Which 4k TV can run the official full featured HDHomeRun app

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Which 4k TV can run the official full featured HDHomeRun app

Post by signcarver »

Android/Google TVs run the Android app (which is also the same as the FireTV app but Fire won't support DRM which can be a concern with a prime and possibly with atsc3 in the future). If interested in atsc3, ac-4 support is another thing to consider especially if you won't have an atmos soundbar or receiver which is why I lean towards lg as they actually mention ac-4 in their specs (though I believe some if not all newer sony's may also support such now they never list it) but lg app is limited to their decoders which are better than roku but occasionally have problems and has a couple of quirks like the one NedS mentioned (and from what I remember is currently US (canada?) only as LG is slow to approve in other countries) and depending on model would use an android tv dongle for drm or possibly their built in dlna client.

With the Sony or other Android TV, which is a very good choice for the app, you may end up needing more hardware for the sound though SD is supposedly working on some online service to transcode the ac-4 into something usable if necessary but I'm not that optimistic it will work as well as native sound. I have even seen TVs have issue with passing through the sound to the receiver if it doesn't recognize it. Occasionally I have seen android/Google TVs mess up something internally that they also may not always support drm as well. As a result I always caution to never depend on any tv as the only hardware for the client but yes for many it works 99% of the time.

Keep in mind that with atsc 3, everything is a moving target and even some atsc 3 TV's have issues with some streams which may or may not get fixed by broadcaster or TV manufacturer though typically many of the tv stations will reach out to the manufacturer to try and determine what is wrong.

boliek

Post by boliek »

So I went ahead and ordered a Sony X85J Series LED 4K UHD Smart Google TV. Once set up I will post my findings on whether it allows me to run the full featured app (as well as watch ATSC 3.0 broadcasts and HDHomerun DVR 4K recordings). In case you want to know the stats:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... ifications

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

boliek wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:44 pm
OP has a SCRIBE and SERVIO, so they appear to just be asking about support for viewing live TV and recordings.
In addition to viewing live TV and recordings, I want a TV that can access "Discover" and "Tasks" and set recordings. I assume your mention of the SONY TVs with Android or Google that they can do all the things one could do with the app on Windows 10 or an android device?
Correct. Android TV/Google TV support the full HDHomeRun app.

boliek

Post by boliek »

I went ahead and purchased a Sony X85J 4K Google TV.

So after installing and joining it to the network, I installed the HDHomeRun DVR app which is available to Sony Google TVs. After learning how to use the remote and TV inputs, guide etc. I connected to the HDHomerun DVR tuners and storage (Scribe 4K, Prime and Servio). Everything seems to work as it did on my Windows 10 computer. I was able to use and run "Live", "Recorded", "Discover" and "Tasks" - all DVR functions. Moreover, since this TV also supports ATSC 3.0 I was able to play local ATSC 3.0 stations with no problem, both from the Scribe 4K (including 4K recordings) as well as separately using the TVs own tuner. So Sony was the way for me to go.
Last edited by boliek on Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdust

Post by sdust »

boliek wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:43 am I went ahead and purchased a Sony X85J 4K Google TV.

So after installing and joining it to the network, I installed the HDHomeRun DVR app which is available to Sony Google TVs. After learning how to use the remote and TV inputs, guide etc. I connected to the HDHomerun DVR tuners and storage (Scribe 4K, Prime and Servio). Everything seems to work as it did on my Windows 10 computer. Moreover, since this TV also supports ATSC 3.0 I was able to play local ATSC 3.0 stations with no problem, both from the Scribe 4K (including 4K recordings) as well as separately using the TVs own tuner. So Sony was the way for me to go.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

boliek

Post by boliek »

Survivorship Bias aside (which was a weird comment from sdust). Sony Google works! It replaces my Samsung which does not.

sdust

Post by sdust »

I am in OLED LG camp.

boliek

Post by boliek »

sdust wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:49 pm I am in OLED LG camp.
OLED LG is a great TV. However if you ever mistakenly leave your TV on pause on a photo or CNBC etc. you might experience screen burn. I'm replacing a Samsung plasma that was ruined that way. See: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permane ... n-lcd-oled

sdust

Post by sdust »

boliek wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:23 pm
sdust wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:49 pm I am in OLED LG camp.
OLED LG is a great TV. However if you ever mistakenly leave your TV on pause on a photo or CNBC etc. you might experience screen burn. I'm replacing a Samsung plasma that was ruined that way. See: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permane ... n-lcd-oled
Thinking about buying my first oled. Should I be worried about burn in?
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/thinki ... n.3194272/