Watch in-progress recording

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
budmannxx

Watch in-progress recording

Post by budmannxx »

I searched but couldn't find anything on this--surprising. How do I watch an in-progress recording? My record engine is recording properly, but my apps (have tried on W10 and Android) don't show any recordings in the Recorded section until the recording completes. They just show a "Your HDHomeRun DVR is ready to record" message.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Watch in-progress recording

Post by nickk »

It should pop up in Recorded within about 10 seconds of the show starting to record.

Nick

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx »

That's what I thought, but the recordings do not appear. How can I start troubleshooting? I'm testing now to confirm a recording appears once complete, or if the issue is more general, for all recordings.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

For me I blame the issue on multiple engines, but that may not be the op's problem, as things don't show up properly at top in all if recorded by some of my engines but they do show up when one navigates to the show in shows (last I checked only shows showed up in shows and a few specials weren't listed anywhere as they usually would be in all but sometimes is not there, I'd personally prefer everything be a show with all being chronological and shows being alphabetical but I know others don't like movies or sports showing up there)

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx »

signcarver wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:53 am For me I blame the issue on multiple engines, but that may not be the op's problem, as things don't show up properly at top in all if recorded by some of my engines but they do show up when one navigates to the show in shows (last I checked only shows showed up in shows and a few specials weren't listed anywhere as they usually would be in all but sometimes is not there, I'd personally prefer everything be a show with all being chronological and shows being alphabetical but I know others don't like movies or sports showing up there)
I only have one record engine, but what you said resonates with me a bit. I was having issues with the DVR not being detected by the apps or on my.hdhomerun.com. I'm not sure what the cause was, but stopping the DVR service, removing the StorageID from my .conf, and then restarting the DVR service resolved that--the DVR was then detected by apps and my.hdhomerun.com. The issue with recordings not showing up in the Recorded section, however was happening after I did the "conf refresh" maneuver. I wonder if the issues you see with multiple engines are similar/related to my situation are somehow my single StorageID became "bad."

nickk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:51 pm It should pop up in Recorded within about 10 seconds of the show starting to record.

Nick
All that said...now my recordings are showing up moments after they start, as @nickk noted above. I'm not sure what the problem was last night, and I didn't do anything to fix it (didn't even bounce the hdhomerun_record service). So, as of now, this seems like a temporary blip. I'll keep an eye on it, but first I'll take a 15-minute timeout from the internet for wasting everyone's time with this.

FWIW, I'm running the record engine on a headless Ubuntu server VM.

goofnroxx

Post by goofnroxx »

Shows almost never pop up automatically for me. I need to go to another tab like discover or live tv and back to recorded for them to be visible. The same goes for deleted recordings. If I delete the last recording of a show, the tile for the series remains in the menu and it will crash if I select that series with no recordings in it.

dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

Post by dcalder »

Similar issue for me. I have a one record engine (Win 10) system with an attached USB3 4TB Raid 1 storage (to protect my precious mind candy). I assumed that the delay in seeing recorded shows (and the delay in removing the last recorded show) was a read/write buffering issue with the raid/windows file system collaboration. It's been this way for a long while. I just move between tabs to clean up the library and check for a new recording. I figured that it would go away if I moved to a single drive in the windows 10 tower, but I've not experimented with that.

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx »

Seems like there's an issue somewhere with recordings displaying in the app. While I was having the issue last night, no amount of tab switching or app restarting worked. As noted, this morning things are working as expected with no changes made.

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx »

@Nickk, is there anything we can do to help troubleshoot this? Seems to be affecting a few people at least.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Is the VM recording to hard drive that is part of the VM or is it recording to a network mount / VM mount of a filesystem hosted by another system / host?

Nick

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx »

nickk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:07 pm Is the VM recording to hard drive that is part of the VM or is it recording to a network mount / VM mount of a filesystem hosted by another system / host?

Nick
In my case, the DVR engine is recording locally to the VM's internal storage. Ubuntu is running on ESXi, and hdhomerun_record is recording to the Ubuntu VM's storage.

I now think my issue is more that my clients can't see the recordings at all, not specifically related to in-progress recordings. I just checked and my clients see nothing--just the "Your HDHomeRun DVR is ready to record" messages. But in the recording location on the VM, I see a bunch of recorded shows. I'm not an expert at troubleshooting this, but happy to send any details you need.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

What is the Device ID of your HDHomeRun?

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx »

nickk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:59 pm What is the Device ID of your HDHomeRun?
Device ID: 13132AEB

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

There is no RecordPath specified so the DVR isn't recording anything.

Also there is a new record engine available for download.

Nick

budmannxx

Post by budmannxx »

nickk wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:29 am There is no RecordPath specified so the DVR isn't recording anything.

Also there is a new record engine available for download.

Nick
Here's my hdhomerun.conf:

Code: Select all

RecordPath=/home/[username]/HDHomeRun

StorageID=3A4259D0-[REDACTED in case this is sensitive]
The "[username]" above is the real username, of course, in the actual .conf file

EDIT: I plan to upgrade to the new firmware and DVR as soon as I can, but for now I'm still on the Sep 2020 release