Accessing Program Guide Remotely

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
themusj

Accessing Program Guide Remotely

Post by themusj »

Briefly, my 89 year old father contacted Covid and his health is not well. He lives in another state from me making the drive significant. I may have to spend some time away from home and was wondering if there was a way to connect to the HDHomerun DVR guide so I can maintain scheduling movies or shows while out of town. I work in IT, but not sure if this is a possibility.

Ideally I would like to use my Android tablet or iPhone to connect. I am not worried about watching any programs or recordings. Just want to make sure I can keep up with the scheduling.

I have a router and my HDHomerun application is running on a WD MyCloud Ultra Ext2.

Is this even remotely do-able {no pun intended}?

jasonl
Expert

Re: Accessing Program Guide Remotely

Post by jasonl »

Best wishes for your father.

I do it the long way. I have an OpenVPN server running on my router, and I connect to that from my laptop, RDP in to my desktop, open Kodi, and schedule using the unofficial Kodi add-on. I've done it on my phone in a pinch, but like anything more complex than Twitter, it works better with a bigger screen, keyboard, and mouse. I don't think there's a short way that doesn't involve tradeoffs I'm not willing to make, like opening a web server up to the internet. Remote access is better through third-party DVRs like Channels, Plex, and Emby.

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474, 108449D

Post by elabra »

jasonl wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:20 pm Best wishes for your father.

I do it the long way. I have an OpenVPN server running on my router, and I connect to that from my laptop, RDP in to my desktop, open Kodi, and schedule using the unofficial Kodi add-on. I've done it on my phone in a pinch, but like anything more complex than Twitter, it works better with a bigger screen, keyboard, and mouse. I don't think there's a short way that doesn't involve tradeoffs I'm not willing to make, like opening a web server up to the internet. Remote access is better through third-party DVRs like Channels, Plex, and Emby.
Maybe easier to do is:

1- use a remote connect app like Anydesk. Run it on your tablet and on any PC at your father's home as well. Use Anydesk to connect from your tablet to his PC then run your HD app on his PC from your tablet and schedule away remotely as if you were local user on his PC.

-or-

2- use PLEX to record and schedule remotely - it does this natively but you will need to set up a free PLEX server on a PC at your dad's home (Plex Live TV and DVR scheduling requires a Plex pass, though, which you can purchase via a 1 time fee or pay monthly while you need it then cancel Plex Pass)

My best wishes for your Dad's recovery!

epee4fun

Post by epee4fun »

Chrome Remote Desktop works well as a remote desktop tool too, and it is free.