HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
baughman

Re: HDhomerun and Roku DVR playback has choppy video and audio

Post by baughman »

I'm a long-time SiliconDust user:
* 1st purchase in 2013: HDHR3-US in 2013; eventually crapped out so I bought again
* 2nd purchase in 2018: Connect Duo (4988987)

I've been a pretty happy customer so far. At one point over the past year or two, one of the tuners failed within my Connect Duo. No big deal since I usually only use one tuner at a time. Unfortunately, I've been having a hell of a time with the tuner over the past few months. I figured that this unit was failing as well, so I bought my third device a couple of days ago:
* 3rd purchase in 2021: Flex Duo 2 x ATSC Tuners - HDFX-2US

Here's my setup (unchanged for many years):
* Attic antenna =coax=> signal booster =coax=> HDHomeRun =ethernet=> switch => google onhub router
* Mostly use the native SD apps (PC, Roku, RokuTV, Android phones), though I sometimes use Plex to record/view.

I set up the Flex Duo 2 (HDFX-2US) yesterday and here is what I observe:
* Works flawlessly on my (hardwired) Windows 10 PC through the PC HDHomeRun app. Plex on my PC also works great.
* Glitches like crazy on my (wireless) RokuTV using the Roku HDHomeRun app. Also glitches like crazy accessing live TV through the Roku Plex App.
* It's even worse using the HDHomeRun app on my android devices (I get sound and only a single static image...the image when I first change the channel).

In hindsight, I now realize that the purchase of the recent HDHomeRun was unnecessary since these are the same problems I was having before upgrading. Bummer.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stick with SiliconDust but I need to figure out how to make it work on the RokuTV.

Thanks!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

If it works on wired and doesn't work on wireless, I would assume a wifi network issue. Especially if it's happening on multiple apps and OSes. It doesn't sound like this is related to the Roku issues other people are seeing in this thread.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

It is not wired vs. wireless. It is Roku App vs. HDHomerun App on a PC.

The PC App works great because it is made by SiliconDust. The SiliconDust App on the Roku is faulty. It has had problems since the beginning. It rarely gets an upgrade, Roku upgrades their entire box more than SD does their App. Netflix (and the other companies) updates their App regularly to make it work better with Roku.

I chalk this up to making a poor choice and just live with the faults until I decide to pawn the box off on someone else on eBay.
NedS wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm If it works on wired and doesn't work on wireless, I would assume a wifi network issue. Especially if it's happening on multiple apps and OSes. It doesn't sound like this is related to the Roku issues other people are seeing in this thread.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The Roku platform does not allow apps to run native code. Any app on Roku is pretty much just a UI skin over top of the Roku player.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

2000cam wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:38 am The PC App works great because it is made by SiliconDust. The SiliconDust App on the Roku is faulty. It has had problems since the beginning. It rarely gets an upgrade, Roku upgrades their entire box more than SD does their App. Netflix (and the other companies) updates their App regularly to make it work better with Roku.
Roku apps are not really "apps". The whole system is locked down and about the best you can do is make a UI using some very specific tools that Roku makes available, then use their specific video player. When Netflix wants to improve playback on the Roku they actually change the video encoding on the Netflix servers so that it plays back more smoothly with the Roku video player. We cannot do that, because we do not control the video content. The thousands of broadcasters across the world do that. (There is a situation where we might be able to affect how our recorded content is presented that will improve a Roku-specific issue, and that is being looked into, but that is a slightly different issue than being able to playback the video format or not)

That being said, most of the time live over-the-air broadcasts do work fairly well on Roku. I don't think this is the problem for baughman. For one, baughman has tried using Plex, and Plex has the added benefit of transcoding the video into a more Roku-friendly format, and it also had the same playback issues.

Considering that both the HDHomeRun Roku app and the Plex Roku app are having issues, I would suspect that the issue is networking. It's possible that it is something else, but it would be the first thing I would look at in troubleshooting the issue.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

"We cannot do that, because we do not control the video content. "

My biggest issue is the playback of the recorded DVR content. You should be able to control the delivery of that content like Netflix shouldn't you? The recorded file is perfectly great. I can go to the HDHomeRun device in a browser and copy the MPG file to a hard drive. The MPG is perfect. It plays great when I copy it to my PC and use ANY player. I copied the MPG file to a shared drive I have that that is a media server (LinkStation) It allows me to share videos and play it just fine with the Roku Media Player. The FF and RW don't work but the playback is awesome.

It is just messed up when I play it straight from the HDHomeRun Roku App. Not all bad, just glitches and digital artifacts. It would be better if you just let the Scribe share the saved MPG files folder on the network. I could use any App to watch them. It shares the TV channels and they play using Roku Media Player, but not the recorded files. That would solve everything. Or just figure out how HDHomeRun can record a great MPG but it can only be played on Roku by copying it to a shared drive and using Roku Media Player to view it well. What makes Roku Media Player so different? What makes the old LinkStation serve it so easily? It has to be something on the Scribe that is serving the file.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

2000cam wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:02 pm I copied the MPG file to a shared drive I have that that is a media server (LinkStation) It allows me to share videos and play it just fine with the Roku Media Player. The FF and RW don't work but the playback is awesome.
That is the format we use for all other platforms. We can output in this format and it will play perfectly on Roku. The problem is FF and RW don't work because the Roku player doesn't support seeking a DLNA stream.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I have an idea as to what might be tripping up the Roku player. Investigating further...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

2000cam wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:02 pm "We cannot do that, because we do not control the video content. "

My biggest issue is the playback of the recorded DVR content.
Just to clarify, I suspect that baughman's issue is different from the main issue being discussed in this thread.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

Sure hoping Nickk is working out the problem.
nickk wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:49 pm I have an idea as to what might be tripping up the Roku player. Investigating further...