Unable To Play Back Recorded Content

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nzz20v

Unable To Play Back Recorded Content

Post by nzz20v »

Hi All, noticed this last night - went back to watch gardening Australia from last couple of weeks on our new ipad air 4th gen using hdhomerun app and just got a black screen with audio
tried with our second older ipad same issue

this morning tried browsing the synology nas where the files are recorded and using vlc and content going back 6-8 weeks plays back with black screen and only audio (last gardening Australia that successfully plays is 7/1/21

hdhomerun is fully upto date last updated tuesday or wednesday this week (again this was done without realizing recordings were not working)

live tv plays fine on ipad and pc

Model: HDHR4-2DT
Device ID: 12305B8F

jasonl
Expert

Re: Unable To Play Back Recorded Content

Post by jasonl »

Probably best to upload one of the problem recordings to a storage site like Google Drive, Dropbox, or iCloud and email a link to support@silicondust.com along with a description of the issue so they can investigate.

nzz20v

Post by nzz20v »

so i have gone to upload a sample file (and it appears that its recorded a different channel to the one that it should record - even though it has the correct show title / and air time (the task also matches)

can i use a program like tv video redo to cut a 10 second segment or will that affect the sample?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Strange, it appears to only have an audio track. No video track at all. I will forward this to the dev team.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

VideoReDo and other programs will rewrite some of the data that matters. If you need to cut a shorter segment to limit the amount of data uploaded, use dd or similar to just do a binary cut of the file, e.g.:

Code: Select all

dd if=filename.mpg of=trimmed.mpg bs=188 count=500000
This will give you a sample that's about 90MB. TS packets are 188 bytes, so I like cutting on packet boundaries just for cleanliness, though it probably doesn't matter.

handyd
Device ID: 131092F3, 13122223, 13136631

Post by handyd »

Add me to the list of not being able to playback recorded content. I just upgraded the record engine to 20210227 on my Windows 10 machine and I am not able to playback recordings. Live TV works, but recorded playbacks are completely corrupt. My playback machine is an Nvidia Shield running 20210225.

The recorded video is fine since I have it converted and watched it on plex.

I have diagnostics on.

Edit:
Playback also an issue on FireStick and Windows 10 App.
Last edited by handyd on Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe »

handyd wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:34 pm Add me to the list of not being able to playback recorded content. I just upgraded the record engine to 20210227 on my Windows 10 machine and I am not able to playback recordings. Live TV works, but recorded playbacks are completely corrupt. My playback machine is an Nvidia Shield running 20210225.
I am getting this exact problem after upgrading the device firmware and dvr software. All of my recordings play back glitched out, old and new alike. If I open them directly from the DVR folder using VLC or Media Player, they play perfectly. I am see this on both my Nvidia Shield TV and Windows clients.

Here is an example of what I see, similar to above. This happens on every recording:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MyEKDe ... sp=sharing

My equipment:
HDHomeRun RECORD - Version 20210227
HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO - Version 20210224
HDHomeRun PRIME - Version 20210210

Thanks,
John

obliojoe

Post by obliojoe »

Update: I just realized that I have an older version of the DVR software, so I uninstalled the new version and reinstalled version 20200907 and everything works again.

Thanks, John

Jsherman

Post by Jsherman »

I am seeing the same blocky playback on my Android, (and Tv), and Windows clients. Files play back in KODI without issue.

DVR Server - (Windows 10) - 20210227

mcewinter
Device ID: 131044D3, 103188F3

Post by mcewinter »

Every thing I tested, old and new, has severe macro blocking and stuttering.

Added: Playing through Plex presents zero issues. Now that Plex scans my DVR folder for commercials, it is becoming commonplace for me to forgo SDs app for playback.

Using the most current software/firmware to date.

kenchills

Post by kenchills »

The Same issues. After updating to newest 02/27 software on my Windows Server 2012r2 machine (which is my DVR), recording playback is unusable...... glitched out and blocky both in Kodi, HD Homerun Program on Windows, and Android HDHomerun Software on my phone.
There is nothing wrong with the recordings, since I can play them manually with Windows built in media player with no issue. I just pull up the recording files manually on the server and play them with the default Windows 10 software. Works fine.
So there seems something wrong the DVR engine playback in the latest Silicondust Windows Software update 02/27.

Jsherman

Post by Jsherman »

Uninstalling and reinstalling 20210224 cleared up my issues.

kenchills

Post by kenchills »

Jsherman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:33 am Uninstalling and reinstalling 20210224 cleared up my issues.
Yup, had to do the same and roll back the software to anything before 02/27/2021 update. Recordings now play well again. Hope they get this fixed soon in a new update!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Is the problem seen with both live TV and recordings or only live TV?

Nick

kenchills

Post by kenchills »

Live TV works fine until you rewind and it starts playing from the already recorded portion. Then it exhibits the same behavior as trying to playback a recorded file.