HDHR Apps - Windows 10 & Android Stutter

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Soapdishbandit

HDHR Apps - Windows 10 & Android Stutter

Post by Soapdishbandit »

Hi Everyone,

I am hopeful someone can help me. I've had this issue for a very long time and have been researching to no success.

The HD Homerun App for Windows and android will have an almost rhythmic stutter every second or so. It is more apparent in 60 fps text scrolling.

This happens on my Nvidia Shield, any of my android phones, and Windows 10.

Now, what is driving me crazy is when I view through Live TV App (Google), there is zero stutter. Same with using Kodi and using the PVR backend.

I have a HD Homerun Prime 3 and an OTA 4-tuner 4K.

PC Specs:

i7-3770
32GB RAM
2060 RTX

PC and Nvidia Shield all connected via 1.0 gb/s CAT 6a.

I theorize that the app is doing something with 59.94 vs 60 refresh rate? Again, no idea. Thanks!

Jeremy

khubbell

Re: HDHR Apps - Windows 10 & Android Stutter

Post by khubbell »

I am also seeing stuttering or frame drop on the Android TV HDHomeRun app since it's last update. This is on the Nvidia Shield (2017). I'm using the HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO and Extend turners. All turners are on the current public firmware and the Android TV app and Shield are also current.

When using Plex or Live Channels, using the Live Channels beta tuner, I see no stuttering. When I use Live Channels app with the HDHomeRun app or the stand-a-loan HDHomeRun app I see the stuttering.

Soapdishbandit

Post by Soapdishbandit »

khubbell wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:40 am I am also seeing stuttering or frame drop on the Android TV HDHomeRun app since it's last update. This is on the Nvidia Shield (2017). I'm using the HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO and Extend turners. All turners are on the current public firmware and the Android TV app and Shield are also current.

When using Plex or Live Channels, using the Live Channels beta tuner, I see no stuttering. When I use Live Channels app with the HDHomeRun app or the stand-a-loan HDHomeRun app I see the stuttering.
Same. Plex live tv as a tuner (or previously recorded content) does not stutter. If I were to hypothesize, I think it has something to do with the apps refresh rate interpolation?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

From the description, it does sound like maybe something with framerate switching is not firing off. What should happen is that if the framerate of the video is different than the framerate of the HDMI signal, the app should ask the OS to change the signal to match the video whenever supported Most, if not all of our supported platforms support this. For sure, Android TV and Windows should be working. I will try to replicate this tonight and work with the dev team to see what we can find out.

billyray

Post by billyray »

I am having the same issue. Nvidia Shield (2017) as well.
Soapdishbandit wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:46 pm
khubbell wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:40 am I am also seeing stuttering or frame drop on the Android TV HDHomeRun app since it's last update. This is on the Nvidia Shield (2017). I'm using the HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO and Extend turners. All turners are on the current public firmware and the Android TV app and Shield are also current.

Same. Plex live tv as a tuner (or previously recorded content) does not stutter. If I were to hypothesize, I think it has something to do with the apps refresh rate interpolation?

Soapdishbandit

Post by Soapdishbandit »

NedS wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:15 pm From the description, it does sound like maybe something with framerate switching is not firing off. What should happen is that if the framerate of the video is different than the framerate of the HDMI signal, the app should ask the OS to change the signal to match the video whenever supported Most, if not all of our supported platforms support this. For sure, Android TV and Windows should be working. I will try to replicate this tonight and work with the dev team to see what we can find out.
NedS,

Thank you! Just to clarify, seems to be happening in the app for Win 10 and all my android devices (Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro & 2015), Samsung Note 20 Ultra on 720p/60 content.

1080i is another issue. Nvidia shield properly deinterlaces and will show @ 60 hz (or roundabout). Anything that is 1080i on my phones (even if they can support hw mpeg-2 now), still interlaced and @ 30 (even when 60).

Plex, Android Live TV Network Tuner Beta (except if I map HD Homerun tuner within the Live TV app), and HD Homerun from within Kodi work fine.

Again, thank you for looking into this!!!

Best,
Jeremy

Dxcv

Post by Dxcv »

NedS wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:15 pm From the description, it does sound like maybe something with framerate switching is not firing off. What should happen is that if the framerate of the video is different than the framerate of the HDMI signal, the app should ask the OS to change the signal to match the video whenever supported Most, if not all of our supported platforms support this. For sure, Android TV and Windows should be working. I will try to replicate this tonight and work with the dev team to see what we can find out.
Also experiencing this on my 2019 Shield TV. Another piece to the puzzle, I have beta framerate match button enabled and before the last update, I used to be able to press it in the menu and it would force the framerate. After the update, it does not do anything.

Soapdishbandit

Post by Soapdishbandit »

Any update? Thanks!

banders5144

Post by banders5144 »

I can confirm seeing the same issues on my 2019 Shield Pro. Can also confirm that using the Beta Tuner does NOT have stutter, so will be using for now.

NitDawg

Post by NitDawg »

Same. Updated HD app on shield a few days ago (Shield TV pro 2019) and the stuttering makes programming almost unwatchable now.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Try using the latest HDHomeRun app beta from google play, or un-enroll from the beta program, (DO NOT UNINSTALL IF USING ANDROID FOR DVR) uninstall, then reinstall, to get back onto the stable version.

Soapdishbandit

Post by Soapdishbandit »

NedS wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:41 pm Try using the latest HDHomeRun app beta from google play, or un-enroll from the beta program, (DO NOT UNINSTALL IF USING ANDROID FOR DVR) uninstall, then reinstall, to get back onto the stable version.
Thanks NedS.

No luck. This issue has been (for me at least), ongoing for years. But I did try the new app. Also, Windows 10 HD Homerun app showing same stutter, doesn't matter the stream (h.264/720p/60hz, or mpeg-2 1080i or 720p). Still stuttering every 1 second or so. Almost like a micro stutter?

spocoeric

Post by spocoeric »

NitDawg wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:47 am Same. Updated HD app on shield a few days ago (Shield TV pro 2019) and the stuttering makes programming almost unwatchable now.
Same here. The 042921 release introduced the issue for me.

Soapdishbandit

Post by Soapdishbandit »

Any further update?

BillSili
Device ID: 13273C65

Post by BillSili »

Still stuttering - All Android apps - unwatchable.