DRM compatible options ???

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
CharlieR

DRM compatible options ???

Post by CharlieR »

Well, I got my HDHomerun Prime running on my network. Works great on my iPad, iPhone, and Windows 10 desktop.
Unfortunately, my cable provider (Spectrum/WarnerAmex) has marked almost ALL of the Channels as "DRM" protected.
As I see it, the ONLY options to view the channels that are DRM is iPad, iPhone, Windows 10, and Android TV ??
My initial plan was to use an Apple TV box, but from what I'm seeing here, TVOS doesn't support DRM either?
Is there ANY other solutions to view DRM on the Television, other than getting a Sony Android TV?
While it is neat to see it on an iPad, that isn't what I bargained for. :roll:

Thanks,

CharlieR

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: DRM compatible options ???

Post by signcarver »

There are many Android devices that can hook to a tv (no need for a sony tv). I do suggest an Android TV box/dongle rather than generic android box or something else based on a fork of android (such as amazon fire devices) when it comes to DRM as often there is no way to properly check the system's integrity... the new recently release 2020 chromecast usually works rather well, as well as the tivo stream 4k and I still have luck with the Jetstream 4k (some have reported an update caused some issues) among the cheaper options (most would probably say the Shield is generally best). Just remember you may need to make sure location services are on and also may need to reboot after turning such on and making sure the app has such permissions (I don't think you should, but it seems to often help). With some boxes, wifi must be on for location services to work even if connected via ethernet.

An xbox one will also be another device many hook to a tv.
Last edited by signcarver on Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Android TV doesn't really mean has to be embedded in a new TV. There are tons of Android TV boxes out there that can do the job. For example, the latest Chromecast with Google TV is one such option for only $49.99. As long as the box is officially Google certified, it will play DRM channels (try to avoid the ones with know MPEG2 bugs like MiBox, TiVo Stream etc.).

The cheapest one is the newly released Dynalink Android TV box sold through Walmart.com for $29.99. But it is too new to know if it will work fine without the MPEG2 bugs.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I haven't seen as much issue on the tivo stream lately... not sure if I got used to the red shift on switching to software decoding but haven't noticed such since tivo had another update. But any device can always have certain issues with different cable companies (which varies by market) as to how well they behave as some just do a terrible job at the plant that causes such issue.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

SD claimed that switch to software decoding produces subpar de-interlacing images. So, I'd avoid any such device on their black list.

CharlieR

Post by CharlieR »

foxbat121 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:47 am Android TV doesn't really mean has to be embedded in a new TV. There are tons of Android TV boxes out there that can do the job. For example, the latest Chromecast with Google TV is one such option for only $49.99. As long as the box is officially Google certified, it will play DRM channels (try to avoid the ones with know MPEG2 bugs like MiBox, TiVo Stream etc.).

The cheapest one is the newly released Dynalink Android TV box sold through Walmart.com for $29.99. But it is too new to know if it will work fine without the MPEG2 bugs.
OH, if the newest Chromecast with Google TV will display the DRM channels, that is a good !! I didn't know it would. I'll try one of those out. Thank you !!

Charlie