HDHomeRun Prime not detecting PROTECTED channels

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
s230914

Re: HDHomeRun Prime not detecting PROTECTED channels

Post by s230914 »

kyl416 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:21 pm Since you said you moved the card and adapter from a TiVO to the Prime, you might need to contact the cable company and have them pair the card to your Prime before the DRM channels will work.

Also, what specific Android Tablet are you using and what version of Android is it running?
As per my original post I already did the pairing process with a very capable person at Cox. It seems to be hit or miss with using the App on the Android devices; Huawei tablet(8.0) - no ; Pixel 4a (11) - yes, but unable to exit app without rebooting phone; chromecast with google tv - no.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Android devices need to be Google certified. Chrome cast with Google TV definitely works. The trick is you need to make sure you granted location permission which in many cases doesn't popup automatically

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Huawei was stripped of their rights to use Google's software and is no longer allowed to include the Play Store on new devices, while existing devices won't receive new features, so unfortunately you won't be seeing improved DRM support on that device.

s230914

Post by s230914 »

foxbat121 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:07 pm Android devices need to be Google certified. Chrome cast with Google TV definitely works. The trick is you need to make sure you granted location permission which in many cases doesn't popup automatically
Chromecast with google tv version is unusable. It's impossible to control with the remote unless there's a secret handbook for HDhomerun on Chromecast with Google TV.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

s230914 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:27 pm Chromecast with google tv version is unusable. It's impossible to control with the remote unless there's a secret handbook for HDhomerun on Chromecast with Google TV.
It is the same app like on any other Android TV. Zero problem for me. Up/down buttons bring out channel slice.

As for Pixel phone issue, I can't believe SD hasn't addressed this issue. On Android phones, if you don't have SD DVR, it will not exist the app. But if you repeatedly try the back button or home button it will eventually quite. HDHR Android app is expecting a DVR in order to exit. It is a bug existed for a very long time. So long that many users had the DVR subscriptions and never noticed it.

s230914

Post by s230914 »

foxbat121 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:01 pm
s230914 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:27 pm Chromecast with google tv version is unusable. It's impossible to control with the remote unless there's a secret handbook for HDhomerun on Chromecast with Google TV.
It is the same app like on any other Android TV. Zero problem for me. Up/down buttons bring out channel slice.

As for Pixel phone issue, I can't believe SD hasn't addressed this issue. On Android phones, if you don't have SD DVR, it will not exist the app. But if you repeatedly try the back button or home button it will eventually quite. HDHR Android app is expecting a DVR in order to exit. It is a bug existed for a very long time. So long that many users had the DVR subscriptions and never noticed it.
So I have some devices working. My chromebook seems to work flawlessly, and I was able to get my obsolete tablet to work, I'm loathe to try the phone again as that's not one of the devices that would be used with this setup. Chromecast Google tv still is unusable. "channel slice" comes out randomly not with up or down buttons on Chromecast remote, unless the response is so slow or I'm too impatient (hint: i'm not impatient). And now it appears that if I want the DVR functionality I need to cough up another $40 a year for that feature.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

If all your channels are DRM protected, there is no reason to purchase the DVR because it will not be able to record DRM channels.