Recordings take up too much space!

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
paradoxgrowth

Recordings take up too much space!

Post by paradoxgrowth »

Hi,

I noticed that each recording takes up a considerable amount of space. Is there any way to record at a lower quality or compress them?

Little more info, I have the the HD HomeRun Connect Duo that records to a Qnap. The Qnap is running Version:1.0.4 Record Engine Version: 20200907.

Thanks for your help

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Recordings take up too much space!

Post by signcarver »

Use a different tuning device, other software or compress it later or (with that tuner) get a cable company to use h.264 or h.265 and delivered by clear qam or if in US back to getting another tuner that supports atsc 3.0 and hoping the channels you want are available as 3.0 (in other countries convince ota providers to switch to more efficient codec that may require changes at a national level and involve convincing the government)

With SD's software to get anything lower in bits you would need an Extend as it is the only HDHoneRun that transcodes and you would need to set it's default transcode profile.

You could also transcode the file after it is recorded but with SD's software you need to keep it as a TS with a .mpg extension and maintain the first 64 TS packets with the metadata. The paid version of MCEBuddy should be able to do that.

Other software may transcode on the fly but typically requires a much more capable computer than a NAS (though some NAS's may be able to do such but typically they record native and then transcode when other devices request such be served (again not with SD's software).

As mentioned typically most software records native. So you would either need a transcoding tuner or some how get the source to be transmitted differently (which most likely is a long uphill battle that probably won't come about)

paradoxgrowth

Post by paradoxgrowth »

Hi and thanks so much for the reply. You're talking a little over my head. It sounds like the HDHomeRun software would not transcode on the fly natively. I was unaware that you could run other recording software with HDHomeRun. Could you give me some names?

BTW my NAS is more than capable, it is a Qnap TV-677 with a 3.6 AMD Ryzen 1600 six core (12 thread) with 32 gigs of memory. It runs 2 graphics cards, and 2 virtual machines and a Crashplan container without breaking a sweat! The VM is a windows install but I would rather run something within the Qnap OS if at all possible.

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474, 108449D

Post by elabra »

paradoxgrowth wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:45 am Hi and thanks so much for the reply. You're talking a little over my head. It sounds like the HDHomeRun software would not transcode on the fly natively. I was unaware that you could run other recording software with HDHomeRun. Could you give me some names?

BTW my NAS is more than capable, it is a Qnap TV-677 with a 3.6 AMD Ryzen 1600 six core (12 thread) with 32 gigs of memory. It runs 2 graphics cards, and 2 virtual machines and a Crashplan container without breaking a sweat! The VM is a windows install but I would rather run something within the Qnap OS if at all possible.
HDHOMERUN software does not transcode - correct. Only the tuner model Extend for OTA signals (not cable) does transcoding.

MCEBuddy, that signcarver refers to, is a software that only runs on Windows machines. You can search this site and google others to learn more about it. They have a free and paid version and will transcode the files HDHOMERUN has recorded and gives you many options for shrinking the file sizes of recorded shows and movies. Remember signcarver's comment about HDHOMERUN needing the files in .ts format if you use it to play the new file. You can, of course, convert to whatever you want with MCEBUDDY and use something else (like PLEX, Emby, etc.) to catalog and watch your shows using different file types and sizes after transcoding them with MCEBuddy.

It can be set to transcode (shrink) the files and replace the original file with the newer/smaller file when done. On my 3-5 year old Windows PC I average about 12 minutes to transcode a 1 hr show automatically once HDHOMERUN finishes recording it.

The free version of MCEBUDDY does everything the paid version does but is much slower.... you can start with the free version, configure it to what you want and make sure it meets your needs then pay to upgrade to the paid version and get decent speeds for conversions. I don't use it to compress my files since storage is cheap and I want the fastest transcodes so I only use it to take the recordings and automatically cut out commercials for me.

Remember you will need a Windows PC to convert the recordings if you go with MCEBuddy.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I use VideoRedo to convert the files WMC records to a much smaller edited down file as a H265 mkv file. It looks like the same quality level and saves a lot of space. It's a pay program but it's easy to use and pretty fast with a decent cpu and video card. They keep updating it and releasing better versions that they give a discount to previous version users to upgrade if you want to.
The free options work fine but don't support the Windows wmv files as far as I know if you are still using Media Center like I am.