Roku Ultra 2020 - DVR playback is wrong aspect ratio for SD

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
2000cam

Roku Ultra 2020 - DVR playback is wrong aspect ratio for SD

Post by 2000cam »

I got a new Roku Ultra 2020. I also have a Roku Ultra 2019 and Streaming Stick + in my house.

I have the HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO Model: HDVR-4US-1T

It works great with everything for live TV. All devices. The older Rokus are playing back DVR files as they always have.

The new Roku Ultra 2020 has issues playing back recordings the are in SD format from non-HD stations. I only have a few recordings like this. But, they play back a scrunched in like it is a smartphone. Very narrow in the middle of the wide screen, about 1/3 of the screen width. The other devices play it back normally.

I am on the latest version 9.4 of the app on Roku devices.

The recordings play fine on tablet software, phone software, desktop software and the other Roku devices. Just not the new Ultra.

I can't change any aspect ratios on the TV or Roku that I can find. It is a very new Vizio 75" TV.

Any ideas? :?:

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Re: Roku Ultra 2020 - DVR playback is wrong aspect ratio for SD

Post by ronintexas »

There are a few SD stations in my area that were moved from one broadcaster to another for the ATSC 3.0 conversion. They put the channels on a 4:3 aspect ratio, and they should be 14:9, so when I record them with my Tablo DVRs or view them on the HDHomerun software, it is "pinched" like you are describing. On my TVs, instead of the standard "auto" selection of the screen, if you tell it 16:9 aspect ratio, it shows correctly on the screen (the "zoom" is different).

Can you look at the meta data from the channel? (the "info" button on the TV should show the aspect ratio of that channel)

NTC
Device ID: 10751B42, 108007F1

Post by NTC »

2000cam wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm I got a new Roku Ultra 2020. I also have a Roku Ultra 2019 and Streaming Stick + in my house.

I have the HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO Model: HDVR-4US-1T

It works great with everything for live TV. All devices. The older Rokus are playing back DVR files as they always have.

The new Roku Ultra 2020 has issues playing back recordings the are in SD format from non-HD stations. I only have a few recordings like this. But, they play back a scrunched in like it is a smartphone. Very narrow in the middle of the wide screen, about 1/3 of the screen width. The other devices play it back normally.

I am on the latest version 9.4 of the app on Roku devices.

The recordings play fine on tablet software, phone software, desktop software and the other Roku devices. Just not the new Ultra.

I can't change any aspect ratios on the TV or Roku that I can find. It is a very new Vizio 75" TV.

Any ideas? :?:
It's the Roku OS that is at fault. You will get the same video problem if they were played using the Roku Media Player.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Something changed with the Roku 9.4 update that seems to be causing issues. We will look into it and try to work with Roku to fix it.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

Thanks. I'll keep following the thread.
I have found that ALL SD video is effected on the new Ultra 2020. Even live stations.
NedS wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:32 pm Something changed with the Roku 9.4 update that seems to be causing issues. We will look into it and try to work with Roku to fix it.

2000cam

Post by 2000cam »

Anything new?
Roku made a new upgrade for the Ultra 2020, but not an Ultra 2019. It did not help a thing. In fact it has made Roku a bit sketchier altogether. It locks up a bit on different apps.
The SD content coming from HD Homerun is still squeezed. HD is fine.
I'm hoping for a Silicon update soon. The DVR recordings are feeding with digital artifacts and blocking.
Hoping Roku gets back to Silicon on this.