iOS app not discovering devices

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

iOS app not discovering devices

Post by nickk »

Symptom: HDHomeRun app on iOS reports "no devices detected" and does not work.

The problem is triggered by updating an iPhone or iPad to iOS 14.5.x and then updating the HDHomeRun app.

Details: iOS 14.5.x introduces a new security policy which prevents any app from sending broadcast or multicast packets unless the vendor has approval from Apple. The HDHomeRun app uses broadcast packets to discover HDHomeRun devices. We have filed a request with Apple for this approval.

Note that it is not possible to restore operation by installing an older version of the HDHomeRun app. It is unclear why a HDHomeRun app installed prior to upgrading to iOS 14.5.x continues to work but any app installed after upgrading to iOS 14.5.x fails with the same "no devices detected" error.

We are looking at every option while waiting for Apple.

Nick

dougyndot

Re: iOS app not discovering devices

Post by dougyndot »

Could you please explain why I can use Plex to access the HDHR tuner and watch live TV, while it fails on the HD app?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

SD's apps use broadcast discovery... plex can tune/discover tuners in a variety of ways including upnp/dlna (some configurations may not even need any discovery and can have a static configuration)

grabird

Post by grabird »

:( Darn it. I have this exact problem too. This is frustrating as I am an excited new customer, only taking delivery last Friday and all was working so well. Suddenly it has all stopped on my iPad and iPhone. Yes, I updated to 14.5.1 and yes I updated the app.
I can't wait! Please keep us posted.

erniec

Post by erniec »

A quick fix would be to allow us to input the address of our server if broadcast discovery fails

doublebars

Post by doublebars »

grabird wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:25 am :( Darn it. I have this exact problem too. This is frustrating as I am an excited new customer, only taking delivery last Friday and all was working so well. Suddenly it has all stopped on my iPad and iPhone. Yes, I updated to 14.5.1 and yes I updated the app.
I can't wait! Please keep us posted.
Exactly the same for me, except I've been running my ancient HdHomeRun Connect for the last 6 years without problems, so when it suddenly stopped working on both iPads and an iPhone I thought the unit must have died. And annoying though that would have been, I couldn't really complain about 6 years of unblemished service for a measly hundred pounds! If I hadn't thought to try the app on my Macs, and found everything working fine, I might well have just binned the device and ordered a new one! So first if all, many thanks to SiliconDust for a terrific product (!), and yes, please keep us posted - watching TV on my iPad is pretty much a way of life here!

Mr.K

Post by Mr.K »

Thanks nickk !!
Out of curiosity how many folks are in the same spot?? Can we get together and send a lot of texts to Apple?

Mine started on Saturday afternoon 5/15/21. The only thing that work in my house is the Apple TV HD running the app to my tv. Nothing else could be found.
The Silicon Dust folks are doing the best they can while Apple is just a penis company. I have been an Apple owner since Apple II in 1977. I am starting to really hate them if they didn't have the best stuff.

OTA Antenna and preamp
Model: HDHR5-4K
Device ID: 10812DA7
Firmware: 20210224
Apple TV HD
M1 Mackbook Pro
QNAP TS-251D NAS
Netgear Wifi 6 modem, Nighthawk wifi6 router and wifi6 extender
various iphones and ipads
Last edited by Mr.K on Wed May 19, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elvisimprsntr

Post by elvisimprsntr »

@nickk

I am curious why Channels app on iOS can still discover devices, but the HDHomeRun app can't.

cswaters1

Post by cswaters1 »

I'm getting the same issue, works on my Mac but not on my iphone, looks like there was an app store update version 20210513, hasn't worked for me since then on my iPhone but works on other devices...?

Can anyone confirm it's an IOS app issue and if so when a fix will happen as it's not much use for me unless IOS works with my device... PS I have an old HDHR-EU Dual so not sure if you've removed support for this product. No release notes for the fix so hard to determine... All it mentions is Fix AV sync issues.

Standing by, thanks for your support and a mostly solid product thats seen me through Windows Media Center to Apple TV and IOS :-)

edperez

Post by edperez »

Hi ever since I updated to the new app HDHomeRun iOS only won’t work I have even deleted and reinstalled the app. And still nothing. Please help But Channels app still work. Why isn't HDHomeRun fixing this already it's been a couple days. It looks like it was the new app update from HDHomeRun. And the Android app also works fine. It's just the IOS. Please HDHomeRun fix the IOS App!! Thank you

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

edperez wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:37 am Hi ever since I updated to the new app HDHomeRun iOS only won’t work I have even deleted and reinstalled the app. And still nothing. Please help But Channels app still work. Why isn't HDHomeRun fixing this already it's been a couple days. It looks like it was the new app update from HDHomeRun. And the Android app also works fine. It's just the IOS. Please HDHomeRun fix the IOS App!! Thank you
If you read the initial first post, you'd know that this is due to a new whitelist maintained by Apple, and that Apple needs to whitelist the HDHR apply to allow its discovery method to find tuners.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We are testing a secondary multi-step discovery mechanism in parallel with waiting for Apple to approve us as a vendor for sending normal HDHomeRun discovery messages.

The release with this new secondary discovery mechanism is 20210520.
Early access will be available shortly through TestFlight: https://testflight.apple.com/join/nn30hcfY

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

HDHomeRun App - iOS (20210520)
* Updated device discovery mechanism to ensure operation on latest iOS releases.
* Upgraded MPEG2 video decode on modern iOS devices.

If your HDHomeRun device is not discovered after updating to the 20210520 app release:
1) Ensure all HDHomeRun devices are running 20200225 or newer firmware.
2) Ensure your home router is not blocking multicast communication.

If your HDHomeRun device is discovered but your record engine is not discovered after updating to the 20210520 app release:
1) Ensure the record engine has a StorageID specified.

Upgraded MPEG2 video decode enabled on the following iOS devices:
* iPhone 8 and newer
* iPad 7th gen (2019) and newer
* iPad Air 3rd gen (2019) and newer
* iPad Mini 5rd gen (2019) and newer
* iPad Pro (2017) and newer

DarrenHill

Post by DarrenHill »

@nickk - Testflight only seems to be offering 20210513 (1), which isn't working?

ssanders79

Post by ssanders79 »

Within test flight click on previous versions. I installed the older version 20210505(1) and it works.

While this is NOT the ideal solution, it is an acceptable temporary workaround until the next update becomes widely available in the App Store.