"Always on top" option for HDHomeRun on Windows 10 ?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
haverchuck

"Always on top" option for HDHomeRun on Windows 10 ?

Post by haverchuck »

I have searched the forums, the guides and tried various things with the HDHomeRun software, but I cannot find anyway to set the HDHomeRun Windows 10 program to be "Always on Top" of the other windows on the screen.
Is it possible to do?

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: "Always on top" option for HDHomeRun on Windows 10 ?

Post by ebo »

I searched for "windows 10 always on top" (without the quotes) and got lots of results telling how to do it. Here's one:
10 Tools To “Always On Top” Any App In Windows 10

Many articles recommended getting the Always on Top app from the Microsoft Store. That's included in the link above.

haverchuck

Post by haverchuck »

Hmm. I suppose I could use a third party tool.
It's just that if VLC can do it (have an always on top option), then I would think the HDHomeRun team could also (easily) put the option in their software.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

SD has looked at adding this multiple times since the CompacyOverlay option was added in Windows 10 1803. The VLC UWP app doesn't have an always on top option, it uses CompactOverlay (the always on top mode in regular VLC and other legacy Windows apps is not available to UWP apps because Microsoft hates you). There are several problems with using CompactOverlay:
  1. The allowed dimensions of the window are restricted by the OS so you can't make it bigger than 1/4 of the screen (and VLCs seems to be even more restricted to only be a "picture in picture" size)
  2. The titlebar of the window is inside the app window (rather than above it like in the normal view) and is always visible when the focus is on that window, which in the HDHomeRun app means you can't see the Live/Recorded/Discover/Tasks tabs on the menu screen or the search box on the slice guide
  3. The API Microsoft provides to determine the window size, which in theory could be used to let the app automatically resize the UI to fix (2), doesn't work

Thunderthud
Device ID: 1080B565, 1322B8A6, 13257C3D, 1041CFDB, 10514020, 101886A, 10120815

Post by Thunderthud »

I use an app called "Desk Pins". It works great with HDHomeRun and is very useful for many other programs.