Latest Google TV (Chromecast) update - HDHomeRun not working as expected

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
mrgareth

Latest Google TV (Chromecast) update - HDHomeRun not working as expected

Post by mrgareth »

Google recently rolled out an OS update to its Google Chromecast TV very recently... and since then I've been experiencing weird issues with the HDHomeRun app. Right now I'm watching a movie on "SBS Viceland" and it's pausing (or skipping a frame or two?) quite regularly. I've also had it pause, freeze etc - I don't recall it doing anything like that before I the Google TV updated. Changing the channel will often result in a frozen picture, but running audio in the background...

Is anyone else experiencing any weird issues?

Hardware Model HDHR5-4DT
Firmware Version 20210224
Device ID 1251CFD2

Version 20210429 (App) / 20210429b (UI)

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Latest Google TV (Chromecast) update - HDHomeRun not working as expected

Post by foxbat121 »

Your app is not up to date. There are some critical issue fixed in the latest version.

That being said, i have notice no side effects from the Google updates other than the problems from the app itself.

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

I had the same issue after a recent Chromecast w/Google TV update.
Firmware: 20210503
If I go to clear the cache on HDHomerun App (latest version) it fixes the issue but it eventually reoccurs up again maybe a day later. I also noticed that that consistently get a framerate stutter (slight hitch) which I never noticed before on things like ticker symbols scrolling on the bottom of the screen. If I view HDHomerun using my Samsung TV directly (source input) or on my Roku (different TV), I don't see any stuttering.

drhill26

Post by drhill26 »

This (frame drop/stutter) isn't just a Chromecast (with Google TV) issue. It happens on my Nvidia Shield devices as well and it's been going on for weeks. I don't watch much TV lately so I haven't noticed it though my wife falls to a show/movie and it's always noticeable. This is with the current and previous firmware for my Prime and Servio. Nvidia shields are all up to date. Live channels app (preferred usage) and HDHomeRun app. All apps and firmware are up to date.

heresam

Post by heresam »

Nothing has changed since posting 2 weeks ago and after installing the three android beta app updates. The issue introduced with 4-22 update has not been fixed. I use Kodi now. OTA is apparently not a high priority. :-(

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=75327

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

heresam

Post by heresam »

I need to include this with my setup:
No windows machine,
Other Nas: manual setup
I was trying to make plain, there is no improvement. Thanks anyway.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Fixed in 20210512: https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... ndroid.apk

It should be available in the app store tomorrow.

Nick

heresam

Post by heresam »

5-12 looks good. Thanks for the fix Nick and the link. :D

sillynutz

Post by sillynutz »

When I got google chomecast with google tv (GCCwGTV) back in Feb, it worked flawlessly with the HDHomeRun app at the time. Lately I've been experiencing screen freezes when changing channels, i would get audio, but the screen freezes. Exit the app and reopen it fixes it, but not ideal.

I finally decided to do some troubleshooting, i noticed the app was updated a few weeks ago, matching the timeframe when i started experiencing this issue. I rolled back to previous versions (feb 2021) and still got the same issue. My research finally landed me on this page and it seems to be a known issue and it was addressed with the latest version.

However, I'm still experiencing screen freezes issue when changing channels even with the latest version. I have 2 google chromecase with google tvs, both have the same symptoms. Is there anything I can provide to help with troubleshooting this issue?

thanks

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

sillynutz wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:33 am When I got google chomecast with google tv (GCCwGTV) back in Feb, it worked flawlessly with the HDHomeRun app at the time. Lately I've been experiencing screen freezes when changing channels, i would get audio, but the screen freezes. Exit the app and reopen it fixes it, but not ideal.

I finally decided to do some troubleshooting, i noticed the app was updated a few weeks ago, matching the timeframe when i started experiencing this issue. I rolled back to previous versions (feb 2021) and still got the same issue. My research finally landed me on this page and it seems to be a known issue and it was addressed with the latest version.

However, I'm still experiencing screen freezes issue when changing channels even with the latest version. I have 2 google chromecase with google tvs, both have the same symptoms. Is there anything I can provide to help with troubleshooting this issue?

thanks
I had the same issues, even worse. Sometime within the last week or so, HDHOMERUN (and Live Channels) on both my Chromecasts lost their minds. Both stopped discovering the HDHR Prime on wifi until I restarted Google TV, so I thought it was a wifi problem on my network. But everything else worked. Then I got the Live freezing video with audio, especially if I changed channels from non-DRM to a DRM channel and visa-versa. If I shutdown the system it would lose the HDHR connection again on next startup. In Live Channels I would get the same behavior with multiple errors. I typically have AC3 Passthru On, so turned all settings off in HDHR settings and restarted. Same issues. I do not see these issues on Sony Android TV 8. Today I went into settings and as a last resort I turned AC3 Passthru On and then Off. So far all is good again. I even turned AC3 Passthru back on and it's still all good. So, it's very disturbing that a single bug with AC3 Passthru setting has such a widespread effect.

I use Chromecast Google TV instead of Sony Android TV when I want 5.1 surround because the old Sony cannot handle AC3 Passthru without audio sync problems.

I am on 20210514 APP and 20210520 UI. On the Chromecast I'm on the latest V10 release.

caryh1

Post by caryh1 »

Yeah.. The uneven framerate seems much better but still hitches a little every 5 seconds or so sometimes. I am still seeing the issue when changing channels where the video freezes with the audio still playing a few seconds before it cuts out as well and then the video switches another frozen frame. This isn't ideal, but if you fast forward (even though it is live), it will fix the issue. I'm not positive about this but it also seems that video is getting slightly out of sync with audio where the video is a fraction of a second behind.
I do have additional reporting enabled. Here is my info from Chromecast w/GoogleTV.

com.silicondust.view
Chromecast with GoogleTV
Kernel Version 4.9.180
Android TV OS build
QTS1.210311.005.7231359

Model: HDFX-4K
Device ID: 10A04AC4
Firmware: 20210422

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

caryh1 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 10:26 pm Yeah.. The uneven framerate seems much better but still hitches a little every 5 seconds or so sometimes. I am still seeing the issue when changing channels where the video freezes with the audio still playing a few seconds before it cuts out as well and then the video switches another frozen frame. This isn't ideal, but if you fast forward (even though it is live), it will fix the issue. I'm not positive about this but it also seems that video is getting slightly out of sync with audio where the video is a fraction of a second behind.
I do have additional reporting enabled. Here is my info from Chromecast w/GoogleTV.

com.silicondust.view
Chromecast with GoogleTV
Kernel Version 4.9.180
Android TV OS build
QTS1.210311.005.7231359

Model: HDFX-4K
Device ID: 10A04AC4
Firmware: 20210422
Encountered same exact thing this morning on my CCwGTV.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

An update to my previous entry - The fix (toggle AC3 Passthru) isn't a fix, it's broken again today. It starts out normally on any channel, then the picture freezes and the audio continues. Later, the audio freezes also, then closes the picture then redisplays the current video frozen (seemingly caught up) and audio continues, then stops again and the process is repeated as long as you stay in the app. It seems a recent app update doesn't play nice with Google TV 10.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I have been watching recordings all day with my "Chromecast with Google TV" dongle without issue. Android TV OS version 10.

ATSC 1.0 broadcast or cable TV?

Live TV only or recordings?

Nick

Edit - the problem playing Music Choice channels has been confirmed and is being investigated.