Poor Video/Audio quality on Roku app

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
WaynoGur

Poor Video/Audio quality on Roku app

Post by WaynoGur »

I have tried this on several Roku devices: Soundbar, Roku Ultra (wired connection), Roku 3, etc.

If I play things from the Quatro Scribe to my Roku device, I get digital breakup in both the video and audio. Firmware is up-to-date .

However, if I play the video on my cell phone, it works perfectly. The problem is easily reproducible.

Suggestions? Anyone else having these issues?

Wayno

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Poor Video/Audio quality on Roku app

Post by NedS »

We are looking into it. We think it's the Roku 9.4 update.

WaynoGur

Post by WaynoGur »

That maybe. I think it was the last update that killed it. It worked fine for a long time, then suddenly started glitching.

Thanks,

Wayno

katroi@outlook.com

Post by katroi@outlook.com »

Experiencing the same problem on multiple Roku Ultras in the following manner.
HW/SW: Roku Ultra & Roku Ultra 2020, HDHomerun DVR app for windows on dedicated Win10 server (I7 Quad, Western Digital, blah,blah,blah...)
LIVE video - All devices (including Rokus) have clear viewing of live Mpeg 2 video feed from new Connect Quatro
RECORDED video - Rokus have immediate heavy pixelation and audio dropouts when watching either scheduled recordings or resuming from PAUSE on live TV. All other devices display clear video/audio.
Other observation - When resuming from PAUSE on the Roku the immediate playback is from the Roku internal buffer and appears clear, but as soon as internal buffer is exhausted the recorded video from the HDHomerun DVR begins and pixelation/audio dropouts are observed immediately.

I don't know what the DVR software is doing with the recorded video but watching server resources indicates that a lot of disk activity is underway but output on the network transceiver is very low. That suggests some kind of transcoding may be underway but I find no way to confirm or even modify it in the DVR setup if it is. Does it actually perform any transcoding? If anyone on this thread is knowledgeable please chime in here.

Before I duplicate effort, has anyone tried pushing the Roku back an update or two?

Lastly, where can I get a real technical overview of the DVR software's operation? At least a more detailed map of how the signal proceeds from the tuner to the DVR software to storage and thence to the viewing client software.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

There is no transcoding. The data recorded to files in the DVR is the data that was broadcasted from the TV tower to the TV antenna. When the HDHomeRun app goes to play back that data, it's the same data. Nothing changes any any point in the chain, unless you are using something like Plex or Emby.

Issues tend to be grouped into one of the following (broadly speaking, far from an exact science):
  • Reception quality of the original data from the antenna.
  • Network and/or recording drive speed.
  • Playback device/software.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

NedS wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:06 pm We are looking into it. We think it's the Roku 9.4 update.
NedS,
I just installed three Roku devices and two of the three have no Audio.
Two Roku Express+ Model 3931RW and one Roku Premier Model 3920X.
One 3931RW has audio and the other does not. The 3920X also has no audio.
Both of the devices with no Audio are running v9.40.- build 4200-91.
The one 3931RW with Audio is running v9.0 - build 4200-AE

So it appears that the common thread for Audio vs no Audio is the build #.
Roku v9.40.- build 4200-91 has no audio.
Roku v9.0 - build 4200-AE has audio.

The two TVs using the Roku Express+ model 3931RW devices are a Sansui 18" and the other is a Westinghouse 18" both circa 2008. The Sansui has no audio and the Westinghouse does.

Until I updated the HDhomeRun Connect Duo to firmware 20210303beta1, none of the devices had audio.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

The lack of audio might be because that Sansui doesn't support AC3 decoding over HDMI. Try connecting the Roku that's on your Westinghouse to one of your Sansui TVs and see if you still don't have audio.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

kyl416 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:01 pm The lack of audio might be because that Sansui doesn't support AC3 decoding over HDMI. Try connecting the Roku that's on your Westinghouse to one of your Sansui TVs and see if you still don't have audio.
I thought about that possibility but then the other one running build 4200-91 (with no audio) is an 2015 Sharp 55" LCD, which does.