HDhomerun DVR Software Recording Limits?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jcourso

HDhomerun DVR Software Recording Limits?

Post by jcourso »

Is there a limit to how many programs can be recorded &/or viewed simultaneously using HDhomerun DVR? I have 2 HDhomerun Connect dual tuners (4 tuners), but when I try to record 2 programs or more, or try to view a recorded program while recording 2 or more others, the playback video pixelates badly and frames freeze or drop out. I upgraded to a much faster more powerful PC, but the problem persists. Trying to figure out if it is hardware or software related. Any insights?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDhomerun DVR Software Recording Limits?

Post by signcarver »

I've had no issues recording 7 at once on the old white single bay McCloud that was part of the KS while viewing on 8 devices but it has been quite some time since tested such. Recording takes virtually no cpu power at all so a more powerful system doesn't do anything but can help with other software that may transcode.

Your symptoms are usually network related though can also be drive issues particularly if lots of seeking. I would also manually test each of the 4 tuners on each channel and then test 2 from each device then all 4 and typically do such wired as it could be that one device doesn't play that well. Also for the 4th gen (assuming since you said connect dual rather than duo) make sure you are on latest firmware as some had an issue on a recent firmware release that has since been fixed.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

What is the Device ID of your HDHomeRun?

Nick

jcourso

Post by jcourso »

My two boxes are:
HDHomeRun CONNECT 1047BC11
HDHomeRun CONNECT 10485265

Thinking it is probably a network throughput issue, I just bought a gaming laptop with a 1TB SSD & Intel Core i7-10750H CPU, and also a new gigabit ethernet switch, and will hook them up today. Hopefully that will fix me up. The arrangement I'm using is the two HDHR tuner boxes, the laptop, and my TV all wired to the gigabit ethernet switch with 1-meter Cat-5e cables. I'm also getting a pro-quality 4-way coax splitter today for the antenna wall jack setup (using an old Tandy Radio Shack one now).