Roku app

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
joefr

Roku app

Post by joefr »

I have the HDHomerun software running on (2) Windows 10 PC's, an XBOX One, and on a Roku. For the most part the playback app works similarly on Win10 & Xbox One. The Roku app is completely different. Why? The interface is different, can't directly pick a channel, playback of anything from the DVR has a slight burp every 10 secs or so, and if you are watching something - how do you get back to pick another channel or recording? I'm resorting to using the Roku remote to go to a different app; like Netflix. I have the Roku 4K setup in the theater and its very frustrating to use the HD Homerun app.

Turk3yb0y1

Re: Roku app

Post by Turk3yb0y1 »

Came here to search why it's not working for me. I'm having the same trouble. It's completely frustrating, my signal levels and quality % are high, works great on every interface except the Roku app.

What I'm most frustrated with, it'll sometimes work fine for hours. Then sometimes it'll just freeze the video (audio stays on) until you exit and reload the channel. Sometimes it'll just randomly shut off the channel and go back to the guide. It is making watching sports a real problem.

It won't let me even tune channels that it doesn't have guide data for either. I can overlook the screwed up guide (even though it takes about a minute for me to manually scroll all 64 channels between CBS and FOX every time) but the if it can't even keep a program that has good signal then it's essentially useless.

Sometimes I will use it through Plex which is better, but I never had this problem when I'd use the XboxOne app. But I got a new Roku tv a few months ago and hate the idea of running the Xbox power hog just to watch broadcast tv.

Will there be stability improvements to the Roku app?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Roku requires all 3rd party developers to use their built in player and codecs instead of bundling your own player and codecs like you can do with Apple, Android and Windows. Their built in codecs expect a "clean" stream delivered to them, while that might be okay for "stable" streaming sources like Netflix, Hulu and others, for OTA broadcasting unstable signals are common due to marginal reception, interference, windy weather, etc which causes error correction to kick in, and their built in player craps out when that happens. Codecs and players on other platforms are better at handling that, so most of the time you don't see any change in picture quality when error correction kicks in, or you might see some quick pixelation before it returns to normal.

It's even worse when you're using a model of Roku that doesn't natively decode AC-3 audio, because then you need a TV or soundbar capable of decoding AC-3 over HDMI, and some TVs only accept PCM audio on HDMI inputs.

mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

kyl416 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:40 pm It's even worse when you're using a model of Roku that doesn't natively decode AC-3 audio, because then you need a TV or soundbar capable of decoding AC-3 over HDMI, and some TVs only accept PCM audio on HDMI inputs.
I assume this includes the Streaming Stick 3600X? I've got it plugged in to a projector, and am getting no audio no matter what combination of Dolby Digital or PCM Stereo settings I use. Other apps such as YouTube and Amazon Prime Video have audio, no problem.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

The HDHomeRun just passes along what it gets from the OTA or cable signal, in North America that's AC-3 audio for all ATSC 1.0 channels and HD cable channels, and MPEG-2 for most SD digital cable channels. (In Europe it varies between MPEG-2, AAC and AC-3 depending on the channel and platform) Streaming apps like Amazon Prime and Netflix offer alternate AAC audio tracks for devices that can't decode Dolby Digital, which is why this isn't an issue with them.

Since most Roku models do not include an AC-3 decoder, you won't get any audio unless it's connected to a soundbar, AV Receiver or TV that can decode Dolby Digital over HDMI. The projector was probably designed with the idea that most people will be using an external AV Receiver for theater quality sound instead of the built in speaker, so they didn't include Dolby decoding.

dwrede

Post by dwrede »

I bring up the app, select a recording. Sound and show starts, but then drops back to recording menu. Always the same since I installed the app on Roku. My Roku is the A/V version.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

A Roku add-on device is absolutely the worst device to use with HD. Roku could care less about OTA live TV on their device. There will always be a glitch of some kind. I have tried many many of the different Roku add on devices. The most prevalent issue is sound. The second most prevalent issue is stability.
If you are not going with the most expensive Roku Ultra, or a TV with built in Roku, don't waste your money and time.

Cut your losses and pick up a Fire TV Stick (not the cheapest one on Amazon either - it's audio won't work with the HD).
Make sure your new Fire TV Stick has the ability to control the TV volume and power, or get the 4k version. Those two versions work great.
Make sure your TV is less than 6 years old.
Enable access to early updates.

You will be happy you switched and will enjoy OTA with the HD.

PhiloFarnsworth

Post by PhiloFarnsworth »

joefr wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 pm I have the HDHomerun software running on (2) Windows 10 PC's, an XBOX One, and on a Roku. For the most part the playback app works similarly on Win10 & Xbox One. The Roku app is completely different. Why? The interface is different, can't directly pick a channel, playback of anything from the DVR has a slight burp every 10 secs or so, and if you are watching something - how do you get back to pick another channel or recording? I'm resorting to using the Roku remote to go to a different app; like Netflix. I have the Roku 4K setup in the theater and its very frustrating to use the HD Homerun app.
I've given up on this issue being resolved. If I want to watch a DVR program I use the Roku Media Player app to play files from our WDMyCloud by selecting files in the album by name, season, and episode. This is how we play them on all four Roku devices and the image appears to be of higher quality too. 📺