Failure without Internet

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
drbatch

Failure without Internet

Post by drbatch »

I have experienced several times where the Internet is not available for long periods. During those times if I start HDHomeRun it fails to start and does not record. I see no reason for this since I still have connection via Ethernet. I have assumed that this happens because HDHomeRun looks for a licence on the Internet. I would request that a copy of the licence be kept of the DVR or some other location on the local network so that execution can continue without the Internet (which in some ways is one of the reasons for using an antenna ). Obviously, this cannot be the only location and whenever the Internet is available, the licence needs to be updated on startup and the copy must contain an expiration code so one could not just unplug the Internet. What is the possibility of this change? Or is there something wrong in my setup?

rpcameron

Re: Failure without Internet

Post by rpcameron »

It's a known shortcoming of the HDHomeRun app. It requires an active internet connection to startup, and will not work without one.

If this is an issue, then I suggest you look for other software that does not need an active internet connection to run.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

The official HDHomeRun app requires loading some remote UI content to function , but the HDHomeRun hardware itself does not require internet and can be used with third party software in a lan-only situation. VLC works well for this and is free and available for most platforms.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

SD's dvr checks in every hour or 2 and gets its orders of what it is supposed to record in the next 4 hours so there shouldn't be any issue with your dvr unless the outage is longer than 4 hours. If you experience such frequently, you would be better off with other software.

As stated, the app itself needs to load things from the internet on startup for it's ui to work.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

For truly offline operation, you could look into Tvheadend; not only does it not require internet connectivity, but it can even use the guide data transmitted OTA, without need for a separate guide provider. (Granted, OTA guide data is quite meager, but it allows for total offline operation.)