HDHR Apps - Android stutter

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR Apps - Android stutter

Post by nickk »

loopium wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:09 pm I can assure you it's not due to differences between the mastering frequency and the broadcasting frequency. Soccer matches are recorded in 50 Hz and broadcasted at this exact same frequency.
Right, but the HDHomeRun app will adapt the framerate so you will get the occasional duplicate frame or dropped frame as the app works to make the 50Hz local playback speed match the 50Hz broadcast rate (both are 50 frames per second but the length of a second is not the same between the two). This is the same as when you watch content mastered in the USA - frames are dropped or duplicated to make the output 50 frames per second for EU broadcast.
loopium wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:09 pmI can send you more phone footage with stutters if it can helps you to find out what's going on.
Yes please - that would help.

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:32 pm Right, but the HDHomeRun app will adapt the framerate so you will get the occasional duplicate frame or dropped frame as the app works to make the 50Hz local playback speed match the 50Hz broadcast rate (both are 50 frames per second but the length of a second is not the same between the two).
Ok, any way to disable this then, with a toggle in settings for instance ? I know it will be out of sync but at least a option to try if it works without stutters ?
nickk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:32 pm Yes please - that would help.
I recorded this footage (check your PMs) broadcasted at 50 Hz and slowed it down (the 1st frame drops is due to my phone camera). You can clearly see stutters happening between the 14-15 sec when you look at the ticker and the sentence "voir conditions détaillés [...]" : the image stops = frame drop (?).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Thanks for the camera phone footage. The video seemed to slow down and the audio disappeared - was the video edited?

Do you have this content in a recording we can test here?

Nick

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:57 am Thanks for the camera phone footage. The video seemed to slow down and the audio disappeared - was the video edited?

Nick
Not sure of what you want. Yes I edited the video by purpose to better highlight the stutter at the end of the footage. I used the x4 slow down camera mode.

Do you want it but not slowed down ?

EDIT : I sent you via PM 2 more footages : one with the HDHR app source (stutters), the other with the OTA tuner beta source (no stutters, couldn't manage to cancel the x4 slow down on it).

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:57 am Thanks for the camera phone footage. The video seemed to slow down and the audio disappeared - was the video edited?

Nick
Hi nickk,

Did you manage to get my footage (cf. above) and note the stutters on your Shield ?

If you can't see it, I can send you other footage with the latest HDHR app, which is (for me) unwatachable because it stutters every sec.

loopium

Post by loopium »

loopium wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:43 am
nickk wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:32 pm Right, but the HDHomeRun app will adapt the framerate so you will get the occasional duplicate frame or dropped frame as the app works to make the 50Hz local playback speed match the 50Hz broadcast rate (both are 50 frames per second but the length of a second is not the same between the two).
Ok, any way to disable this then, with a toggle in settings for instance ? I know it will be out of sync but at least a option to try if it works without stutters ?
Well, no news about the issue.

Can we at least have an option to stop the HDHR app matching speed between 50 Hz local playback and 50 Hz broadcast, as you explained above ?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Checking, have you tried the new 20210728 release?

Nick