can't get consistent access to encrypted channels

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jig

can't get consistent access to encrypted channels

Post by jig »

I have the HDHomerun Prime with cable card and tuning adapter.

in the past, i've been able to watch encrypted channels on my laptop while docked and connected to two external monitors via mini display ports. lately i have not been able to do watch encrypted channels and instead get the protected content block screen.

today, i downloaded and installed the iOS HDHomerun app, then immediately ran it and was able to watch 2 different encrypted channels - i then closed the app. next, i updated the HDHomerun app on my laptop, tried to watch some encrypted channels, and got the protected content block screen again.

i tried to revert back to my iPhone to watch protected content, connected my iPhone to my laptop via USB to make sure the battery wouldn't die, and then tried to watch protected channels again... and i got the block screen. i then rebooted my iPhone, but i still can't watch protected content on my phone now, either.

i'm not sure how to troubleshoot this, and i'm looking for help. it could be a tuning adapter problem, or a cable card problem... but i don't understand why i was able to watch encrypted content on my iphone the first time i ran the iOS app, but not afterwards. it's a weird bug.

any help?

jasonl
Expert

Re: can't get consistent access to encrypted channels

Post by jasonl »

Who's your cable provider and have you run a channel scan on your HDHomeRun recently? Some providers (Cox comes to mind) have been messing with the DRM settings in some markets and enabling it in places that didn't have it previously. If your channels were previously encrypted but not DRM/copy protected, then you would have been able to watch with no restrictions, but if DRM got turned on, that would add a bunch of extra things that were required. It should still work on the Windows 10 and iOS apps, but it would require, at a minimum, a new channel scan and making sure you have the latest app versions installed.

jig

Post by jig »

I ran a channel scan right after upgrading the firmware (which started this dance).

There haven't been any major (or noticeable) changes in the DRM settings of the channels, for at least a few years.

something strange is happening, i just don't know how to track down the issue. is there a way to tell if a tuning adapter isn't working properly, and is one of the telltale signs that DRM channels won't tune?

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

My past experience with TAs (while on Cox) is that they often crap out. The only way to tell is to check the Prime tuner's log and it will tell you something about failed tuning request on TA. When that happens, I have manually power cycle the TA.

I'm so glad my current provider, FIOS, doesn't use TA.

jig

Post by jig »

i went ahead and ordered a new tuning adapter, and if that doesn't fix the issue, i'll try getting the tech to roll out and check signal levels. sigh.