Appletv 4K audio issue

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
av_boy

Appletv 4K audio issue

Post by av_boy »

Hopefully someone can help me with my HDHomeRun duo tuner and my Apple TV running the HDHomeRun app.
On my receiver there is no surround sound option where I can get audio out of any channel other than main left and right channels.

This happens on both of my TVs/receiver/appletv combos. Everything else from my appletv works properly... including atmos content (via Netflix and other apps )

It seems that this issue is isolated to the HDHomeRun. On the appletv I can find no settings for this application, nor in the HDHomeRun device web app either.

Any ideas/guidance?

Thanks!

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Appletv 4K audio issue

Post by nickk »

Hi,

Please turn on "send diagnostic information" in the app on Apple TV then watch a channel and reply back with the Device ID of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

av_boy

Post by av_boy »

Hi nick.

106B9F63

Thanks!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The log shows you tuned channel 4.1 which has 5.1 audio. The app is reporting it is outputting 5.1 surround sound to the audio output device.

Nick

av_boy

Post by av_boy »

Yeah. That explains why I can’t get the receiver to mix up the 2 channels. It’s like it’s sending 5.1 channels with stereo audio in it.

After reading through these forums, I also learned that Denver rolled out atsc3 and the HDHomeRun I just bought doesn’t support it. Kinda bummed. I May just try to pull an the antenna cable to the new location I installed my new 4K tv.

Anyway, I wonder if the atsc 3 rollout is the cause of my issue.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We actually have logic to detect when 5.1 is carrying stereo audio... can you please make a 60s capture of channel 4.1 and I will take a look.

Link to click to make the capture:
http://hdhomerun.local:5004/auto/v4.1?duration=60

Nick

Jedi71

Post by Jedi71 »

I just bought an Apple Tv 4k since the HDHR doesn't play nice with a few channels in the Dallas area on my Shield.

Those channels look great on the ATv4K, yay.
But I get nothing out of the center channel from HDHR, boo.

I can switch to Netflix or D+ or You Tube and get a 5.1 center channel, but HDHR has nothing coming out of the center channel. Sigh. If it's not one thing it's another.

Any idea what to tweak for this? Thx!

av_boy

Post by av_boy »

Ok, here is some more info.

I did as requested a day after you requested
( Link to click to make the capture: http://hdhomerun.local:5004/auto/v4.1?duration=60 )

I apologize for not replying back here to say that I did.

However, I have also tried a few more things.
1) Connected the antenna directly to the TV. Using the TVs internal tuner, The local stations I tested with, both have 5.1 and stereo audio and I can switch between them. My AVR indicates dolby digital for both options, 5.1 emits from all speakers, and the stereo audio sounds just like it does when using the HDHomeRun App on Apple TV ( sound out of only 2 speakers, no surround upmixing )
2) Downloaded the HDHomeRun for my android TV ( Sony ). It played in 5.1 surround. I then clicked the SAP "button" and it switched from 5.1 to stereo. Which sounded just like the AppleTV HDHomeRun App. I then switched back to 5.1 using the SAP button, and I got surround again.
3) Using the HDHomeRun app on my AppleTV, I tried clicking the SAP button. It toggles between 5.1 and stereo, however Both sound the same and come out of just the left and right speakers.

Hope this helps! Sounds like maybe just a bug in the AppleTV App.

Jedi71

Post by Jedi71 »

For me to get 5.1 from the HDHR app on the Apple TV, I had to set the Apple TV audio settings to Dolby Digital instead of Dolby Atmos.

I assumed the Dolby Atmos setting would then give way to all the settings below it when detected. It does not, at least with HDHR. On HDHR it keeps the center channel from being used. Don't know if that's a bug or a feature. :)

av_boy

Post by av_boy »

Interesting. I tried forcing the ATV to 5.1 and I was able to get the center channel audio. Disabling atmos alone didn’t do it. I listened for a little while and it didn’t seem I had any surround sound though.

Bellbm

Post by Bellbm »

Just picked up a Quattro tuner. Using Apple TV homerun ap as well as Channels DVR. Could not get 5.1 sound on channels dvr, even though my receiver was showing it was receiving a 5.1 signal. Turned atmos off, and got true 5.1 on channels DVR, but not homerun ap.
I don’t have atmos speakers now, but May in the further. So I turned atmos back in, and still am getting 5.1 sound on the channels DVR ap.

Bellbm

Post by Bellbm »

Problem of no surround sound is back again tonight. This time turning of atmos didn't help.

Any advice? Otherwise this is probably going back.

Bellbm

Post by Bellbm »

Seems to be the hdmi cable I’m using.

I temporarily swapped for another one and it’s working fine.