Want to switch to Spectrum cable

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
alangant

Want to switch to Spectrum cable

Post by alangant »

I am currently using an HDHomeRun Quatro and an HDHomeRun Prime with HDHomeRun DVR software. The Prime has a cable card from Frontier FIOS. Frontier has dropped some essential channels, and my other provider is Spectrum. Can I use a cable card from Spectrum in my Prime and watch/record everything? I have seen statements that Spectrum uses DRM and thus won't work. Specifically, I want Fox Sports SW and ESPN channels. In the Dallas, TX area.

Thanks,
Alan

kkingsto

Re: Want to switch to Spectrum cable

Post by kkingsto »

You can do that.. You will also need to get a Tuning Adapter from Spectrum. You connect the T.A. to the Prime with a USB cable. The T.A. also has to have a coax connected to it also so you'll need a splitter.

Only thing I don't like about this setup (I have 2 Primes and 2 T.A.'s) is that the T.A. loses it authorization. Resetting the service with the MySpectrum App has helped (Wish they'd show the MAC address on that app).

Other than that, works good!

-Karl

alangant

Post by alangant »

Thanks for the fast reply, Karl! So, if I get this right: Spectrum coax to a splitter, then to both T.A. and HD Prime, with cablecard in the Prime. Also, does internet service also come in via coax? or Cat6? I plan to get broadband and TV service, with no Spectrum DVR. And you're saying that DRM is a non-issue as long as I have the T.A.?

I want to have my information ready when I call Spectrum.

Many thanks!
Alan

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

DRM is still an issue. HDHR DVR doesn't support DRM channels at all at this time. You will need WMC 7 or 8 for that.

alangant

Post by alangant »

I appreciate the information foxbat121. Is there a way to determine if a regional sports channel (FoxSports Southwest Dallas) has DRM, or ESPN or TNT? These are the only critical channels for my NBA habit.

Thanks, Alan

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

It is easy if you already have the subscription and working cablecard. The channel scan in Prime's web page will show which channel has DRM. But since you haven't switched over yet, there is no way to know.

But according to many posts on this forum, Spectrum mark ALL channels DRM protected.

kkingsto

Post by kkingsto »

Spectrum is pretty much all DRM. At least it is here.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Depends on where... Charter was about 50/50 and there have been statements that at least a few areas added it to more but have also heard a few areas actually not have it when they had it before, former TWC areas are probably close to 100% use of DRM on at least all the "cable" (non-local) channels, Brighthouse, which removed DRM on most prior to the merge, had "regressed" in most (if not all) areas to it being on nearly all channels again.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

I have Spectrum here, formerly Bright House, in southeastern Michigan. Only a handful of DRM channels out of about 440 total channels. Same as before the merger.

JustFax

Post by JustFax »

alangant wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:35 pm I am currently using an HDHomeRun Quatro and an HDHomeRun Prime with HDHomeRun DVR software. The Prime has a cable card from Frontier FIOS. Frontier has dropped some essential channels, and my other provider is Spectrum. Can I use a cable card from Spectrum in my Prime and watch/record everything? I have seen statements that Spectrum uses DRM and thus won't work. Specifically, I want Fox Sports SW and ESPN channels. In the Dallas, TX area.

Thanks,
Alan
I find it confusing trying to understand exactly what you mean by "DRM". I know that DRM means Digital Rights Management, but does it mean that a DRM'd channel is not "Clear QAM", or in other words that it can be tuned-in without having a cable card? Or by DRM do you mean that the "Broadcast Flag" is set, thereby prohibiting compliant hardware/software from recording?

alangant

Post by alangant »

Sorry for the incomplete description. My intention is to use a cablecard from Spectrum in my Prime and then to record with the HDHomeRun DVR. The cablecard should handle the non-clear QAM channels, but would not overcome any broadcast flags that are set, if my understanding is correct. I am trying to ascertain if FoxSportsSW, ESPN, or TNT would be recordable with this setup. I have seen posts that imply that only WMC 7 or 8.1 will record these, as they are compliant DVRs.

Does anyone who actually uses Spectrum with a cablecard have an answer?

Thanks!
Alan

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

JustFax wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:50 pm
alangant wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:35 pm I am currently using an HDHomeRun Quatro and an HDHomeRun Prime with HDHomeRun DVR software. The Prime has a cable card from Frontier FIOS. Frontier has dropped some essential channels, and my other provider is Spectrum. Can I use a cable card from Spectrum in my Prime and watch/record everything? I have seen statements that Spectrum uses DRM and thus won't work. Specifically, I want Fox Sports SW and ESPN channels. In the Dallas, TX area.

Thanks,
Alan
I find it confusing trying to understand exactly what you mean by "DRM". I know that DRM means Digital Rights Management, but does it mean that a DRM'd channel is not "Clear QAM", or in other words that it can be tuned-in without having a cable card? Or by DRM do you mean that the "Broadcast Flag" is set, thereby prohibiting compliant hardware/software from recording?
Technically not the Broadcast Flag as some call it (the broadcast flag is based on OTA and never really used as it was ruled it couldn't be enforced). When referring to DRM in this forum we are referring to channels marked as being DRM protected (just about anything other than a CCI value of 0 ).
alangant wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:57 pm Sorry for the incomplete description. My intention is to use a cablecard from Spectrum in my Prime and then to record with the HDHomeRun DVR. The cablecard should handle the non-clear QAM channels, but would not overcome any broadcast flags that are set, if my understanding is correct. I am trying to ascertain if FoxSportsSW, ESPN, or TNT would be recordable with this setup. I have seen posts that imply that only WMC 7 or 8.1 will record these, as they are compliant DVRs.

Does anyone who actually uses Spectrum with a cablecard have an answer?

Thanks!
Alan
For someone to answer as to what channels have DRM protection enforced they would need to know your city at the very least (the provider of Spectrum was already provided) but some cities may have multiple former providers that got purchased by Charter to form Spectrum and you would probably need to know what the former provider was in that case to get a better idea.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

All areas that were TWC before the merger are DRM protected on everything except the broadcast channels. I'm pretty sure all of the legacy Charter areas in DFW (most of Tarrant County, Park cities, etc.) are the same way. DRM channels can only be recorded by WMC on Windows 7 or 8.1.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Post by thedoomster »

I have Spectrum formerly TWC with all except local channels DRM-protected. In general HDHOMERUN works well but make sure your cable levels are strong or you will have all kinds of issues. Hopefully you will get a savvy tech to assist with setup and troubleshooting if needed. I'm curious just how good Spectrum service will be with CC support no longer mandated, so please keep us updated on your progress. Of course it probably varies too by region. Us CC users are a dying breed I fear.

As far as clients, my HDHOMERUN app preferences for a CableCard setup are, in order:
1. Windows10
2. xBox One
3. Android (Google) TV
4. Android

I don't use Amazon or Apple products so can't speak for them.

Don't bother with Roku, it isn't fully supported on the Prime (no DRM).

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

jasonl wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:57 pm All areas that were TWC before the merger are DRM protected on everything except the broadcast channels. I'm pretty sure all of the legacy Charter areas in DFW (most of Tarrant County, Park cities, etc.) are the same way. DRM channels can only be recorded by WMC on Windows 7 or 8.1.
Agreed. Long time Spectrum CC user in Dallas - I am still on Win7 WMC for this very reason.