Ok, DVR locked out my show... my vault, but no way to fix

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
titantractor271

Ok, DVR locked out my show... my vault, but no way to fix

Post by titantractor271 »

So I've been watching ABC Big Sky the last few weeks. My DVR is set to record every Tuesday at 10pm. I can't clear the movies I "discovered" so I can clear the tuner channel. I am about to really screw with the system and swap antennas between units and reprogram... I could not override the tuner usage... I need to figure out a better way... How do I reset these if I want a show to record with priority over others?

Update1_2204edt-aprox: It might be recording and deleting one recording 15 minutes (approx) ago, may have worked. I can't tell it's recording, but I am trying to learn. Still like the system... and showing others!

Update2_2221edt: System thinks it is recording, can't seem to find the recording in the list.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Ok, DVR locked out my show... my vault, but no way to fix

Post by NedS »

I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to delete tasks for movies and/or change recording priority?

titantractor271

NedS wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:40 pm Are you trying to delete tasks for movies and/or change recording priority?
At 9:45pm yesterday, I realized that I had my tuners full and I could not tell if the recording of Big Sky at 10pm was going to happen. It did not record and even after stopping a recording I couldn't see that the tuners were freeing up.

So I have a number of asks:

1. I'd like to be able to know if a recording I expect to record will conflict with other recordings which I add with the discover.
2. If I see a recording is not going to record, I'd like the ability to "A" change that priority or "B" remove recordings.
3. I have been trying to figure out the tasks list on the React application. That tab does not really tell me anything of use. I know it says something, it would be good if that could be explained.

I hope that helps....

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

You cannot stop a recording in progress (at least currently... the only way is to power off the tuner, stop the DVR entirely (possibly even requiring powering it off), bring up the tuner and make sure something grabs a tuner prior to the dvr starting and trying to resume it's previous recordings then release the one you grabbed just prior to the start of the recording you need).

The best solution is more tuners to avoid such conflicts but if that isn't an option, make sure that any show recording prior to the start of the one you want does not have any end padding if it is supposed to stop at that time (exception if on the same channel) as any end padding falling into your desired recording would cause the engine to not be able to start that recording if all tuners are in use.

Priority can be adjusted but such adjustments won't affect anything already in progress and it also won't resolve conflicts when tuners are in use when your other recording with kicks off as it will finish those recordings. The only thing priority really does is when conflicts arise for things that start at the same time. For instance if you have 2 tuners and 3 shows to record starting at the same time (I'll call them "a", "b" and "c") if "a" repeats at a later time adjust the priority of "b" and "c" to be before "a" then "b" and "c" will start and "a" would record later (usually... if the channel that "a" is on also has a program recording just before typically it will stay on that channel) When tuners are already in use make sure padding doesn't overlap when on different channels (many set padding to 0) as if all tuners are in use when it comes time to record it won't record except off that same channel where padding spans between both files.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

The current system has the DVR not assuming how many tuners are available (as other software can access tuners, reception issues can make a tuner/channel unavailable, etc), but instead will try to work with whatever tuners are available at the time of recording, using the task priority. For any missed tasks (conflicts that were a lower priority), the DVR will keep trying to record that program the next time it airs (which may or may not happen, depending on the show).

Personally, I think a good feature to add would be to have a "conflict report" option, where you can tell the DVR "assume you have 'these' tuners, what will happen on X time and date?" and it will then show which programs will record and which will not, assuming the HDHomeRun has full access to those tuners/channels/reception-is-good/etc.

That is one idea, and there are a few others we are looking at as well. Maybe it should be a report, maybe it should be a pop-up notification/icon/something. In theory we could even have the DVR software send an e-mail report each week like some NAS software does for issues/updates. I think the "Tasks" tab in the app would be a good place to have this information accessible, as well. For example, we might be able to display tasks in the "Tasks" tab by time slot, which would give the user a much better idea of possible conflicts. There could be an over-all priority list, and then a "display by date/time" list. I will talk to the development team about this. Lots of ideas, but all of them will take time to explore and implement, but rest assure that these kinds of usability concerns are on our radar.

In short, we don't have a good solution for you now, but we hope to have one in the future.

titantractor271

Ned, Thanks for the detailed replies. I am so happy with the system as is, but if you all can fix some of the things which are bugging people... that's even better. I got so fed up with the constant increases and removal of channels that I had to come up with a solution. I was thinking of some of your competitors, but somehow the articles pointed me to Silicondust (cool name). Anyway, I'll try to contribute when I can and I'll report things I notice.

Also if I had to vote... Priority of recordings/guide improvements over an internet failure solution is most important, as I can solve the internet outage issues myself. Longer term, a good Internet outage solution is also desired. I do have standby generators for the power.

Note: I am going to try to setup Plex tonight... you may see posts in that arena...