Question About Using HDHomerun Prime and Connect Quatro/Connect 4K Tuner in the Same Setup

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
cubdukat

Question About Using HDHomerun Prime and Connect Quatro/Connect 4K Tuner in the Same Setup

Post by cubdukat »

I recently purchased a Connect Quatro to replace an older Connect Duo so that I can use the HDHomerun PVR software. Now I am looking to dump my Tivo and add an HDHomerun Prime because it would be cheaper and TiVo's OS occasionally corrupts recordings I download from it to my computer. I will probably also be replacing or augmenting the Connect Quatro with a Connect 4K once they get back in stock at my vendor.

My question is this: is this even possible, and if so, how do I choose which tuner records which channels? I wanted to use the HDHomerun Prime to record the majority of my programming, but the Connect Quatro and 4K would record the OTA network broadcast channels, as many of them still transmit in higher bitrate MPEG-2 and 1080i, while Comcast has dumbed everything down to bitrate-starved H.264.

I guess the simplest way to put it would be like this: Connect Quatro/4K records OTA broadcast, Prime records everything else.

Of course, this is assuming that Comcast is still dealing with new Cablecard devices...

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Question About Using HDHomerun Prime and Connect Quatro/Connect 4K Tuner in the Same Setup

Post by signcarver »

Keep in mind that SD's software does not record DRM protected content but on Comcast that is generally only premiums like HBO and not "all" the cable channels like other providers do.

The main idea behind SD's DVR is not to worry about channel and when it records, only tell it what you want to record and OTA would be preferred over cable (in most cases). Though they have almost "always" had the ability to specify a specific channel to record a series from, until recently that wasn't accessible through their own software to set with the exception of One-Off recordings that specify a ChannelOnly rule as well as a DateTimeOnly rule. But recently the option for ChannelOnly was implemented in their own software which would allow you to specify channel.

Typically your cable channels will have a whole number such as 5 or 10, while your ota channels would be dotted such as 5.1 or 10.1 so you can specify a show to be OTA only by using the dotted number(s) (I forget if their software allows selection of multiple channels but the backend spec now allows such). You can also mark a channel as a favorite but that doesn't indicate which device but which channel number gets the highest priority when deciding which channel to record from when there are multiple sources of the same program starting at the same time but any device with that channel number is fair game to be used, but as mentioned typically a cable system would have different channel numbers than OTA (exception is Clear QAM, without a cablecard to provide the map, as typically they would have the local dotted number for the locals when not using cablecard)

Just because h.264 uses less bits does not mean it is necessarily bit starved though cable has "always" done a little more compression than the OTA stations even when comparing mpeg2 to mpeg2.

cubdukat

Re: Question About Using HDHomerun Prime and Connect Quatro/Connect 4K Tuner in the Same Setup

Post by cubdukat »

Hopefully Comcast will still be giving out Cablecards when I pick this thing up. I would rather pay $40-60/year for HDHomerun DVR than $150/year for Tivo, especially since they seem to be doing everything they can to get rid of their userbase so they can find an excuse to close up shop. From corrupted downloads to forced ads when you try to watch your recordings, they really don't seem like they care anymore.

Unfortunately, Comcast is horribly bit-starved. There's so little bitrate a lot of the programming comes out banded, and everything's been downgraded to 720p. The bitrate on just about everything is around 3.5Mbps CBR. H.264 may be more efficient, but that still seems quite low.