Pixelatiop and Audio issues after Feb 2020 firmware

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gwtx
Device ID: 1313798B

Pixelatiop and Audio issues after Feb 2020 firmware

Post by gwtx »

So last year in February I updated my "working without issues for years prime" firmware to then current release, at that time it started having major pixelation and sound lag issues( above 2-5 seconds )
when watching mostly HD channels, SD channels not really affected. But this was on a Win 7 with HDHomeRun view, tried updating HomeRun view, still had issues, this occurs on each update since.

But using VLC, it very rarely has these issues, I am assuming as initially I just upgraded the firmware and all this started, it not a PC issue, any suggestions?

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Pixelatiop and Audio issues after Feb 2020 firmware

Post by foxbat121 »

I don't understand your reasoning. If VLC works fine, so using VLC will bypass the firmware on your Prime? If it is a firmware issue, won't it affect any viewing software, including VLC? From what I know, there is a known nVidia MPEG2 decoder issue out there. So if you have a nVidia Video card or use nVidia Shield, you might have problems.

For the record, I have two Prime tuners and always updated to the latest, don't have any of these problems on various platforms. But I don't use Win7 anymore. Nor any nVidia based products.

gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Think about this, its was working fine for months, years, only changes are Homerun view and virus def, and a C runtime for the
previous 3 years, the only recent changes made at that time was a firmware update. I updated the firmware, within a day we
noticed the pixelation/lags issues. So do I assume a recent change is the culprit or try and blame it on something that didn't
change. The nVidia drivers were stable for the 3 previous years without pixelation issues, and why would that cause audio lag if
using the onboard soundcard. Same issues on another test 7 development box with similar config, but it has 8-cores
and 16GB of memory, so probably not a resource issue.

So either the Win-7 version of view may have issues, could be VLC is more tolerant , I like VLC as it CPU/GPU stays below 10% usage,
I think view runs as high as 25% on the quad-core machine, but changing channels and guide views are harder on VLC.

Also, if I remember correctly, the non-10 version of view was a special build in the previous release due to a certificate
that expired and needed updating, another thing to consider.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

IIRC, View gets rebuilt because of SSL issue. But it is still an outdated app that no longer really get any updates. I think you are actually starting to blame VIew app instead of firmware now :)

Everyone blames firmware updates for no reason. There are many factors that changed over time. SSL being one of the biggest change and HTTP 2.0 being adopted over many systems like Android and Kodi being another. And who's to say one's local network or cable signal doesn't deteriorate over time as well.

gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Being a tech for some number of years, you generally look at the last thing that changed. I noticed the pixelation issues within minutes,
audio lag the next day. But as with the rest of this group let blame 7, it worked fine for years, and all of a sudden it broke at the
exact instant that I took to upgrade the firmware. Since it appears to work fine under VLC, that seems to let the firmware off, or VLC is
more tolerant of something under the newer firmware, as I cannot downgrade to the older firmware, I cannot absolutely confirm
where it lies.

You think there is even the remotest possibility there is a issue between the view and the newer firmware?

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Try the modern app on a phone, tablet or Windows 10 PC. Compare that to your Win7 PC.

howie

Post by howie »

I have the same pixelating problem. It seem to getting worse some time around January, 2020. I split my cable into 2, one goes to Prime and the other goes to TV tuner (local channels is not encrypted). I switched to local TV channel when HDHomeRun picture start to pixelate. The picture and sound are fine from the TV tuner on local channel. My conclusion is that the problem is from HDHomeRun not Verizon.

About 30% of time pixelate is a problem with HDHomeRun. It is not a problem 4 years ago. I wish HDHomeRun will fix the codec problem.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

howie wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:33 pmI wish HDHomeRun will fix the codec problem.
In most cases the HDHomeRun app uses the codecs provided by your OS or device, so it would help if you would say what specific devices you are using the app on, and if it's on a computer, what graphics card you have.

The OP mentioned Nvidia, most NVidia devices that came out in the past few years shipped with a defective MPEG2 decoder that has issues with certain encoder configurations that don't affect most people until one of their local stations or cable provider upgrades their encoders. And with the repack, spectrum sharing and ATSC 1.0 simulcasts for stations that converted to ATSC 3.0, a lot of stations across the country are starting to upgrade their encoders to newer efficient models.

On the reverse side, AMD's latest driver has a known issue with the RX 400 and RX 500 series where a TDR crash occurs if you watch video for an extended period of time, and the only work around for that is to revert to the drivers from November and disable auto updates in the Radeon control panel.

gwtx

Post by gwtx »

The OP mentioned Nvidia, most NVidia devices that came out in the past few years shipped with a defective MPEG2 decoder that has issues with certain encoder configurations that don't affect most people until one of their local stations or cable provider upgrades their encoders. And with the repack, spectrum sharing and ATSC 1.0 simulcasts for stations that converted to ATSC 3.0, a lot of stations across the country are starting to upgrade their encoders to newer efficient models.
Would this still apply to comcast cable systems? I think comcast re-codes all video at their Colorado location, so no matter what the local station is using it depends on what Comcast is doing?

gwtx

Post by gwtx »

foxbat121 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:25 am Try the modern app on a phone, tablet or Windows 10 PC. Compare that to your Win7 PC.
Seems to work on the xbox, but I dont watch it much, but as for Windows 10, I have Windows 10N, and even after applying the media pack I still get the following error
unable to play channel class not registered excep_fromhresult 0x80040154

VLC works fine on that box.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

AFAIK, Comcast still has a mix of markets that have transcoded locals and markets that don't. Check a recording in MediaInfo or a live stream in VLC to see if it's MPEG2 or MPEG4/H.264/AVC. The former is likely the original stream that might have NVIDIA issues; the latter is transcoded and should not.

gwtx

Post by gwtx »

Its a Dell workstation running Dell OEM 7 Pro install.

The video is a GTX950 with Nvidia driver 361.43 released 2015.12.21, last two attempts to upgrade the video driver
produced an unstable machine probably due to other parts of the system being frozen on updates, so I stopped them also.

The worst offending station is the local NBC news with their jump cuts, it seems to be missing the video's keyframes. Codec being
used on the channel is H264/MPEG4(part10), 1280x720 framerate 59.94 and sound codec A52/AC3, and you mention it is
using the installed codecs, and from what I remember View is using the sound codec from VLC, so is the video codec the one
installed by VLC?

If its the video codec from VLC, then shouldn't VLC have the same video issues?

And would video issues cause sound lag issues when the sound is not using the video card? Its the analog card on the motherboard.

And as mentioned before none of this occured before the firmware change, so the firmware change triggered latent bugs in the drivers?

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

VLC always uses its own codecs. [removed by moderator to avoid confusion]

Blame playback issues on a end of support OS as firmware problems is far fetched. The firmware on the Prime has nothing to do with codec decoding. It just delivers transport streams without care about what codec is in it. The fact that your other modern apps or VLC just play those same transport stream with out problem, it means the Prime firmware is just fine.

BTW, I don't think nVidia ever resolved the MPEG2 decoder issue. So, updating drivers probably won't help at all.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Clarification - the HDHomeRun app for Windows 7/8 does not use VLC and does not use system codecs for MPEG2/AC3.

Nick

dkrom

Post by dkrom »

I see audio issues and firmware update. I am experiencing issues too after the firmware update. All of my audio is delayed from the video feed. It does this on the app on my iPhone, on VLC on a laptop and on desktop, on Windows Media Center recordings, on my Channels App on AppleTV, even the DLNA (or whatever it is) direct through my Samsung tv without any audio equipment hooked up - everything that I use has the same annoying delay that was not there before the firmware update. Watching The Flash last night was torture - lips move, then hear the sound.

Wish I could downgrade and will never again update if this issue is ever fixed. Very disappointed & disappointed that my post really hasn’t been addressed.