Windows desktop app crashes after upgrade - mentj

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
mentj

Windows desktop app crashes after upgrade - mentj

Post by mentj »

Today started HDHomerun dekstop app and upgrade sequence started. Upgrade seemed to go without event and afterwards HDHomerun live TV played normally - but- I changed channel from SYFY network to HBO and app crashed. Restarted app and it opens briefly on the desktop but then crashes and closes repeatedly. I assume it's attempting to restart HBO, the last channel "viewed". What do I do to fix?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Windows desktop app crashes after upgrade

Post by NedS »

mentj wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:17 pm Today started HDHomerun dekstop app and upgrade sequence started. Upgrade seemed to go without event and afterwards HDHomerun live TV played normally - but- I changed channel from SYFY network to HBO and app crashed. Restarted app and it opens briefly on the desktop but then crashes and closes repeatedly. I assume it's attempting to restart HBO, the last channel "viewed". What do I do to fix?
Try uninstalling and reinstalling. If that doesn't look, reply back, and I think I have buried in my notes how to nuke the last channel, so that it will start on a non-DRM channel. At least that way we can see if it's affecting only DRM channels or not, and that will give our developers some direction to look at. Maybe something specific to the GPU used and if it's DRM or not, or hardware decoding or not, or some other combination.

mentj

Post by mentj »

Thank you so for your help.

Did as you recommended and uninstalled and reinstalled. It was interesting that yesterday when the software updated it displayed a Firmware Upgrade message during the process. Then just now, when I reinstalled the software again, it again displayed the same Firmware Upgrade message. Anyway, the install was uneventful and started well. The app quickly displayed the following, "Unable to play channel. Content Protection Error". It then allowed me to choose a non-DRM channel. All non-DRM channels are working fine now but I'm afraid to return to HBO, which I do have license ability to view through Comcast (which I can currently watch normally on my TV).

Next step? and thanks again.

mentj

Post by mentj »

I still don't have HBO DRM channel access.
Next steps?

mentj

Post by mentj »

Anyone else having DRM problems after the last update? :?:

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Windows desktop app crashes after upgrade - mentj

Post by nickk »

Can you please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the Windows HDHomeRun app settings menu, then quit the app, run it again, and try a protected channel.

Nick

mentj

Post by mentj »

Will do.

mentj

Post by mentj »

Did as you suggested, manually installing the two Microsoft redistributables you linked, then running the HdHomerun installer 20210624 using the "repair' option. After that saw your last note and turned on "send diagnostic information" and rerun the app. Now I can access DRM channels without event. Was it the redistributables?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

mentj wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:21 pm Did as you suggested, manually installing the two Microsoft redistributables you linked, then running the HdHomerun installer 20210624 using the "repair' option. After that saw your last note and turned on "send diagnostic information" and rerun the app. Now I can access DRM channels without event. Was it the redistributables?
That shouldn't have made a difference to DRM channels, but good to hear it is working!

Nick