repeat recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
wayne1935
Device ID: 131696F1

repeat recordings

Post by wayne1935 »

We record TV shows for time shifting and commercial removal. After we watch a show we delete it.

This has worked fine for years but lately recent shows are being recorded again. For instance, several of the Chicago shows from Jan/Feb recorded again last evening.

Our settings are to record current season on a single channel (the primary local TV HD channel).

Are we missing something that prevents these more recent shows from recording again?

TIA,

wayne

NedS
Silicondust

Re: repeat recordings

Post by NedS »

Are you recording them from the HDHomeRun app, or deleting the file outside of the app (PC, NAS, etc)? If the recording is deleted from the HDHomeRun app, the HDHomeRun will mark it as "intentionally deleted, don't record again" (in a matter of speaking). If the file is missing (manually deleted), the HDHomeRun DVR software will assume something wrong happened (corruption, a drive failed, etc), and attempt to re-record the episode.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

And further on that recent (current season) is anything originally aired in past 90 days (for some reason people had trouble understanding the word recent so they changed such to state current season which isn't an accurate description as the season may be older than 90 days or the next season starts within 90 days of the last season)... it also isn't just this current season which to me that implies.

One thing you can do is set the rules as "AfterOriginalAirdateOnly" and set that to "now" (or in the future) and it will only record airings marked as "new" (or at least originally aired after the date set if you don't update the rule later to a later date) but I don't believe this is available in the app.

I have a webpage that can run a script to do this for me but no longer share it as SD changed the cors policy a few years back so the page needs to be changed to allow manual entry of ip of tuner rather than use my.hdhomerun.com/discover to get tuner id's. It also had some other useful scripts to go through all rules to change the padding to a set default and reset ChannelOnly rules as it used to be (long ago) 0 or null would reset it but that now ends up never matching and also wouldn't list that the parameter was set so it appeared correct

wayne1935

Post by wayne1935 »

Thanx guys.

A little more about what we do as far as recordings. We record to a PC, convert and strip ads using MCE Bubby and then play them through our TV with the Roku Plex app. We usually delete a program immediately after viewing using the Plex delete function. Occasionally I'll delete a file directly from the HHD folder. The shows in question were within the 90 day window. I don't believe programs from early Feb should have recorded again on April 14 or am I misinterpreting how the 90 day window works?

This is how we've handled our recordings as long as I can remember. However, this Covid stuff has screwed up how the networks re-broadcast shows. Network reruns frequently appear on local sub-channels but they don't record.

As far as I can tell we are up-to-date on everything (SD firmware/software, Plex software, Roku and our recording PC). Are we doing something wrong?

wayne

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

That's exactly how the 90 day window works as the date you gave was 60 days ago (at most 72 days)... to delete and not rerecord again you must do so with app not plex or file manager. I know some who used mcebuddy left a a small file behind for the app to delete later and to prevent recording again (won't rerecord if it already has such). Basically has to have about 12K for the meta data and my understanding possibly a bit more to actually have video for the app to do so (though I would expect as long as the first 64 ts blocks are there it should allow such to be deleted... I think the reason why many did 100K rather than 12K is they needed a bit more for it not to rerecord when the "stub" file was present).

wayne1935

Post by wayne1935 »

Thanx again, signcarver.

I used to archive converted MCEBuddy material to a portable HD but I haven't had any problems with MCEBuudy in a long time; so I've stopped archiving material.

I'm not real familiar with the "ins and outs" of MCEBuddy; so I'm not sure if I can copy the original material back to the SD record folder so SD won't continue to re-record material in the 90 day window.

I'll post the question to the MCEBuddy forum and if I don't get an answer I'll try to archive the original material to the SD record folder.

wayne

jbahlman@gmail.com
Device ID: 13263ED4 13267ED9

Post by jbahlman@gmail.com »

I use MCEbuddy and put the shows without commercials back in the hdhomerun directory. I also save off a copy just in case in an archive directory. But i use the hdhomerun app for my viewing. You could probably keep the original files where they are and save your copy for plex to another directory.