliek

Which 4k TV can run the official full featured HDHomeRun app

Post by boliek »

So to use the DVR recording programming features you need to be able to run the official full featured HDHomerun app. Which 4k TVs (ATSC 3.0) are capable (by themselves) of running that app? "Android TV" and "Fire TV" are indicated as capable of running the full featured app. Are those actual TVs (with Android or Fire firmware) or are they streaming devices attached to TVs (like Invidia)? I don't want to have to access to full features separately from the TV by using a Windows 10 or tablet or smart phone but want to simplify things by just using the TV and HDHomerun devices. I'm still learning about HDHomerun DVR and would like to know how best to simplify everything. I have come from the land of Windows 8.1 Windows Media Center to the new land of HDHomerun DVR and related products. Excuse my learning curve. Thanks!

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Which 4k TV can run the official full featured HDHomeRun app

Post by foxbat121 »

All Sony TVs are Android TVs. Some TCL, but not all, TVs are Android TVs.
Don't know anything about Fire TV.
LG TVs have HDHR app as well.
There are Roku TVs, mainly from TCL, IIRC, that can load HDHR app but the functionality of the app is limited and probably only going to work with OTA channels.
Samsung TVs not going to have any such app.
That's about it.

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

You are talking about ATSC 3.0 televisions.
There are only Sony, Samsung and LG 3.0 TVs so far.
LG would be your only hope. I haven't seen anyone comment about the HDHR app on LG 3.0 TVs though.
It is still early days for ATSC 3.0. Some 3.0 TVs are shipping without 3.0 enabled and need firmware updates to enable such.

sdust

Post by sdust »

FoodLioon wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:11 am You are talking about ATSC 3.0 televisions.
emmm, no. the TV OTA reception ability is irrelevant here. All the TV needs to be able to do is run HDHR app.

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

sdust wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:09 am
FoodLioon wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:11 am You are talking about ATSC 3.0 televisions.
emmm, no. the TV OTA reception ability is irrelevant here. All the TV needs to be able to do is run HDHR app.
The original poster specified ATSC 3.0 TVs.

Which 4k TVs (ATSC 3.0) are capable (by themselves) of running that app?

boliek

Post by boliek »

I did some checking:

Apparently LG has on their app site the HDHomeRun app:
https://us.lgappstv.com/main/tvapp/deta ... a124327f0f

One would need to inquire whether a particular model (say with ATSC 3.0 capabilities) will run the app.

As far as SAMSUNG is concerned on Redit a "siliconedust employee" is quoted to say:
"We had a Samsung app, and then Samsung removed it without explanation. Then we made a RUI app that ran in Samsung TVs, and they disabled RUI support for everyone in a firmware update." So no go running the app on SAMSUNG it seems.

As for SONY Silicone dust commented:
"Sony Android TV - Newer (most 2018/19 and later) models appear to do very well with the DVR software. However, some users have reported that recent firmware updates have changed how permissions are handled on removable media, preventing recordings from being made, while other users have not had any such issues." The later sentence seems to relate to storage attached to a SONY ANDROID TV for DVR storage purposes.
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:and ... e_hardware

It would be helpful if Silicone Dust would provide more consolidated and specific information so one doesn't end up buying expensive components that don't work with the DVR app.

sdust

Post by sdust »

FoodLioon wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:25 am
sdust wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:09 am
The original poster specified ATSC 3.0 TVs.

Which 4k TVs (ATSC 3.0) are capable (by themselves) of running that app?
G1 from the current lineup has ATSC 3.0 tuner - https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled77g1pua-oled-4k-tv
Not sure about the app being full featured - viewtopic.php?f=119&t=74245

boliek

Post by boliek »

Thanks sdust for the link. $4200+ is a bit pricey. So my question is does one need a ATSC 3.0 TV for the TV to play through the HDHomeRun DVR app say a recorded 4k ATSC 3.0 broadcast? My Windows 10 computer had to download from the Microsoft Store HEVC compression encoders to play content recorded on my Scribe Quatro 4K. To play similar content from the HDHomeRune DVR app installed on a TV does the TV need a similar HEVC encoder? Do all 4K TVs by their 4K nature have that encoder already built into them?

sdust

Post by sdust »

boliek wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:45 am Thanks sdust for the link. $4200+ is a bit pricey. So my question is does one need a ATSC 3.0 TV for the TV to play through the HDHomeRun DVR app say a recorded 4k ATSC 3.0 broadcast? My Windows 10 computer had to download from the Microsoft Store HEVC compression encoders to play content recorded on my Scribe Quatro 4K. To play similar content from the HDHomeRune DVR app installed on a TV does the TV need a similar HEVC encoder? Do all 4K TVs by their 4K nature have that encoder already built into them?
Agreed, G1 is a bit pricey. C1 is a better choice. You do not need ATSC 3.0 tuner in your TV in order to play ATSC 3.0 broadcasts through HDHR app. I own a last year CX and the app works with ATSC 3.0 broadcasts.

Short of some rough edges here and there, which Silicon Dust is working on solving, everything seems fine.

I would suggest getting Scribe 4K if you are interested in DVR ability.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

HEVC generally isn't the issue on recent smart tvs (past 2-3 years) it's ac-4 that is the issue and the only tv's I know that support/list ac-4 on lower end models are from LG. There is a webos app out but I would never consider such complete and though it generally has better decoders than roku for tv streams it is limited to using the decoders of the tv. I would be prepared to need to use something as a client device (xbox one or android tv bix/dongle) and possibly even a soundbar or avr to plug such device into.

If you didn't mention atsc 3.0 any android tv based tv would probably be fine for most for the "full" app (I don't suggest fire devices as they won't support drm and Amazon is slower to release updates to their hardware and approve updates to the app in the app store) but even an Android TV TV might have some quirks that will require additional hardware (I would not suggest using the tv for the dvr engine/storage.. use a nas or pc). My personal feeling right now is the new chromecast with Google TV on a recent LG (or other avr/soundbar/tv that supports ac-4 / atmos) would probably be the best "cheap" solution but currently I have seen some issues with the chromecast that may irritate some but to me occasionally needing to press a button to seek after a channel change is a minor inconvenience for such a cheap device that works (I'd be more irked by it if I paid $100+ for such device).

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Sony 900H has the ATSC 3.0 tuner activated with a recent firmware update. I don't know how well it supports the codecs because I don't use the built-in tuner. The HDHR app works fine and I will never use any TV to do DVR recording.

boliek

Post by boliek »

OK. Ya'll gave some good advice. Many of early HDHomeRun users used several platforms and then Windows 8.1 Media Center came out and it was everything the DVR app is now. It was very convenient as all you needed was a computer to run it (including a nice guide), record and play to your TV. So unless you had a A/V receiver that's all you needed (besides an HDHomeRun tuner of course). The nice thing about the Scribe Quad 4K and Servio is that you have storage and the Scribe has 4 tuners - 2 with ATSC 3.0. I have these plus a Prime with 3 cable tuners. It is nice not having to turn on a computer to record and make things happen. The idea of just turning on your TV and opening and running the HDHomerun DVR app is that it is even simpler than the WMC setup. Having to use an X-Box, Invidia or some additional android or fire device seem repetitive and more complicated.

I did find a Sony - 50" Class X85J Series LED 4K UHD Smart Google TV which has a 120Hz refresh rate and SONY says the X85J TV supports ATSC/ATSC 3.0(NEXTGEN TV). It runs for around $850 on sale. So the next question would be is a "Google TV" the same or similar to an "Android TV"? In other words will the HDHomerun DVR app run on a Google TV. It would be nice if Siliconedust would chime in on this. This may be the last piece to my puzzle. Thanks.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

SD already posted such info here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:android

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

OP has a SCRIBE and SERVIO, so they appear to just be asking about support for viewing live TV and recordings.

Current TV sets on the market running Android TV, Google TV, or Fire TV, should be fine. Sony (Android TV/Google TV) has had very good support with their current lineup of TV sets.

LG/Web OS will also work, but lack the ability to rewind while watching live TV, or fast-forward on an in-progress recording (completed recordings should have no issue).

Roku TVs will also work, but have a different (and more limited) interface, and cannot set new recordings at this time (they can watch completed recordings).

boliek

Post by boliek »

OP has a SCRIBE and SERVIO, so they appear to just be asking about support for viewing live TV and recordings.
In addition to viewing live TV and recordings, I want a TV that can access "Discover" and "Tasks" and set recordings. I assume your mention of the SONY TVs with Android or Google that they can do all the things one could do with the app on Windows 10 or an android device?