HDHomeRun VIEW won't display Cable Channels: HDHR3-CC, Win 7 64bit

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jeepman

HDHomeRun VIEW won't display Cable Channels: HDHR3-CC, Win 7 64bit

Post by jeepman »

HDHomeRun VIEW won't display Cable Channels: HDHR3-CC, Win 7 64bit.

Background:
  • All HDHR3-CC (Spectrum Cable) based channels are viewable in Win 8.1 Windows Media Center
  • I also have a Duo Connect for OTA. I am able to view OTA channels with the HDHR VIEW application. NOTE: I do not have the DUO Connect added as part of 8.1WMC so they are not viewable.
  • I am running the latest HDHR Software
  • On another system I am also NOT able to view the HDHR3-CC based channels in HDHR VIEW software, just the Duo Connect channels.
  • In HDHomeRun SETUP, all HDHR3-CC channels are added to the CableCard tab
https://imgur.com/nanKsSU

So in a nutshell, the only way I can view the Spectrum cable channels (HDHR3-CC) is on my 8.1 Windows Media Center.

Has anyone else had this issue?

jasonl
Expert

Re: HDHomeRun VIEW won't display Cable Channels: HDHR3-CC, Win 7 64bit

Post by jasonl »

All your "cable" channels are going to be DRM protected on Spectrum, so everything you've described is exactly what should be happening.

jeepman

Post by jeepman »

jasonl wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:45 pm All your "cable" channels are going to be DRM protected on Spectrum, so everything you've described is exactly what should be happening.
Darn, this is honestly a bit crushing. I was excited to think that I could watch all my Cable TV channels from my office, simply by connecting to the HDHR3-CC. I do see in HDHR Setup, there is a way to set the "BDA Compatibility Mode" and it includes software names in addition to Windows Media Center. For example, there is also "For the Record," "J River Media Center," etc. I will need to check each one out to see if any support viewing CableCard managed channels outside of Windows Media Center, over the wire. I would hate to have to buy another copy of Windows 8.1 with the Pro Expansion Pack just to watch the Cable TV channels.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

If you update to windows 10 you can use SD's HDHomeRun app but for windows 7 and 8 you need wmc for drm protected content. Some versions of powerDVD ultra also support dtcp-ip direct from the tuner but from what I recall they haven't advertised such features the past few versions (I think it somewhat worked with 12 and/or 13 and the version that heavily advertised such was 13 or 14 then nothing stated for release notes but may still be included but it has been years since I used it)

jeepman

Post by jeepman »

signcarver wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:39 pm If you update to windows 10 you can use SD's HDHomeRun app...
This is good news I think: I have a laptop with Win 10 Pro and a MacBook Pro with a Win 10 VM running in Parallels. I'll give it a shot on the Win 10 laptop to see if the built in gfx is up to snuff.

jeepman

Post by jeepman »

jeepman wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:10 pm
signcarver wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:39 pm If you update to windows 10 you can use SD's HDHomeRun app...
This is good news I think: I have a laptop with Win 10 Pro and a MacBook Pro with a Win 10 VM running in Parallels. I'll give it a shot on the Win 10 laptop to see if the built in gfx is up to snuff.
So it is working just fine on my laptop! This may be the "nudge" I need to move away from Windows 7 Ultimate on my main PC!

Thanks for the assistance.