HDHR Apps - Windows 10 & Android Stutter

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
loopium

Re: HDHR Apps - Windows 10 & Android Stutter

Post by loopium »

loopium wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:41 am
nickk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:06 am
loopium wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:22 am I'm using the HDHomeRun app (20210514 update) with a HDHR5-2DT (HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO ; 20210224 firmware version), on a Nvidia Shield 2017 (display stettings sets on 50 Hz)

Each channel suffers from stuttering issue, it seems not to be related to channel but to the app itself or the way the Shield is decoding (?). As I mentionned previously, when using Beta Tuner source from the Live Channels app (Google), it's butter smooth (no DRM channels though).

More precision, I'm in Europe (France) and the broadcast is 50 Hz, not 60 Hz. But yeah, every 3-4 seconds the video stutters. I tested almost every previous APKs of the HDHR app, and the stuttering are still there, even though it seems slightly better with the last update (watching sports such as soccer is a good test to clearly see these stutters).
50Hz should be fine. If the content was filmed/mastered at 59.97 and converted to 50Hz the broadcast itself will have some quirks but that doesn't sound like what you are describing.

Can you please make a 5 minute recording of a channel, preferably one that is playing something where the stutter is more noticeable.

To make the recording modify this URL:
http://hdhomerun.local:5004/auto/v2?duration=300

If you have more than one HDHomeRun device change hdhomerun.local to the device id (.local).
Change v2 to the channel number you want to capture.

When complete please use a drive service like Dropbox or Google Drive and PM me the share link.

I will test here by putting it on a modulator and setting my Shield to 50Hz.

Nick
Thanks for taking the time @nickk.

I captured 5 min of a soccer match with your method, but it seems like the stutters do not happen on my PC (ubuntu 21.04, player : mpv) ; then IMO it's not hardware related, good news. And it's not a connection problem, I have 300 Mbit/s very stable (cable).

So I also captured with my phone the same match, on which you can clearly see at 2-3 seconds and 13 seconds significant stutters I really see. And I can tell you it's not related to one channel only, but to every channels.

Unfortunately, I can't PM here (not enough posts), so you can download these 2 files at this URL : https://www.grosfichiers.com/U4fE9rf5t3M.

I really hope you can do something to fix it. I'm here if you need more information/videos.

EDIT : also captured a UHD channel encoded in HEVC, and it's very choppy as you can see here : https://www.grosfichiers.com/vk8K8stRVhA.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The capture plays smoothly on my Shield. The HDHomeRun app autodetected that it was 50Hz and switch the Shield HDMI output to 50Hz.

What version of the HDHomeRun app are you using?

Nick

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:26 am The capture plays smoothly on my Shield. The HDHomeRun app autodetected that it was 50Hz and switch the Shield HDMI output to 50Hz.

What version of the HDHomeRun app are you using?

Nick
Yes, as I said the captured video plays smoothly on my computer too. However, when watching live channel on my Shield, it stutters as you can see with my phone footage. Of course, my TV display settings on the Shield is set on 50 Hz.

I'm on the latest update of the HDHR app (210514).

EDIT : I've just tested watching channels via the VLC app, and it's butter smooth. My conclusion is that : it's not the Shield (decodes perfectly when using VLC app or Tuner Beta in Live channels), it's not my internet connection, it's not the Live Channels app, it's not the HDHR hardware, but it's the HDHR app (software).

EDIT 2 : I'm pretty sure if I paid for the Channels DVR android app, I would have the same smooth playback as I have with VLC.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Still trying to reproduce a problem. I tested it both as a live TV channel and playing it as a recording.

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:34 am Still trying to reproduce a problem. I tested it both as a live TV channel and playing it as a recording.
Maybe trying to see if it's a buffering/cache issue ? Or see why VLC decoding is better than the HDHR app ? Or could it be related somehow to EPG, cause VLC and Tuner Beta source in Live Channels do not have it.

EDIT : currently testing on a soccer match, and I'd more bet on a buffering issue or something like that. Cause when I pause and play 2-3 seconds afterwards, I still see stutters but not with the same frequency.

spocoeric

Post by spocoeric »

nickk wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:34 am Still trying to reproduce a problem. I tested it both as a live TV channel and playing it as a recording.
Can we narrow down what devices are having the problems? Nick, you mentioned testing on and older Nvidia Shield TV. Personally, I am having the issue on the 2019 Shield TV Pro. AI Enhancement is set to basic (there is no off option), as I only use a 1080p TV. I see the same issue whether AC3 pass-through is on or off. Wondering if everyone's issue is the same device or not?

loopium

Post by loopium »

spocoeric wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:32 pm
Can we narrow down what devices are having the problems? Nick, you mentioned testing on and older Nvidia Shield TV. Personally, I am having the issue on the 2019 Shield TV Pro. AI Enhancement is set to basic (there is no off option), as I only use a 1080p TV. I see the same issue whether AC3 pass-through is on or off. Wondering if everyone's issue is the same device or not?
What frequency does your channels broadcast at ? 60 or 50 Hz ?

And what about this nickk :
spocoeric wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:47 pm
Nickk, you mentioned before that the issue could be caused by the client's implementation of software decoding. But my understanding is that the Nvidia Shield uses hardware decoding. Maybe an option to toggle the decoding between hardware and software in the settings menu may be a good idea?

loopium

Post by loopium »

Well, I'd love to see this problem fixed by the end of the European soccer championship. It's ironic that third-party players do better than the officiel HDHR software (on Shield at least) ; except for DRM channels and EPG, which is why I don't give up on this issue !

As in my previous post, maybe investigating with the buffering and/or decoding methods (software, hardware...)

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We are adding some additional diagnostic tracking to the app which should tell us more.

Nick

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:24 am We are adding some additional diagnostic tracking to the app which should tell us more.

Nick
Alright. For your information, when I pause then play few seconds later, everything seems to be smooth. So my guess is that it's related to buffering (and maybe to decoding too).

NitDawg

Post by NitDawg »

I second loopium. I've been swamped with work the past 2 weeks, so I failed to follow-up with a previous post.

I have 2x 2019 Shield Pro, one on a projector, one on an OLED. I still have the stuttering via my HDHR3-CC on either display. (again, can be eliminated with side-loading an older version of HD app).

Stuttering occurs with live playback in: HD app or Live Channels (via the HDHR tuner).

Stuttering does NOT occur with live playback on Live Channels with the beta tuner (via my HDHR4). Pausing and then playing back also eliminates the stutter.

This also happens via playback on my Android Note 8...watching HDHR3-CC...live playback = stutter. Pause for a second or so, resume, no stutter.

loopium

Post by loopium »

NitDawg wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:49 pm I second loopium. I've been swamped with work the past 2 weeks, so I failed to follow-up with a previous post.

I have 2x 2019 Shield Pro, one on a projector, one on an OLED. I still have the stuttering via my HDHR3-CC on either display. (again, can be eliminated with side-loading an older version of HD app).

Stuttering occurs with live playback in: HD app or Live Channels (via the HDHR tuner).

Stuttering does NOT occur with live playback on Live Channels with the beta tuner (via my HDHR4). Pausing and then playing back also eliminates the stutter.

This also happens via playback on my Android Note 8...watching HDHR3-CC...live playback = stutter. Pause for a second or so, resume, no stutter.
Thanks for your feedback, well I'm not alone nor mad with this issue ahah. We've almost identify the issue, now it's up to SilconDust to try and fix it ; asap would be really appreciate.

Soapdishbandit

Post by Soapdishbandit »

Choppy still happens on all my clients with this app. Doesn't matter if it's cable card or 4K OTA tuner, mpeg-2 or h.264, still stutters. Doesn't happen with plex or live tv beta tuner.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Soapdishbandit wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:30 pm Choppy still happens on all my clients with this app. Doesn't matter if it's cable card or 4K OTA tuner, mpeg-2 or h.264, still stutters. Doesn't happen with plex or live tv beta tuner.
Test - try pausing for a few seconds then resuming playback.

Nick

loopium

Post by loopium »

nickk wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:14 pm
Soapdishbandit wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:30 pm Choppy still happens on all my clients with this app. Doesn't matter if it's cable card or 4K OTA tuner, mpeg-2 or h.264, still stutters. Doesn't happen with plex or live tv beta tuner.
Test - try pausing for a few seconds then resuming playback.

Nick
Hello nickk,

Have you eventually found the issue ? I'm very disappointed to watch the European soccer championship with stutters... And it's become literally unwatchable since the last update of the app (210707 or something). I'm fed up using VLC with no EPG and horrible UI. Please do something, and if necessary I can give you more info or anything else.