No record series

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
PghCordCutter

Re: No record series

Post by PghCordCutter »

My preference would be to have the red button on the bar give you an option to record or record series once you click it. And to make it more clear, when you click on a series and open up the details / episode page , it would have a red record button up top that could easily record the series in one click.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

The reason for stating the summary, even for a specific airing, is to be super explicit in what is being recorded. It's easy to sometimes select the wrong option, or press the buttons on the remote one too many times, and I find it helpful if an action can confirm what it does on that window, instead of the user having to remember what was previously selected (and is now obscured by a window). My heart isn't set on it, but I think it would be wise for us to be more explicit in the app whenever we can. Worst case, it just tells someone something they already know, but doesn't do any harm.

I like iconography, but I'm not a fan of only using iconography. Any record option should actually state the word "Record...", IMO. It's another one of those things where, worst case is we told you something you already knew, but it doesn't hurt anything. Function over form.

KISS mostly applies if adding something actually makes it more complex to use. It's like the clock in the app, something a ton of people requested, even though everyone most likely has a bunch of other stuff that also tells the time. Some people don't need the clock, but it doesn't make the app harder to use.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

PghCordCutter wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm My preference would be to have the red button on the bar give you an option to record or record series once you click it. And to make it more clear, when you click on a series and open up the details / episode page , it would have a red record button up top that could easily record the series in one click.
That's another part that we are looking at. One idea was that you could select the red dot and the default action would be to record a one-off, but when the dot was selected you could see a little down arrow, and pressing down while the red dot was selected might give you more options. Basically, make that action bar work in all four directions, which could help reduce the number of button presses it takes to select different things. We still need to figure out how touch screen users would deal with this, though, so that also has to be considered.

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter »

I like it!

PghCordCutter

Post by PghCordCutter »

NedS wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:42 pm
PghCordCutter wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm My preference would be to have the red button on the bar give you an option to record or record series once you click it. And to make it more clear, when you click on a series and open up the details / episode page , it would have a red record button up top that could easily record the series in one click.
That's another part that we are looking at. One idea was that you could select the red dot and the default action would be to record a one-off, but when the dot was selected you could see a little down arrow, and pressing down while the red dot was selected might give you more options. Basically, make that action bar work in all four directions, which could help reduce the number of button presses it takes to select different things. We still need to figure out how touch screen users would deal with this, though, so that also has to be considered.

I like it!

mike808
Device ID: (K) Extend 10522C9A ; Quatro 10740D6C

Post by mike808 »

NedS wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:39 pm The reason for stating the summary, even for a specific airing, is to be super explicit in what is being recorded. It's easy to sometimes select the wrong option, or press the buttons on the remote one too many times, and I find it helpful if an action can confirm what it does on that window, instead of the user having to remember what was previously selected (and is now obscured by a window). My heart isn't set on it, but I think it would be wise for us to be more explicit in the app whenever we can. Worst case, it just tells someone something they already know, but doesn't do any harm.

I like iconography, but I'm not a fan of only using iconography. Any record option should actually state the word "Record...", IMO.
NedS wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:42 pm One idea was that you could select the red dot and the default action would be to record a one-off, but when the dot was selected you could see a little down arrow, and pressing down while the red dot was selected might give you more options. Basically, make that action bar work in all four directions, which could help reduce the number of button presses it takes to select different things. We still need to figure out how touch screen users would deal with this, though, so that also has to be considered.
Didn't you just reply to my post that you weren't a fan of using only iconography and would insist on displaying the word "Record" adjacent to any "red dot" indicator? Which is it? Remember, any text has to take into account localization for screen real estate. As long as iconography is consistent and clear, it doesn't matter. The "red dot" is pretty universal for "record" across the whole of media recording in any device or format or technology. Do you insist on "Minimize" labels next to the "-", "Maximize" next to the "[]", and "Close" next to the "X" icons on windows? Of course not. So why would this be raised as a potential objection to one suggestion and open support for it in another?

I'm not asking for a do-over, just that you try not to be dismissive about something you then contradict yourself in the next post. We're all trying to convey our primary goal, as users, is for the interface to have three attributes: simple, simple, and simple. Multi-way flyouts and flattening little-used options alongside major defaulting ones clutters the interface. That isn't simple. Click and red dot comes on. Click and red dot turns off. That is simple. Whatever replaces that should be equivalently functional for the same interaction level required.

It was never explained what was so terrible about the "Record Series/All" and "Hide" buttons that they had to be removed. That was my real question to start with.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

mike808 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:50 am Didn't you just reply to my post that you weren't a fan of using only iconography and would insist on displaying the word "Record" adjacent to any "red dot" indicator? Which is it? Remember, any text has to take into account localization for screen real estate. As long as iconography is consistent and clear, it doesn't matter. The "red dot" is pretty universal for "record" across the whole of media recording in any device or format or technology. Do you insist on "Minimize" labels next to the "-", "Maximize" next to the "[]", and "Close" next to the "X" icons on windows? Of course not. So why would this be raised as a potential objection to one suggestion and open support for it in another?
My apologies if I came off as dismissive, this is just my thoughts on the matter (as a support person who spends all day explaining things to people, which is why I like the idea of being very explicit about everything). IMO, in a perfect world, record would always say "Record". On the live TV action bar, there isn't enough room. In the recording pop-up we have a ton more room to use. It's not something I feel very strongly about one way or the other, so long as it appears reasonable that most people can understand it.
It was never explained what was so terrible about the "Record Series/All" and "Hide" buttons that they had to be removed. That was my real question to start with.
I think the thought at the time was that those buttons might not be necessary, with the new recording popup (which will be needed for individual recordings, no matter what happens). Having thought about, I would like to see them go back, and it sounds like others would like them back as well. We need the "Hide" button anyways, so it's not like we'll gain much space in not having the Record series/all button there. It might even be an opportunity to have a new button to show the full summary of a show/movie full screen, as that would be a logical place for it (below the summary, where the buttons used to be).

mike808

Post by mike808 »

NedS wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:11 am IMO, in a perfect world, record would always say "Record". On the live TV action bar, there isn't enough room.
The context wasn't the live TV action bar. It was in the discovery view when you clicked on the right-hand side of the row for that showing, the red dot would toggle on and off for one-click for a one-time recording. Super simple. Intuitive. No label. Was it too confusing without the label? Put a column heading of "Rec" then. Also, changing that to a required multi-click sub-menu does not simplify the UX.

I can see five primary one-click "functions":
  1. Hide
  2. One-time Recording
  3. Record Series
  4. Record Current Season/All Showings (only relevant when "Record Series" is set)
  5. Recording Options Menu (only relevant when either "One-time Recording" or "Record Series" is set)
I would posit that the Current/All setting is the most used/understood option, and that the rest (start/end, 4K/HD/SD, Channel, new or not, ...) are rarely used enough to be reasonably relegated to a sub-menu (requiring more clicks/interaction).

The Channel selection (#/any) could also be a toggle on clicking on the channel number display, much like the current/all button and the "red ball" toggles work. Currently, to record a show or to cancel a recording now takes two clicks. It can be better. I think it was better when that only took one click.

What about the Channel selection (clicking on the channel #) is only active if the show is being recorded?

What about when a show is recorded (the "red dot" is lit) there is a hamburger menu icon for explicity opening the sub-menu? Just like on the action bar we have the "red dot" for one-click start live recording and a separate menu icon. They're just not right next to each other. Or the "red dot" on the discovery menu is moved over to the first column on the left-hand side and the hamburger menu icon can be displayed on the far right after the Date column, somewhat consistent with the action bar positioning from the main screen. I don't see an easy way to combine one-off and series recording in a way that doesn't have to have separate paths to their respective options settings.

I also think that the radio setting for the early/extra recording time should be changed to an option spinner much like video game setting screens. e.g. a left-arrow button for rotating to the prior option, the current option is displayed, and a right-arrow button for rotating to the next option. That only takes up one row, and users only need to cycle through the options once to understand how the control works. It takes the current two separate "flyout sub-menus" for the early/extra settings into a single menu with two rows and remain in situ on that first menu.

mike808

Post by mike808 »

Observations on the current flyout menu to edit a recording. There are three different UI visual cues and interaction types going on.
The first option, current/all series, is a toggle when you click on the "[...]" icon. What? no "More" or "Edit" label? /jk ;)
The second option, Channel, is a flyout sub-menu with radio buttons using a "red dot" iconography (which is sort of inconsistent with the non-moving "on/off" nature of a toggle used elsewhere?).
The third and fourth options, early/extra recording time, is also a flyout sub-men, but instead of a moving "red dot" radio button, we have solid immobile buttons that one clicks on.

It seems inconsistent. Understandable if you all are testing the interfaces, though. Is there any interest in the video game "horizontal spinner" type control? "◄ (setting) ►" and using it for all of the settings. It works even when there are just 2 settings. Then the UI looks like a label:value table and everything is accessible from the same menu without any further sub-menus or flyouts. e.g.:
Recording settings
Season ◄ Current | All ►
Channel ◄ Any | 3.1-HD | 5.3-SD ►
Start Early ◄ 30s | OnTime | 1m | 2m | 5m | 10m | 15m | 30m | 1h ►
Stop Extra ◄ 30s | OnTime | 1m | 2m | 5m | 10m | 15m | 30m | 1h ►

Lastly, deleting a recording doesn't turn off the "red dot", and when going from "discovery" back to "live", the screen is just black and the tuner doesn't "kick in" until I click on the screen.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

mike808 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:57 pm It seems inconsistent. Understandable if you all are testing the interfaces, though. Is there any interest in the video game "horizontal spinner" type control? "◄ (setting) ►" and using it for all of the settings. It works even when there are just 2 settings. Then the UI looks like a label:value table and everything is accessible from the same menu without any further sub-menus or flyouts. e.g.:
Recording settings
Season ◄ Current | All ►
Channel ◄ Any | 3.1-HD | 5.3-SD ►
Start Early ◄ 30s | OnTime | 1m | 2m | 5m | 10m | 15m | 30m | 1h ►
Stop Extra ◄ 30s | OnTime | 1m | 2m | 5m | 10m | 15m | 30m | 1h ►
Left/right could work for padding. The problem is the Channel and Team selection has multi-select so it needs to be a full list.

Nick

mike808

Post by mike808 »

nickk wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 pm Left/right could work for padding. The problem is the Channel and Team selection has multi-select so it needs to be a full list.
Are there really that many people selecting independent multiple channels to record that requires the UI and UX to be encumbered/complicated for everyone else?

I posit that the overwhelming majority of people recording a show that actually broadcasts on multiple channels are in the camp of "record them all", aka "any", or "record the current season, which is also going to be on an HD primary channel", aka "Any HD", or "record past seasons, which are very likely to be on SD sub-channels", aka "Any SD". Or, they will have exactly one channel they want to record the show from.

e.g. Channel ◄Any|Any HD|Any SD|3.1HD|3.2SD|3.3SD|3.4SD|5.1HD|5.2SD|...►

Any outliers/power users with weird multi-selection of channels could be accommodated by allowing multiple "tasks" for the same show? I just don't see ruining the whole UI for the sake of a "perfect" accommodation of both users trying to think up non-real-world use cases. I can't think of the use case where individual multi-channel is actually needed. What's the example that is driving that as a "hard" requirement in the UI?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

While it would look "nicer" than a popup menu, it doesn't strike me as "harder" to use a popup menu, over a rotation/left-right selection. Being able to select multiple channels is not really a power user option, either. It's more about being able to ignore certain channels, rather than wanting something complicated. For example, TBS is notorious for showing syndicated shows that are edited down for time, so it's great being able to exclude TBS when you still want to record the same syndicated show on 3 or 4 other channels. It's also a way to record from HD-only channels while ignoring SD channels, without making that a different setting. Those are very common use cases, not edge cases.