HDHomerun Config crashes

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jmike

HDHomerun Config crashes

Post by jmike »

I attempt to launch HDHomerun Config and it starts perfectly. However, after a couple of seconds I get the message: ERROR: communication error. At that point that window no longer functions. It will not accept keyboard or mouse input and the error message cannot be removed from the display short of a hard system reset. I have not encountered that error message before and I have no idea what I need to do to get rid of it.

jmike

Re: HDHomerun Config crashes

Post by jmike »

I neglected to mention in my first post: The system is running Ubuntu 20.04 on AMD FX-8350.

jmike

Post by jmike »

Can someone please help? I've tried everything I know (not very much) and have gotten nowhere.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Sorry for the lack of response. I've been meaning to get into my VM and test this out. I will try to get to that this week and see what we can figure out.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Communication Error often means the network path between the HDHomeRun and the PC has been saturated.

Does the error occur when you try to start playing a channel?

Nick

jmike

Post by jmike »

The HDHomeruns are plugged directly into PC LAN ports on the motherboard so I doubt the network path has been saturated.
It never gets to playing a channel. Any attempt to watch TV produces the all tuners are busy error.

jmike

Post by jmike »

HDHomerun Config still crashes immediately upon startup. I've tried everything I can think of even to the point of completely erasing the system drive and reinstalling everything, including the OS (Ubuntu 20.04) from scratch.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I ran a test by downloading and compiling libhdhomerun and hdhomerun_config_gui on a Xbuntu 20.04 system. Two HDHomeRun units - a PRIME and a CONNECT.

I have not been able to make it crash.

Latest files:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 210105.tgz
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... 210105.tgz

I had to install libgtk2.0-dev and after the make install I had to run ldconfig.

Nick

jmike

Post by jmike »

Problem solved. Evidently there was something corrupted that was resolved by reinstalling everything including OS (revert to Xubuntu 18.04). I suspect a memory failure so I replaced one of the memory modules. So far that seems to have resolved the problem (knock on wood).