Firestick HD Homerun shutting down while watching recording

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
titantractor271

Firestick HD Homerun shutting down while watching recording

Post by titantractor271 »

Four or five times this morning while watching ABC News on 8.1 my playback of my DVR stopped. I am using the Firestick running the HD application. I turned on send diagnostics before the last two shut downs. This has been happening quite often in the past couple weeks. I have 85% storage in two DVRs. What can I do to further diagnose?

It just happened a third time with diagnostics turned on at 07:38AM EST.
Last edited by titantractor271 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HD Homerun shutting down while watching recording

Post by nickk »

Hi,

What is the Device ID of your HDHomeRun?

Nick

titantractor271

Two scribes, two antennas... FireTV code is the one which is shutting down...

HDHomeRun SCRIBE DUO 151041BE
Version 20210422
74 Channels

HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO 1520267D
Version 20210422
76 Channels

titantractor271

I just happened at 11:27pm EDT watching NBC News on 30.1. Just stopped, not sure why...I think I did reboot my firestick. Is there any logs in the firestick I should try to pull out?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The logs from the FireTV device show the HDMI link going down and coming back a number of times in a row.

Did you turn your TV off and back on again multiple times in a row by any chance?

Nick

titantractor271

nickk wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:26 pm The logs from the FireTV device show the HDMI link going down and coming back a number of times in a row.

Did you turn your TV off and back on again multiple times in a row by any chance?

Nick
No there was no attempts to turn off the TV. The shows were in play mode, no attempts to fast forward or rewind at all. The play was just "playing". I do use the Samsung TV Remote to control the FireTV controller attached on the HDMI port. I know that the Samsung remote is interfaces with the HDMI protocol for remotes to Fire TV, but at no time during the playback I'm describing was the remote in use.

titantractor271

Nick - I had two more failures this morning at 8:50 am today. What are you seeing and is this something I can look at also?

titantractor271

titantractor271 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:54 am Nick - I had two more failures this morning at 8:50 am today. What are you seeing and is this something I can look at also?
And again at 1:03pm EDT... Just watching News 8 at Noon and it stopped. Is it my TV, is the hard drive space being at 87%+ an issue,?? thoughts

titantractor271

This seems to only be a Firestick software problem. I can run the HD app from my laptop and it never shuts down. I will next try another firestick in case this is this stick.

titantractor271

Ok, so instead of swapping my firestick, I restored my firestick to factory defaults. When reinstalling the software, it warned me my USB power was below par. That was because that stick is plugged into a MicroPC so I could download material and maintain the firestick using that PC. I've since replaced that PC with a normal power connector and reset the software. I'll test HD on this setup and see if that's the problem. I'll update this post with any further failures or successes.

titantractor271

The power/firestick refresh may have solved the problem. I let the recording play now for 1:37 minutes. (and eventually finished a two hour show). Problem looks solved.