Zoom vs Stretch/Wide in HDHR apps

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
SageMyth

Zoom vs Stretch/Wide in HDHR apps

Post by SageMyth »

I just got a Mecool KM2 Android TV 10 box.
It has caused me to notice different behaviors in the HDHR apps on various platforms.

On the Mecool, the zoom button actually stretches a 720x480 video into wide mode.
On my LG TV, the same video is auto-stretched into wide mode and there is no on-screen button.
On my Shield Pro and Shield Tube the zoom button performs a zoom.
On my Pixel 3 Android Phone the zoom button performs a zoom.
On Win10 the zoom button performs a zoom.

Wide mode is what I want and only the LG TV and Mecool apps do it.
What is the intended behavior? Zoom or Wide?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Zoom vs Stretch/Wide in HDHR apps

Post by nickk »

Hi,

The HDHomeRun app always maintains the correct aspect ratio as indicated by the broadcaster. The goal is to display the picture correctly - we don't provide an option to stretch or distort the video.

Widescreen video can be encoded as 720x480 16:9. If you screen is 16:9 this content will be displayed fullscreen by the HDHomeRun app.

Non-widecreen video can be encoded as 720x480 4:3. If your screen 16:9 this content will be displayed by the HDHomeRun app with black bars left/right. Some TVs support stretching 4:3 content to full screen making everything look fat and distorted. Don't do that :geek:

The HDHomeRun app provides a zoom button to fix a specific case - if a channel is 4:3 the broadcaster may encode 16:9 content to 4:3 aspect by adding black bars to the video top and bottom. If this is played on a 16:9 screen you end up with black bars top and bottom (from the video) and black bars left and right (added to maintain the correct aspect ratio). The zoom button in the HDHomeRun app fixes this situation.

We have seen some channels where the broadcaster sends the wrong aspect ratio. This is a fault in the broadcast and best to be fixed by contacting the broadcaster to fix.

If something doesn't look right you can post a screenshot or camera picture and we can usually tell you what is going on.

Nick

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

nickk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:20 pm We have seen some channels where the broadcaster sends the wrong aspect ratio. This is a fault in the broadcast and best to be fixed by contacting the broadcaster to fix.
Agreed, provided the broadcaster knows how to do that. Unfortunately that's not always the case, especially with stations that are not major network affiliates. They tend to flag all SD subchannels as 4:3 regardless of what they should be. A couple of local stations make that mistake along with others that indicate they don't know what they're doing (constant glitches, low channel bandwidth that causes pixelation on any movement, etc.). While having the broadcaster fix it would be best, a reception workaround would be good to have too. Ideally, the option to zoom a channel or stretch it horizontally should be saved per channel so that it doesn't affect other channels that are correctly transmitted.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I think there is merit to having an "advanced-user" override. Another example is where some channels will stretch 4:3 content to 16:9, making everything look fat, and it would be wonderful to squash that back into 4:3. I work for SiliconDust, and it kills me that I have to use a third party app to watch non-fat-head Homer Simpson for early seasons of The Simpsons (though slightly better than the zoom-crop option, but there's not much we can do about that). If we can accommodate that, then I think it would be fair to accommodate the other examples in this thread.

I will invoke puppydogeyes on the boss and see if he goes for it.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

If you find a channel with the wrong aspect ratio let us know the details - we will reach out to the station to get it fixed.

Nick

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

WPHL in Philly. CourtTV on 17.3 and Comet on 17.4 should be 16:9 but they're 4:3.

(Yes Comet has a duplicate affiliate in Philly that does broadcast in the correct ratio, but WPSG's directional signal doesn't reach all the areas that WPHL's non-directional signal reaches, especially North of the Lehigh Valley where WQPX starts to interfere)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

kyl416 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:53 pm WPHL in Philly. CourtTV on 17.3 and Comet on 17.4 should be 16:9 but they're 4:3.

(Yes Comet has a duplicate affiliate in Philly that does broadcast in the correct ratio, but WPSG's directional signal doesn't reach all the areas that WPHL's non-directional signal reaches, especially North of the Lehigh Valley where WQPX starts to interfere)
Ideal would be a 30s capture of each channel:
http://hdhomerun.local:5004/auto/v17.3?duration=30
http://hdhomerun.local:5004/auto/v17.4?duration=30

Nick

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

Here you go:
[links removed by moderator after download - thanks]

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

kyl416 - is the black strip top and bottom on Court TV on all shows?

I have started an email conversation that will hopefully help get it fixed.

Nick

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

It's not just strips on the top and bottom, they also have strips on the left and right. I'm not sure what WPHL is doing, the feed should be 16:9 widescreen and full frame, but for some reason a few months ago they added black strips around the image. I wonder if they were attempting to do 14:9 letterboxing/cropping but chose the wrong setting.

sdust

Post by sdust »

nickk wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:49 pm If you find a channel with the wrong aspect ratio let us know the details - we will reach out to the station to get it fixed.

Nick
You must be unaware of the amount of effort required. This kind of engagement is better left to Don Quixote or Sisyphus. ;)

SageMyth

Post by SageMyth »

nickk wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:49 pm If you find a channel with the wrong aspect ratio let us know the details - we will reach out to the station to get it fixed.
Here is the channel I would like to get fixed.
Boise Idaho OTA Broadcast Channel 22.1 KRIDLD
AVN network
The broadcast is 720x480 and plays in 4:3 aspect ratio with HDHR app
When stretched to 16:9 with vlc it looks normal.

Thanks

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Post by ronintexas »

Austin, TX Channels 14-2 (Bounce) and 14-3 (H&I) are both broadcast in 16:9 format, but it sends 4:3 aspect ratio, so the picture is distorted. I have argued with the KEYE-TV staff to no avail - they claim it is 4:3...

I can watch it in normal format on my TV's by overriding the TV format to 16:9, but it looks terrible on my Tablo DVRs and HDHomerun HDHR5...

sdust

Post by sdust »

TiVo has 3 zoom options - Panel, Zoom and Full. The only problem is they are global so when changing between channels requiring different zoom setting an adjustment is required. The proper solution is to remember the zoom setting per channel in the player. I was trying to convince TiVo to do that for the last 5 years. Hopefully Silicon Dust is going to be more responsive.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

SageMyth wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:57 pm Here is the channel I would like to get fixed.
Boise Idaho OTA Broadcast Channel 22.1 KRIDLD
AVN network
The broadcast is 720x480 and plays in 4:3 aspect ratio with HDHR app
When stretched to 16:9 with vlc it looks normal.
Can you please make a 30 second capture so we can review and talk to the station.

Nick