Issues with HDHomeRun app on new Apple TV 4K

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
thully

Issues with HDHomeRun app on new Apple TV 4K

Post by thully »

I just got the new model of the Apple TV 4K, and I am experiencing major issues using it with the latest version of the HDHomeRun app.

First of all, I am experiencing a really bad echo in the sound. In fact, it seems like the audio track is playing twice with one instance slightly behind the other. If I press the back button (Menu on the old remote) to go to the menu, the sound will keep playing, without the echo (normally it stops). From there, by going back to the Apple TV home screen, back to the HDHomeRun app, and then back to live TV, I can get the audio to play without the echo (though for some reason it takes a long time to get a channel to tune). However, it will always come back after restarting the app.

Secondly, even when I get the audio to stop echoing, I’ve noticed a sort of microstutter than happens every several seconds. This is most noticeable on programs that have a lot of motion, such as sports. I don’t see this when watching the same programs using alternate methods such as streaming services, and don’t recall this on the Apple TV HD. When checking the video settings, I noticed that all the frame rates were 59.94fps rather than 60 (on my Apple TV HD they were all 60) - could this have anything to do with it?

Finally, if I scroll really fast to the end of the guide by holding down the down button, the program icons and network logos will be all wrong. This doesn’t happen if you scroll slowly, or if you’ve previously scrolled to that part of the guide slowly since the last time the app was restarted.

I am using the HDHomeRun Connect 4K, but the issues above occur on both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 channels.

thully

Re: Issues with HDHomeRun app on new Apple TV 4K

Post by thully »

I went ahead and opened trouble tickets for each of these 3 issues. Still see them after updating to the latest tvOS 14.6. I have also tried the Channels app on the new Apple TV 4K, and am not seeing any of the echo/microstutter issues with that.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Do we have you signed up for the Test Flight version?

thully

Post by thully »

I added myself to the TestFlight beta using the link on the website, though the newest version there is 20200513, which is older than the release version.

TrueEddie

Post by TrueEddie »

I'm having the exact same issues as the original poster. I also just got the new Apple TV 4K a couple of days ago. I can't even watch any recorded shows at the moment. I hope this is fixed soon as I want to take full advantage of the first year of included DVR service I got when I purchased the Scribe 4K last month.

If there is any way I can help just let me know. Thanks.

TrueEddie

Post by TrueEddie »

Just curious if there is any update on this?

TrueEddie

Post by TrueEddie »

I guess I will have to return it since I purchased it for use with my Apple TV 4K and my return window is almost up. I hope you are able to figure out the issue for others.

pshanew

Post by pshanew »

For those experiencing the echoing issue, have a look at your tuner status at my.hdhomerun.com while it is occurring. I'm pretty sure you'll see that two tuners are in use for the program (at least that's what I see in my case, on the previous generation Apple TV 4K). My assumption is that the app is playing audio from both tuners, slightly offset.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We haven't been able to reproduce this issue on the Apple TV 4K gen4. I have ordered an Apple TV gen5 to test - it arrives tomorrow.

Nick

Cypresstree

Post by Cypresstree »

New Apple TV 4K. HD home run Quattro, HD home run Servio. APP Version 20210524

I’ve been struggling with the exact same issue as the original OP.

I am sometimes also experiencing a duplicate soundtrack. Seems to happen when the previous generation appleTV4k (another room) is in sleep mode.

Additionally I also have an issue with no native Dolby digital. PCM only; there is no center channel sound. Dialog is on either right or left channel - depending on the station. I can only output the center channel when PCM all Chanel stereo is selected.

Deleting app and reinstalling does not remedy the issue.

Cypresstree

Post by Cypresstree »

Updated available firmware on both the Quattro to 20210224 and the Servio to 20210227. No change.

Do note that the new ATV4K HDMI is pushed to an ONKYO AVR.

Deleted previous post.

I now believe there is an issue with the hdmi handshake with the ONKYO receiver.

I temporarily bypassed the ONKYO and fed the hdmi directly to the television. No issues

Routed back through the ONKYO and the dual soundtrack surfaced again. Changed hdmi cables - no change.

Deleting and reinstalling the app gets rid of the dual soundtrack for just a while before the problem returns.

Still no native Dolby Digital. Center Chanel playing on the the front left then right channel, while the surround audio is playing on the front right.

I’m just about to give up. I’ll hold off on the expletives for a bit. Entirely frustrating experience.