HDHR Apps - Windows 10 & Android Stutter

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
spocoeric

Re: HDHR Apps - Windows 10 & Android Stutter

Post by spocoeric »

loopium wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 pm
banders5144 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:38 am I agree being behind real time as well. Is there a reason why the Beta Tuner on Live Channels doesn't have this issue?
Double this. On Nvidia Shield 2017, the Beta Tuner source is frame-perfect. I've always been having stutters since I use the HDHR source in Live Channels app (and in HDHR app directly too).

EU tuner : 50 Hz broadcasting (of course, refresh rate is set on 50 Hz too on the Shield).
Yup, I have no stutters with Beta Tuner, Channels app, Plex or Kodi. Just the HDHomerun app. But of course my cable provider puts DRM on too many channels, so I'm stuck with this app. Super frustrating.

jbahlman@gmail.com
Device ID: 13263ED4 13267ED9

Post by jbahlman@gmail.com »

With the new app, i have had the video completely stop while the audio keeps going as if nothing happened. This has happened on both live tv and recorded. When i skipped back it went back maybe 1-2 minutes instead of 10 seconds and all was good. I also had the sound be ~5 seconds ahead of the video while watching a recorded hockey game. The goal happened before the player crossed the blue line. Again i skipped back and all was good.

I am not sure what was fixed in the last few sw versions but i wish it was beta so we could turn them off. I had no viewing issues before the load that caused the stuttering.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

jbahlman@gmail.com wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:39 pm With the new app, i have had the video completely stop while the audio keeps going as if nothing happened. This has happened on both live tv and recorded. When i skipped back it went back maybe 1-2 minutes instead of 10 seconds and all was good. I also had the sound be ~5 seconds ahead of the video while watching a recorded hockey game. The goal happened before the player crossed the blue line. Again i skipped back and all was good.

I am not sure what was fixed in the last few sw versions but i wish it was beta so we could turn them off. I had no viewing issues before the load that caused the stuttering.
Windows or Android?

Is it repeatable when you re-watch the recording again?

Also please enable "send diagnostic information" in the HDHomeRun app and post your Device ID so we can check the diagnostic logs.

Nick

jbahlman@gmail.com

Nvidia shield. It did not repeat at the same spot when replayed. But this never happened before these current issues. I will enable diagnostics tonight when i get home.

jbahlman@gmail.com

I checked send diagnostics on the app last night right after it happened unfortunately. But the audio and video kept getting out of sync after i turned on send diagnostics. My prime ids are in my profile and both already had send diagnostics checked.

jbahlman@gmail.com

It just did the video pause while the audio kept playing. I skipped back and its good for now. Send diagnostics is set. My profile has the device ids.

NitDawg

Post by NitDawg »

nickk wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:03 am
NitDawg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:28 am Updated, same problem. Watching soccer, everyone pauses every 10 seconds or so. Other content gets really messy too.

I uninstalled and side loaded 20210227, everything runs fine. Need to figure out how to keep auto updates off, since I know something happened when it started stuttering again.
Are you sure you were running 20210512 or 20210513? you can check the app version from the app settings menu.

Nick
In the app: 20210514(app) 20210429b(ui)

If I pause and play in the buffer it doesn't look like it happens. Live content, stuttering still happens. If I fall back to 0227 it works just fine.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

NitDawg wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:18 pm In the app: 20210514(app) 20210429b(ui)
If I pause and play in the buffer it doesn't look like it happens. Live content, stuttering still happens. If I fall back to 0227 it works just fine.
Can you please make a short camera phone video to show the problem... I suspect we are describing different things as 0227 has the same frame rate adjust handling.

Nick

jbahlman@gmail.com

Did anyone have a chance to check my diagnostics? It only happens on my living room shield. But that is the only one i upgraded. The others are back on the versions before the stuttering started. It did it 3 times during the show resident alien we watched tonight.

Jedi71

Post by Jedi71 »

I, too, have new slight stuttering on Apple TV for the last 2-3 weeks.

20210513 app
20210513 UI

HDHR5-4K 10809602 Firm: 20210224
HHDD-2TB 15303290 Firm: 20210227

loopium

Post by loopium »

Still having stutters with the latest HDHR app update... I don't understand : the Shield hardware is totally able to handle all the data that the HDHR is giving it right ? So where's the problem ?

Nvidia Shield 2017, 8.2.2 update.
HDHR Connect Duo, up to date.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

What channels or TV shows is the problem most noticeable on?

If you are on Windows 10 and you have an AMD GPU older the Vega (AMD added deinterlacing supprt in Vega) the app will disable hardware MPEG2 decode on 480i and 1080i channels and drop to 29.97fps. It should still be smooth, just lower frame rate than a GPU with working deinterlacing.

I am testing on Windows 10 with a Nvidia GPU, Shield (older generation), and Chromecast with Google TV.

BTW - The Weather Channel has some stuttering issues (looks like frames out of order) but these issues are in the broadcast itself and not related to the HDHomeRun app.

Nick

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:20 pm What channels or TV shows is the problem most noticeable on?

If you are on Windows 10 and you have an AMD GPU older the Vega (AMD added deinterlacing supprt in Vega) the app will disable hardware MPEG2 decode on 480i and 1080i channels and drop to 29.97fps. It should still be smooth, just lower frame rate than a GPU with working deinterlacing.

I am testing on Windows 10 with a Nvidia GPU, Shield (older generation), and Chromecast with Google TV.

BTW - The Weather Channel has some stuttering issues (looks like frames out of order) but these issues are in the broadcast itself and not related to the HDHomeRun app.

Nick
I'm using the HDHomeRun app (20210514 update) with a HDHR5-2DT (HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO ; 20210224 firmware version), on a Nvidia Shield 2017 (display stettings sets on 50 Hz)

Each channel suffers from stuttering issue, it seems not to be related to channel but to the app itself or the way the Shield is decoding (?). As I mentionned previously, when using Beta Tuner source from the Live Channels app (Google), it's butter smooth (no DRM channels though).

More precision, I'm in Europe (France) and the broadcast is 50 Hz, not 60 Hz. But yeah, every 3-4 seconds the video stutters. I tested almost every previous APKs of the HDHR app, and the stuttering are still there, even though it seems slightly better with the last update (watching sports such as soccer is a good test to clearly see these stutters).

I'm pretty sure you can fix it cause the last app update seems slightly better.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

loopium wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:22 am I'm using the HDHomeRun app (20210514 update) with a HDHR5-2DT (HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO ; 20210224 firmware version), on a Nvidia Shield 2017 (display stettings sets on 50 Hz)

Each channel suffers from stuttering issue, it seems not to be related to channel but to the app itself or the way the Shield is decoding (?). As I mentionned previously, when using Beta Tuner source from the Live Channels app (Google), it's butter smooth (no DRM channels though).

More precision, I'm in Europe (France) and the broadcast is 50 Hz, not 60 Hz. But yeah, every 3-4 seconds the video stutters. I tested almost every previous APKs of the HDHR app, and the stuttering are still there, even though it seems slightly better with the last update (watching sports such as soccer is a good test to clearly see these stutters).
50Hz should be fine. If the content was filmed/mastered at 59.97 and converted to 50Hz the broadcast itself will have some quirks but that doesn't sound like what you are describing.

Can you please make a 5 minute recording of a channel, preferably one that is playing something where the stutter is more noticeable.

To make the recording modify this URL:
http://hdhomerun.local:5004/auto/v2?duration=300

If you have more than one HDHomeRun device change hdhomerun.local to the device id (.local).
Change v2 to the channel number you want to capture.

When complete please use a drive service like Dropbox or Google Drive and PM me the share link.

I will test here by putting it on a modulator and setting my Shield to 50Hz.

Nick

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 am
loopium wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:22 am I'm using the HDHomeRun app (20210514 update) with a HDHR5-2DT (HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO ; 20210224 firmware version), on a Nvidia Shield 2017 (display stettings sets on 50 Hz)

50Hz should be fine. If the content was filmed/mastered at 59.97 and converted to 50Hz the broadcast itself will have some quirks but that doesn't sound like what you are describing.

Can you please make a 5 minute recording of a channel, preferably one that is playing something where the stutter is more noticeable.

To make the recording modify this URL:
http://hdhomerun.local:5004/auto/v2?duration=300

If you have more than one HDHomeRun device change hdhomerun.local to the device id (.local).
Change v2 to the channel number you want to capture.

When complete please use a drive service like Dropbox or Google Drive and PM me the share link.

I will test here by putting it on a modulator and setting my Shield to 50Hz.

Nick
Thanks for taking the time @nickk.

I captured 5 min of a soccer match with your method, but it seems like the stutters do not happen on my PC (ubuntu 21.04, player : mpv) ; then IMO it's not hardware related, good news.

So I also captured with my phone the same match, on which you can clearly see at 2-3 seconds and 13 seconds significant stutters I really see. And I can tell you it's not related to one channel only, but to every channels.

Unfortunately, I can't PM here (not enough posts), so you can download these 2 files at this URL : https://www.grosfichiers.com/U4fE9rf5t3M.

I really hope you can do something to fix it. I'm here if you need more information/videos.