New User Question

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
pingjockey

New User Question

Post by pingjockey »

Having just come over from the world of Tivo I am trying to figure out the best way to leverage my Qnap for the DVR service. Is the qnap package better or should I go with the windows setup tool? Maybe an explanation of + / - for both platforms if anyone has one?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: New User Question

Post by signcarver »

Both require DVR subscription. Both are the same Engine.

The package autostarts and helps to more easily maintain it on current version and (usually) makes it easier to control settings while SD's installer just installs it, doesn't autostart if your NAS reboots, and requires a more manual upgrading.

The only thing I don't like about demonrik's nas packages is I wish it would have defaulted to using SD's instructions for making the share and using that directory as it can cause issues and confusion for people who tried both but I do understand his reasons for not doing so and it makes perfect sense for those who start with that (though can still cause confusion when some post has instructions that are for SD's defaults).

pingjockey

Re: New User Question

Post by pingjockey »

Thanks for the clarification of the differences between the two methods. I am going to go with demonriks package and have the DVR share on its own volume to make it easier to manage. I have a ts-473 with plenty of ram and plenty of capacity so I should be good.