Spectrum dropping cable card support

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
wtg
Device ID: PRIME 131A6C2B

Spectrum dropping cable card support

Post by wtg »

I moved to a new home recently and needed to transfer my Spectrum service. Unfortunately the first time the installer came out 6 weeks ago they discovered a tap hadn't been setup for our new home and they needed their construction team to come out first. Guy said he hadn't seen many cable cards but when my new appointment was scheduled, make sure I let them know it involved cable cards. The tap was finally completed this week and they called to setup my install appointment. When I mentioned my use of cable cards they told me they were no longer supported... sorry, new hardware is needed.

Spectrum is a big company so obviously your experience may differ but here in the Louisville, KY area it looks like they've already started shutting down cable card support now that it's no longer mandatory. :(
Last edited by wtg on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Re: Spectrum dropping cable card support

Post by thedoomster »

Are you saying they wouldn't activate the service for your existing card and TA, or they wouldn't issue you a new card and TA? I'm also on Spectrum CC service but in upstate NY.

A. Nonny Muss

Post by A. Nonny Muss »

I just ordered an additional CableCard and tuning adapter over the phone yesterday.

wtg
Device ID: PRIME 131A6C2B

Post by wtg »

thedoomster wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 pm Are you saying they wouldn't activate the service for your existing card and TA, or they wouldn't issue you a new card and TA? I'm also on Spectrum CC service but in upstate NY.
I'm saying they wouldn't re-activate my existing cards and TAs *or* issue me new ones. They said my cable cards were "grandfathered in" from Time Warner but now I'd need new STBs for my TVs. So I told them to forget it and now I'm on AT&T fiber for internet and using YouTubeTV.

marks

Post by marks »

Sorry to hear Spectrum where you live will not support CableCard for you. Like you, if they did that to me, if I moved etc., I would also stop Cable TV also since I refuse to pay for STBs. Maybe once they lose enough customers they will wise up and support CableCard again who knows.
I am lucky enough to be in an area that has Antenna reception also with the HDHR Quattro, so I could live without the Cable premium channels really.
When the HDHR Premium service was active I actually was using that instead of Cable for a while as well.