Audio echo

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
shawn_75
Device ID: 151032EF

Audio echo

Post by shawn_75 »

For at least 4 months now, one of my stations has a weird audio echo on many of its commercials. It is always the commercials, but not all commercials have the echo. The main program never has the echo. I have reported it to the station with no response. Their contact us link directs you to a web form and doesn't provide an email address for the station engineer. I don't think this is a HDHomerun specific issue as I get the echo on televisions connected directly to an antenna. I'd appreciate if someone could look at the recordings and give me some information to attempt to pass to the station about this problem.

The station is WHAS in Louisville, KY

Link to two recordings. One has no echo the marked one does.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnqfGUUSuUBZizNoJ-91LM3oMlUW

Thank you.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Audio echo

Post by NedS »

Oh weird, that's definitely a problem at the source/station. I would bet that something is set up incorrectly with the equipment that handles local commercial injections, which is why the main programs don't have an issue (even the local news). This is like when my local NBC affiliate broadcasted descriptive audio instead of normal audio. It's amazing to me that major affiliates in relatively large TV markets don't have at least one person monitoring the output, at least from time to time.

I left them a message at their contact number, but it sounds like you did that as well. Not a huge problem for the viewer, since it's just a commercial, but if I were a business and I paid for a local commercial, I'd be pretty unhappy with the station for messing it up.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Something is upmixing the stereo audio into 5.1 and doing a lousy job of it. The audio is in C, L, R, and SR (but not SL for some reason). Anything that is the same between the channels (e.g. anything that is spoken) is duplicated between C and L/R and slightly out of sync between them, resulting in the echo or robot voice.

Bill Brown is the Director of Technology at WHAS, and their email addresses are in the format of the first initial followed by the last name at whas11.com. I assume you can assemble the address given that information.

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

NedS and jasonl, thank you both.

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

jasonl wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 pm Something is upmixing the stereo audio into 5.1 and doing a lousy job of it. The audio is in C, L, R, and SR (but not SL for some reason). Anything that is the same between the channels (e.g. anything that is spoken) is duplicated between C and L/R and slightly out of sync between them, resulting in the echo or robot voice.

Bill Brown is the Director of Technology at WHAS, and their email addresses are in the format of the first initial followed by the last name at whas11.com. I assume you can assemble the address given that information.
Out of curiosity, did you use something like TS Reader to figure that out?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The best way to do it would probably just be to use an audio editor like Audacity that supports multiple channels. You can see the volume levels on each track, and selectively mute individual tracks and play it back to see what you get. If you mute C, you can still hear the people talking but the robot voice is gone. Past experience tells me this comes from getting multiple copies of the audio out of sync from each other.