Cox and DRM

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
mustang5o

Cox and DRM

Post by mustang5o »

I just lost a bunch of channels on Cox last night. Have a tech appointment scheduled but I doubt they will be able to figure anything out so I called the cable card number again and they updated the "Data" number and resent a signal. I scanned for channels again and all the channels were back. However, they all show DRM and they won't play. Is that a problem with HDHR software or is Cox going to be able to do something? Will Plex or some other software work better?

Thanks.

Beerman

Re: Cox and DRM

Post by Beerman »

Read all of this, and then what I hope to be my conclusion at the end.
viewtopic.php?p=368913#p368913

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

If Cox flag everything DRM, only HDHR app will play live TV on supported platform. No 3rd party software will be able to play it. No DVR either.

What do you use for watching TV?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I have W10, Apple TV and Nvidia Shield to watch live tv. Yes, NextPVR will no longer play any of the DRM channels.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

I meant for OP. Buy anyway, Apple TV does not support DRM yet. Fire stick or Roku will never support DRM.

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

foxbat121 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:33 am If Cox flag everything DRM, only HDHR app will play live TV on supported platform. No 3rd party software will be able to play it. No DVR either.

What do you use for watching TV?
I use the HDHR app on FireTV (several different generations not that it should matter). I have the HDHR DVR running on my PC. So are you saying if I deactivate the DVR on my PC I will be able to get the channels?

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

No, you are SOL because Amazon does not support the kind of Copy protection that can satisfy CanleLabs.

DVR engine will automatically skip DRM channel. There is nothing you need to do there. You must use the devices that support DRM to watch these channels on live. No other options unless you have the Windows Media Center 7.

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

Beerman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:20 am Read all of this, and then what I hope to be my conclusion at the end.
viewtopic.php?p=368913#p368913
My card has been showing paired just fine. Card validation has always showed success. My setup has been working for probably at least 6 years or more. Frustrating for these changes to mess things up. The tech came out and wasn't able to do any more. Still sitting in the same mess. I don't really need DVR (though it is nice) if I have to turn off the DVR (is that possible) then I will.
All channels show up in my channel scan but show DRM next to them. When I try to tune to one it says Unable to play channel: Content Protection Required Timeout.

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

foxbat121 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:06 pm No, you are SOL because Amazon does not support the kind of Copy protection that can satisfy CanleLabs.

DVR engine will automatically skip DRM channel. There is nothing you need to do there. You must use the devices that support DRM to watch these channels on live. No other options unless you have the Windows Media Center 7.
So there's no software apps we can use if we don't have Windows Media Center 7? Kodi? HDHR on another platform? Nothing?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Kodi is open source software, so it will never pass CableLabs certification to get access to the required code to view DRM protected channels.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

WMC on win7/8 (record and live... recordings only able to be viewed on same PC or WMC Extenders such as XBOX 360), For live HDHomeRun app on Windows 10 (includes xbox one - haven't heard of any one using a "Series" yet), Android (preferably real Android TV box rather than a generic box running android which would usually fail, right now my two "cheap" favorites are latest Chromecast with GoogleTV and Tivo Stream 4K unless you want something like an Nvidia Shield) and iOS. There are always other things can cause the system to fail having a protected path. Also the built in DLNA player on your TV may support DTCP-IP so may work.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

mustang5o wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:16 pm So there's no software apps we can use if we don't have Windows Media Center 7? Kodi? HDHR on another platform? Nothing?
Any Google certified Android device using HDHR app.
Windows 10 PCs using HDHR app from Windows store.
Xbox Ones
iOS devices and Macs but not tvOS device.

All the above devices support DRM viewing. Only WMC can do DVR on DRM channels but that's totally different eco system (does not support any of the devices above).

Official info can be found here https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/drm?redirect=1

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

Thanks so much for the info. I hopefully have an idea of what I need to do. So my PC that runs the HDHR DVR has the app on it (Windows 10 Pro) but I don't think the monitor connection I have supports HDCP. I'm working now but will test the Xbox One and Chromecast when I get home.

Does anyone know if the HDHR app works (with all channels) on LG OLED TV's or Sony OLED TV's? I'm considering upgrading my living room TV. Would be great if I can just run the app on the TV. The only mention of a TV app at the linked article was Samsung.

mchias1

Post by mchias1 »

Wonder if my issue is related. Since yesterday I haven't been able to tune anything. I'm on cox as well. Everything is paired but it's almost like my TA is not working. I get timeouts on non-basic channels.

mustang5o

Post by mustang5o »

mustang5o wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:49 am Thanks so much for the info. I hopefully have an idea of what I need to do. So my PC that runs the HDHR DVR has the app on it (Windows 10 Pro) but I don't think the monitor connection I have supports HDCP. I'm working now but will test the Xbox One and Chromecast when I get home.

Does anyone know if the HDHR app works (with all channels) on LG OLED TV's or Sony OLED TV's? I'm considering upgrading my living room TV. Would be great if I can just run the app on the TV. The only mention of a TV app at the linked article was Samsung.
I guess I should ask about Vizio as well. I might consider their new OLED or just a P-Series Quantum X as a lower priced option.