Static IP Address.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
MuttMutt

Static IP Address.

Post by MuttMutt »

Not sure about most people but there are some things that I prefer to set a static IP address to. Part of the reason is that even if my router is down I can still access things. For me setting a static IP also means that say during a storm I can keep my AP, a switch and the tuner powered up on a battery backup and use my tablet to keep an eye on things while not keeping my router powered.

Sadly there is currently no function I can find to set one. Sure the "hdhomerun.local" function works but I still do most of my stuff via IP address within my home anyway. It is something I have done for years and will continue to do. I do have a static reservation in my router but that is only good till a device decides it's time to update.

A simple checkbox and maybe a disclaimer about not being able to reset the IP if that is the case would be fine. A function where it's powered off and on multiple times within a few seconds would work as a reset for the IP address as well if that could be implemented though discovery on the same net should still work just fine.

jakep82

Re: Static IP Address.

Post by jakep82 »

You should be able to assign the IP based on MAC address which does not change.

pungo

Post by pungo »

Isn't DHCP set in your router where you can set whatever devices you want to use a static IP instead of DHCP?
I set all my HDHomeRun devices and camers to static on the router so I can access them via a know IP address that never changes.

swmarks

Post by swmarks »

I think folks in this thread are confusing some terminology. It does not appear to be possible to set a static IP address in the web GUI for these HDHR devices. Therefore, if you had no DHCP server, it would give itself a self-assigned 169.x.x.x address. On most DHCP servers, including most home routers, you can configure a DHCP reservation which will ensure that the device is always assigned the same address and is functionally the same as assigning a static IP address on the device as far as most end users are concerned.

But I could definitely see some real world applications where there is otherwise no need for a router/DHCP server and in those cases, this is a real system design consideration.

I haven't tested to see if this is possible on more than the Tech units, but there is this guide which indicates you can set a static IP on at least a Tech unit. It would be great if you could do this on other HDHR units from a command line. Keeps newbs safe from subnetting their device outside of their current network and screaming to support they can't access it while allowing power users to do what they need to do.

shawn_75
Device ID: 151032EF

Post by shawn_75 »

Other than the TECH models, these are very firmly in the "consumer" category of technology. Wanting to set a static IP on your devices in your network places you outside of that consumer category. Can you imagine the support nightmare that would occur? These units, along with the app use UPnP broadcast and unicast methods. Just getting the subnet mask wrong would break everything. The OP is wanting a use case that is outside the scope of consumer. The low power consumption solution for the OP would be to run a DHCP server on the tablet or use a Raspberry pi as a DHCP server.

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

shawn_75 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:30 am Wanting to set a static IP on your devices in your network places you outside of that consumer category.
With all due respect: Nonsense. Just about every device on our home LAN/WLAN has an option to locally set a static IP address. Heck, even our iPhones and iPads have it, and Apple is pretty much the epitome of "consumer" tech.

That being said: Very little on our home network uses static IP addressing. (The main network server, the NAS, and the inside address of the border router I think are about it.) Instead I use what I call "static dynamic" addressing: I set reserved addresses for nearly everything in the DHCP server. I do this so they can all have assigned host names so I can always readily identify everything.

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

jseymour wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:53 am With all due respect: Nonsense. Just about every device on our home LAN/WLAN has an option to locally set a static IP address. Heck, even our iPhones and iPads have it, and Apple is pretty much the epitome of "consumer" tech.
Then that places you in what Microsoft used to call a power user. Think of everyone you know. How many of those people would be able to assign a proper IP address and subnet mask that would still allow it to communicate across the internet, communicate with other devices on the same LAN, and also receive broadcast packets from those devices? You, me, and the majority of people that frequent this forum can do that. Most of the consumers out there...no.

swmarks

Post by swmarks »

I don't see the harm in exposing the ability to set a static IP via the command line. Regular users won't know that exists.

MuttMutt

Post by MuttMutt »

I actually do have a static reservation in DHCP now.

But the issue is that I live in storm country. I KNOW that I can and will lose power, in fact here recently with an ice storm people were without power for a week not far from me and I was without for most of a day. Keeping an AP and the tuner powered off a battery backup is simple. But eventually the tuner will try and do an address request and will fail as the router will not be powered. I can't keep my router and the multitude of switches powered on for the same length of time. Being able to use a tablet with a WiFi AP and the tuner will make it so I can easily keep an eye on the weather and such for at least 6 or 8 hours but that will be a problem without a static IP reservation.

Someone wants to put a notification that they will not support a connectivity issue because I set a static IP, not a problem. I know my FreeNAS is at 150, my Plex is at 151, my Tautulli is at 152 and my HD Homerun is at 153... For me it will not be an issue. If you don't want the average person to do it then make it so there is a firmware built with the ability and you have to be logged in and affirm you know what you are doing before hand.

I also don't see it as being a "power user" feature. Nearly every device I have ever used with an ethernet port has supported it. And why should I have to run a second device to provide an IP address if there is a power outage. To me that is ludicrous. I have my FreeNAS setup so I don't need to do that with most of the stuff I have running, I am not going to throw more power during an outage at keeping something else powered on.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Nearly every other device has a way to reset it, either a switch or screen/keyboard. There is not such on the HDHomeRuns and it is highly likely that the consumer will get a new router at some point that may use a different subnet (I e. most consumer routers typically use 192.168.0.0, 192.168 1.0, or 192.168.2.0 /24 go into more prosumer ones they may use a 10 or 172 (.16-31) address and may vary default network mask and they typically wouldn't know the previous network they used.

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

MuttMutt wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:56 pm I actually do have a static reservation in DHCP now.

But the issue is that I live in storm country. I KNOW that I can and will lose power, in fact here recently with an ice storm people were without power for a week not far from me and I was without for most of a day. Keeping an AP and the tuner powered off a battery backup is simple. But eventually the tuner will try and do an address request and will fail as the router will not be powered. I can't keep my router and the multitude of switches powered on for the same length of time. Being able to use a tablet with a WiFi AP and the tuner will make it so I can easily keep an eye on the weather and such for at least 6 or 8 hours but that will be a problem without a static IP reservation.
Use the DHCP server in the wireless AP as it very likely has one. Or install a DHCP server on your tablet. You aren't forced to use the server in your router.

MuttMutt

Post by MuttMutt »

I refuse to have a need to run multiple DHCP servers that is plain dumb.

To add to this, it's the Silicon Dust people who need to make a decision on this. They can either do it or not.

Stop telling me how to run my network. I have a very specific use case and am not going to jump through a ton of hoops. If they can't do it the box will head to Ebay.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We don't recommend running multiple DHCP servers. That usually ends in a mess.

If you have a working DHCP server the HDHomeRun will pick up an IP address from the DHCP server. Most DHCP servers allow you to reserve a specific IP address but we recommend accessing the HDHomeRun by <deviceid>.local

If your DHCP server goes offline for long enough for the lease to expire the HDHomeRun will continue to work via AutoIP (HDHomeRun devices concurrently maintain both a DHCP address and an AutoIP address, same as how IPv6 works). On your PCs set a second static IP in the AutoIP range to ensure access without a DHCP server.

Personally I used dnsmasq for my DHCP server and configure things to be where I want them. At the office we have a rule that identifies the HDHomeRun MAC prefix so all HDHomeRun end up in a specific part of the IP range.

With <deviceid>.local combined with concurrent DHCP+AutoIP the actual IP address shouldn't matter.

Nick

shawn_75

Post by shawn_75 »

MuttMutt wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:48 pm I refuse to have a need to run multiple DHCP servers that is plain dumb.

To add to this, it's the Silicon Dust people who need to make a decision on this. They can either do it or not.

Stop telling me how to run my network. I have a very specific use case and am not going to jump through a ton of hoops. If they can't do it the box will head to Ebay.
I never told you to run multiple servers. Your wireless AP appears be be used in both normal power and while you're on battery. Use the server in the wireless AP for all of your DHCP.

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

shawn_75 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:44 pm
jseymour wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:53 am With all due respect: Nonsense. Just about every device on our home LAN/WLAN has an option to locally set a static IP address. Heck, even our iPhones and iPads have it, and Apple is pretty much the epitome of "consumer" tech.
Then that places you in what Microsoft used to call a power user.
I'm not arguing the average end-user would use static IP assignment--or should even try to. I'm arguing the mere presence of the option is not reserved to particularly geeky hardware.