Win10 HDHR app No Audio

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
TBR

Win10 HDHR app No Audio

Post by TBR »

Running 20210422 version of Windows 10 HDHR app
Running 20210429b firmware of Connect 4K tuner

When tuning to an ATSC 1.0 station, an error message pops up that "This device does not support Float audio required to play this channel/recording"

The channels do play properly using VLC.

The ATSC 3.0 channels are currently too weak to test.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Win10 HDHR app No Audio

Post by nickk »

Interesting - we switch to higher quality float audio representation in this release.

What is the audio output path on this PC?

Nick

TBR

Post by TBR »

nickk wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:14 pm Interesting - we switch to higher quality float audio representation in this release.

What is the audio output path on this PC?

Nick
This PC uses an RX-580 GPU to output 4K to the TV via AMD High Definition Audio Device. It also has S/PDIF digital audio capability on the ASUS Prime B550 Plus motherboard (with a Ryzen 5 5600X CPU), but that produces the same error message when selected.

I'm running the Radeon 21.4.1 software/drivers released 4/13/2021. Nothing seemed to pop up when I searched for float audio in the way of additional drivers, etc.

Audio does work on my under-powered desktop computer with an AMD E2-6110 APU with AMD Radeon R2 Graphics (and a bad motherboard that's not worth replacing).

On an off-topic note, the new 20210429b firmware eliminated the Detroit mobile channel 120.99 along with a couple spurious 5000+ channels. I'm in a fringe area and suddenly fighting additional 5G interference (filter on order): I'd like to have the 120.99 channel back.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Weird - that should support PCM float.

I added code to switch back to int16 for audio if float fails. It will be in the next release.

Nick

TBR

Post by TBR »

nickk wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:07 pm Weird - that should support PCM float.

I added code to switch back to int16 for audio if float fails. It will be in the next release.

Nick
Thanks.

In the meantime, I'll spend a few hours trying to convince my hardware to cooperate. Perhaps a search for "PCM float" will be more productive.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

it should all be handled by the windows audio mixer. Look for anything that forces the audio format or relates to exclusive app control of audio (disable exclusive).

Nick

TBR

Post by TBR »

nickk wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:52 pm it should all be handled by the windows audio mixer. Look for anything that forces the audio format or relates to exclusive app control of audio (disable exclusive)
Unfortunately Windows fumbles when it comes to audio on this PC. I did try disabling exclusive control, to no avail.

Windows presents a very narrow range of formats through the HDMI interface:
Max number of channels 2
HDCP Supported
Bit depths: 16-bit, 20-bit, 24-bit
Sample rates: 32.0 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48.0 kHz
Encoded formats: Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital

The representation of only 2 channels is an artifact related to the speakers in the TV. The PC is actually sending 5.1/7.1 audio which the TV passes along to the sound system. I could not find any quick fixes to enable floating-point support, but I suspect that it may be related to the lack of a working Realtek audio device. At any rate, restoring the 16-bit stream should work at no appreciable decrease in quality (especially with my equipment ... and my old ears).

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

If you use HDMI for audio, realtek has no role in it (it is only used when you use on-board analog audio out). It is the video card's driver that handles HDMI audio. So, you need look into your AMD video driver.

TBR

Post by TBR »

nickk wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:07 pm Weird - that should support PCM float.

Nick
Just updated to the 20210505 version.

Still getting an error message on the aforementioned machine. Now, however, it states "This device does not support PCM audio required to play this channel/recording"

This happens on both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 channels.

I'm not having sound issues with any other app or program. I haven't tried it with the older/weaker devices.

TBR

Post by TBR »

Now running HDHR 1.1.315 version...

The Ryzen 5 5600X machine still throws an error because it doesn't support PCM audio, whether integer or floating-point.
It sure would be nice to get sound back.

The laptop now has sound again on the ATSC 1.0 channels, but not ATSC 3.0

The other 2 Windows machines play, although with some issues because they lack in the computation department.

Any idea on when this might be addressed?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Do you get sound using regular speakers/headphones on the analog output?

TBR

Post by TBR »

jasonl wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 pm Do you get sound using regular speakers/headphones on the analog output?
No difference with headphones.

The Ryzen machine throws a "This device does not support PCM audio..." error message, and the headphone jack goes to the 7.1 audio connector on the motherboard.

It did work well before the change to PCM, although this app changes so often I can't say which version (probably before 5/4/2021).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

TBR wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:53 am
jasonl wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:49 pm Do you get sound using regular speakers/headphones on the analog output?
No difference with headphones.

The Ryzen machine throws a "This device does not support PCM audio..." error message, and the headphone jack goes to the 7.1 audio connector on the motherboard.

It did work well before the change to PCM, although this app changes so often I can't say which version (probably before 5/4/2021).
It always used to be 16-bit PCM. The new releases output floating point PCM (better sound quality) but fall back to 16-bit PCM if that doesn't work. The error message you are seeing indicates the system doesn't support 16-bit PCM which is weird because that is what the older app releases output.

TBR

Post by TBR »

nickk wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:22 am It always used to be 16-bit PCM. The new releases output floating point PCM (better sound quality) but fall back to 16-bit PCM if that doesn't work. The error message you are seeing indicates the system doesn't support 16-bit PCM which is weird because that is what the older app releases output.
Did you have Dolby enabled before? This machine has 2 Dolby interpreters (???), listed somewhere above, probably because it has Dolby audio processing both on the ASUS motherboard and the Radeon GPU.

I won't pretend to be familiar with any of this, but from what I gleaned PCM is an uncompressed stream related to analog whereas Dolby (and similar) are compressed digital streams. The Ryzen machine is set up for gaming, more or less, and has no DVD, CD, or any external drives, etc. I don't see a way to add PCM to its capabilities.

And NOW I remember that there was an "allow AC-3 passthrough" or some similar switch in the app settings that I had to turn off. That switch is gone now.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

PCM is just plain old regular audio. There is nothing to add for that, as it's just a basic part of the OS and has been for as long as computers have had sound cards. If your system isn't even playing that, then you've somehow mangled the audio path, which I've heard is relatively easy to do on some of these Asus boards. I'm using a different B550-F board, and there's a very specific set of steps I had to follow when I first set it up to wipe out the automatic drivers that Windows installed and put in the Asus-specific ones to make everything work right. And I had to disable automatic driver updates from Windows Update, because otherwise Windows Update trashes the vendor-specific drivers and replaces them with the generic chip manufacturer ones the next time the chip manufacturer pushes a new version to Windows Update.