Google Live Issues with HD Homerun Prime

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
vchavez

Google Live Issues with HD Homerun Prime

Post by vchavez »

i have cable tuner for spectrum.
Using the Google LIVE TV app channels take long time to load and when it does it cuts out and in

Using the HDHomerun App on Sony TV loads pretty quick.

I don't like Homerun Android TV app because i cannot use the channel up or down from the remote and no grid style menu.

I think the problems are isolated to Sony older TV 900F. I tested with 4 TV and all have same issue. However newer Hisense Tv seems to be ok with Live TV.

I enabled logs on the tv apps and tuner. Installed the latest beta for app and tuners.

Tuner
Model: HDHR3-CC
Device ID: 1324DF0B

I think the TV apps need updates for Sony Models.

vchavez

Re: Google Live Issues with HD Homerun Prime

Post by vchavez »

The handoff to Google or Sony using DRM channels seem to be the trigger. (Spectrum pretty much everything is DRM)
ticket #147046

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

Just to give you another perspective on Sony Android TV with Spectrum and HDHR Prime with mostly DRM channels, I have an even older model (a 930D from 2016), and channel up/down works using the Sony remote. Because it's an older model Sony with a slow processor, I had to learn to adjust my expectations with the HDHR app as it can take ~10 seconds to change channels and even longer to enter channel numbers. As a side note, that is with Early Access to new features On. If I turn that Off, I get faster response, seemingly about twice as fast and on par with Live Channels.

It looks like you have a 2018 Sony model (900F) and that "should" respond quicker than mine. I also use the Google Live Channels app because it responds much quicker (~5 seconds) to change channels, but also have occasional failures and usually have to Force Stop the app (or restart Android TV) to fix it. I also had trouble streaming over a wifi connection to the TV, but it's much better over a wired connection.

As long as you are on the latest HDHR app versions I'm surprised the channel up/down doesn't work. I'll be interested in SD's response.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

I use Sony TV app on my 900H and no problems. Better than Google Live Channels app which doesn't like the fact that I have two Prime tuners. Live Channels app is also not on my TV (thank God so that I don't have to disable it like my other Android TV boxes) and the Sony TV app looks like a modified Live Channels app by Sony and works/integrates much better than Live Channels app.

vchavez

Post by vchavez »

Thanks for the comments hopefully support will chime in soon.

I have been using Prime unit for several years at work. I have Sony 900D model that was first model when Android TV app came along, prior to that we were using Windows 10. I also been using Prime since the beginning at home with Emby prior to that the XBOX lol.

Yes the Sony TV app is great or was. That's is why i decided to roll out this solution for out Administrative Building. One remote, watch TV, inputs and Chromecast all great and simple for everyone to understand. I even programmed the Extron panel to those features. All the televisions are wired.

Yes i know things will never be fast however, with Sony latest Android TV update some channels like ESPN, FOX NEWS the channel takes like 3-5 minutes to load. After that i can change the channels. That is too slow to leave as is. Also the stream freezes ever so often with Google or Sony App.

These are DRM channels which varies by carriers, so if you cable provider does not have DRM it would be super fast. I have none at Home, so I never have any issues.

On the android homerun app the channel tunes in right away at work. I was not using the HDHomerun app before because SONY app was working. I did however this week turn on Early Access, so I will turn that off next week to test the channel up and down on the remote. Like it was mentioned above, pressing the button would take too long and not be correct. I was hoping Early access would resolve the sony or google app issues

The Sony Guide app is not great, very slow.
Google Guide is a lot better.
HDhomerun guide is not grid style.

I can change the guide button on Sony remote to point to google guide if Google can be good solution. I will remapped Sony Remote buttons once i can fix this problem with a working solution.

Like i mentioned the new Hisense TV using Google works great. Couple of seconds to tune in a channel.

The 900f has newer processor which is why maybe the Sony app is working or maybe your channels are not DRM?

I was not testing the older televisions because we purchase several of the 900F model.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

I have 900H and yes I specifically tested DRM channels. 3-5 minutes is outrageously long. I'm use the HDHR app input for channel source, not the beta Google Network tuner which will not work when you have two Primes on the network.

vchavez

Post by vchavez »

Thanks for the information. I was using the Sony App on all the TV same as you are currently using. Now with the latest updates not good solution for my older televisions.
I tested on new Hisense TV and that works like it normally would with the Sony App last year. For Hisense im using the Google Live because the Sony App only works with Sony Televisions.
My question is how is your guide, is it still clunky and slow? for 900H?

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Nothing slow or clunky in HDHR app other than the usual limitation of the UI. The Sony app guide UI is actually good. But in order to use DVR (I rarely watch anything live), I haver to use HDHR app. Not a big problem for me once you get used to it. Google Live Channels app is dead. The new Chromecast with Google TV does even come with it.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

Thanks to both you guys for the heads-up on the built-in TV app. I had never set it up assuming it was only for the built-in OTA tuner. It seems to perform about the same as the Live Channels app with the Prime and I like the way it's integrated into the Sony remote. Also like the Live Channels, it doesn't allow you to jump to another channel in the guide and with 400 channels that would be nice to have. Now if only SD would fix the maddening lip-sync problem when using AC3 passthru, which of course carries over to the other apps.

Also, Live Channels does exist on Chromecast GT - it's just hidden, you have to launch it by voice. Google knows about this.

vchavez

Post by vchavez »

Hoping to get feedback from staff

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

vchavez wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:05 pm Hoping to get feedback from staff
Looking into it.

vchavez

Post by vchavez »

Thanks for previous comments about Taking off the Early Access for HD Homerun. Seems to have many issues.
On Sony TV makes it really slow.
On Verizon Android TV box it looses my Tuner.

Using the HDHomerun APP
Channel changing. On the Sony TV if i press the channel number it would be nice for it to go to the channel automatically.

Right now it is very confusing.
Channel Number 34, It goes to sub menu (epg) 34 with no arrow. Natural logic is click on enter(select), well that opens the keyboard instead.

Option would be select the number it goes to menu and you get the arrow to click on enter for the channel??

vchavez

Post by vchavez »

Using Google Live App on multiple TV on the same channel cause issues. Channel failed and stopped. (Sony TV) (Hisense) 2 tuners
Using HDHomeRun Apps works fine on the same channel. Sony, hisense, sony using all three tuners
Menu Arrow UP and Down is very delay using the HDHomerun APP on Sony TV. (sluggish)
Menu Arrow UP and Down is very delay using the HDHomerun APP on Verizon Android TV box was very fluid.
I will test the JBL Link Bar to compare.

vchavez

Post by vchavez »

Today Early access on Sony 900F
Menu up and down arrow is better than last week.

JBL Link Bar
crashes quite a bit scrolling up and down

Was there any changes over the weekend?

Early Access on and AC3 on

nelsonjw

Post by nelsonjw »

800G here. Bought the TV in August 2019 and already had a Prime and Spectrum (formerly Charter) service. Was pleasantly surprised that the native TV function on the TV picked up all available channels and integrated nicely, letting me enter channels from the remote and use channel up/down buttons.

However, there were issues that over a year later SD support was never able to address. Possibly Sony's fault; regardless, even getting the Android 9 update sometime after Android 10 was released didn't help. DRM channels, while technically supported, would stop and start every few seconds rendering them unwatchable. SD channels, like the area's cable-only information channel, would play audio but a black screen. And on any channel with a surround sound audio stream, I'd lose sound for a second anytime the audio switched between 2.0 and 5.1 such as going from commercials back to regular programming. First world problems, as they say, but still grew annoying.

Google's Live Channels app was worse as even non-DRM channels would stutter and hang.

Eventually I just put Spectrum's cheapest rental box on the 800G and it's been a better experience on that TV. That said, am still a fan of the Prime and continue to use it to serve my other, non-primary TVs which have the new Chromecast with Google TV, my PC and Android phone, etc. But never was able to get HDHR working perfectly with the Sony 800G.