HDHR Apps - Android stutter

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

HDHR Apps - Android stutter

Post by nickk »

We understand some people are experiencing a stutter on Android when hard up against the Live TV live point.

We have not been able to reproduce a problem but we have identified and implemented an improvement to frame timing that should improve video playback when there is a ticker on the screen.

The Android beta is expected to be released tomorrow (Monday).

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR Apps - Android stutter

Post by nickk »

If you are experiencing a stutter when Android is hard up against the live point (and pausing for a few seconds fixes the problem) - does audio play smoothly or does the audio glitch as well?

Nick

jessie10133

Post by jessie10133 »

Hey I want to start off by saying I appreciate you guys and the support team you guys actually get shit done and I really appreciate that for real! But I can say that I have experience really bad stutter issue on the latest update of hdhr I have reported it here viewtopic.php?f=119&t=75354 but once I reported it it was improved and it was patched right away within a days or 2 but now im getting alil millisecond or so stutter/skip on live TV it's not really noticeable on all channels is mainly noticeable on sports like baseball basketball and stuff like that but it's not noticeable on regular TV shows it's kind of noticeable on National Geographic as well

loopium

Post by loopium »

Thanks for taking the time, and the support.

As soon as the beta is released, I'll give you a feedback about the stutters.

EDIT : for now, after toggled on beta mode in the HDHR app, I have : version 20210607 (app) / 20210618b (UI) (beta). Will the beta update be on Google Play Store ? Or I just have nothing to do (server-side) ?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

You will also want to sign up here while signed into your Google account: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/co ... ndust.view

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

New Android TV app update arrived this morning. v20200621(app)/20210621(UI). The ticker stuttering is better, e.g. less noticeable, but not completely removed.

loopium

Post by loopium »

foxbat121 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:15 am New Android TV app update arrived this morning. v20200621(app)/20210621(UI). The ticker stuttering is better, e.g. less noticeable, but not completely removed.
After updating, I can say the stuttering happens more frequently (every each 1-2 seconds, 4-5 secs before the update).

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

I think they break up the large jump into smaller adjustments more often.

loopium

Post by loopium »

foxbat121 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:22 am I think they break up the large jump into smaller adjustments more often.
Yes. But why does the app need this adjustements... It shouldn't. Again, VLC plays perfectly smooth all the channels whithout any stutters, not even small one.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Keep in mind there is always going to be the occasional correction when playing live TV as the frame rate being sent by the broadcaster doesn't exactly match the frame rate of the HDMI link.

The frame rate from the broadcaster is usually 59.94 frames-per-second and the HDHomeRun app configures the HDMI link to 59.95 frames-per-second however the length of a second is always going to be slightly different between the broadcaster and the local device.

Also note that that corrections happen more often when you first tune the channel as the player builds up its jitter buffer.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

loopium wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:55 am
foxbat121 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:15 am New Android TV app update arrived this morning. v20200621(app)/20210621(UI). The ticker stuttering is better, e.g. less noticeable, but not completely removed.
After updating, I can say the stuttering happens more frequently (every each 1-2 seconds, 4-5 secs before the update).
It sounds like the playback speed correction. Let it play for a minute - it should drop back to once ever 4-5 seconds. This logic hasn't changed.

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:39 am Keep in mind there is always going to be the occasional correction when playing live TV as the frame rate being sent by the broadcaster doesn't exactly match the frame rate of the HDMI link.

The frame rate from the broadcaster is usually 59.94 frames-per-second and the HDHomeRun app configures the HDMI link to 59.95 frames-per-second however the length of a second is always going to be slightly different between the broadcaster and the local device.

Also note that that corrections happen more often when you first tune the channel as the player builds up its jitter buffer.

Nick
In my case not exactly, because the broadcaster sends a 50 Hz frame-rate. And my display setting on Shield is on 50 Hz too. And as i said, on VLC I checked and it's perfectly smooth, so to me it's 100% software related (HDHR app).

I reverted back to the stable release because stutters are less noticeable.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

loopium wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:37 am Yes. But why does the app need this adjustements... It shouldn't. Again, VLC plays perfectly smooth all the channels whithout any stutters, not even small one.
VLC plays at the reported frames-per-second where the length of a second is determined by the local system clock. The HDHomeRun app does the same thing for recorded content.

Because VLC isn't applying the correction it will get more and more out of sync with the broadcaster.
If the broadcaster second is slower than a local second it will periodically have to do a buffering pause.
If the broadcaster second is faster than a local second the playback will slowly get more and more behind real-time.
We also see a problem with VLC where it will sometimes get stuck in a rapid buffering-play loop when you first start a channel.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

loopium wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:47 am In my case not exactly, because the broadcaster sends a 50 Hz frame-rate. And my display setting on Shield is on 50 Hz too. And as i said, on VLC I checked and it's perfectly smooth, so to me it's 100% software related (HDHR app).
In EU the frame rate from the broadcaster is usually 50 frames-per-second and the HDHomeRun app configures the HDMI link to 50 frames-per-second however the length of a second is always going to be slightly different between the broadcaster and the local device. Keeping the playback close to the broadcaster time requires the occasional frame correction.

Nick

spocoeric

Post by spocoeric »

Early testing of the new beta app seems to have resolved the issue for me. HDHomerun Prime w/CableCard, 2019 ShieldTV Pro. I will report back if anything changes. Thanks Nick!