HDHomeRun Apps slowly get behind playing live stream

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
stalecheetos

HDHomeRun Apps slowly get behind playing live stream

Post by stalecheetos »

The HDHomerun app on PC and Google TV slowly get behind as time elapses.

For example, if I start a stream via VLC and another in the HDHomeRun app and they are perfectly in sync, after a few minutes the HDHomeRun will be 2-3 seconds behind.

A couple things I have noticed:
-VLC does not have this issue
-Plex does not have this issue (It is slightly delayed of course, but it remains the same throughout the life of the stream)
-HDHomeRun on Windows 10 has this issue
-HDHomeRun on Android (phone and chromecast with google TV) has this issue

It's almost like its playing a 30fps stream at 25 fps and slowly getting behind as time passes.

I tried searching the forum for this and couldn't find anything, is this a known issue?

A. Nonny Muss

Re: HDHomeRun Apps slowly get behind playing live stream

Post by A. Nonny Muss »

I’ve posted about this before but can’t find it back.

I left the football game running for around an hour and twenty-five minutes and when I skipped forward, it went ahead nine seconds. This is on an Xbox.

stalecheetos

Post by stalecheetos »

A. Nonny Muss wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:18 pm I left the football game running for around an hour and twenty-five minutes and when I skipped forward, it went ahead nine seconds. This is on an Xbox.
Yeah, It's most obvious when you have something like a game on in multiple rooms and the xbox or chromecast using the hdhomerun app get behind compared to the vlc stream on pc.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

stalecheetos wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:35 pm For example, if I start a stream via VLC and another in the HDHomeRun app and they are perfectly in sync, after a few minutes the HDHomeRun will be 2-3 seconds behind.
This is by design - the HDHomeRun app will drop behind real time until it reaches 4 seconds behind, then it will maintain 4 seconds behind.

This approach provides fast channel change time and avoids buffering pauses.

Nick

stalecheetos

Post by stalecheetos »

nickk wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:26 pm
stalecheetos wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:35 pm For example, if I start a stream via VLC and another in the HDHomeRun app and they are perfectly in sync, after a few minutes the HDHomeRun will be 2-3 seconds behind.
This is by design - the HDHomeRun app will drop behind real time until it reaches 4 seconds behind, then it will maintain 4 seconds behind.

This approach provides fast channel change time and avoids buffering pauses.

Nick
Alright, I guess that makes sense. Thanks Nick!
It would be nice if we could choose to disable this. 4 seconds can be a lot of time when you are watching something like live sports.

A. Nonny Muss

Post by A. Nonny Muss »

I’m watching a hockey game tonight and there’s a 6 second gap between my Xbox which has been tuned for 30+ minutes and a just tuned-in iPhone.

billyray

Post by billyray »

This is why whenever I would try to watch the NFL with my radio broadcasters it would constantly go OOS and I was always trying to FF or pause to fix it. It was so frustrating to have to listen to the terrible announcers we got, because the Eagles sucked and not be able to listen to the home announcers. Thanks for the info.

A. Nonny Muss

Post by A. Nonny Muss »

Another hockey test tonight... watching on a wired Xbox for under 90 minutes and it was over seven seconds behind a just-tuned-in iPhone. Skipping ahead dropped the gap to two seconds. This long of a gap seems to be outside the intended buffer. I also feel as if there is some stuttering in the live feed on the Xbox, particularly noticeable in sports and more so on 720p sources. The LG app is much smoother looking, but with no transport buttons and the fact that not all cable channels display video on the LG TV, that’s not a better solution for me.

stalecheetos

Post by stalecheetos »

A. Nonny Muss wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:31 pm This long of a gap seems to be outside the intended buffer.
I have tested this some more too and it certainly goes past the 4 seconds @nickk mentioned previously. Over the span of a half of football it gets about 8 seconds behind

A. Nonny Muss

Post by A. Nonny Muss »

I'd like to know if this is related to the choppy display of 720p programming (particularly visible during sports) that I see or if that's a separate issue with the player in the Xbox. A game on a 1080i source (CBS, NBC) doesn't appear to have the same issues.