DVR Service Trial - avoid annual commitment?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
dogbreath

DVR Service Trial - avoid annual commitment?

Post by dogbreath »

I have been using the HDHomerun Duo with my Plex server for several months - for live and DVR recording thru Plex. Lately, the Plex DVR is unreliable, especially while time shifting a sporting event (watching 30 minutes behind during an active recording). Often lately, the FWD/skip ahead button doesn't work at all. I'm now willing to give the Homerun DVR a try, but see that it is $35 annual fee? I'd like to try it for a month at a time to make sure it works more reliable than Plex - is there a way to get this monthly (or a trial run)? I plan to use the same PC (always on) that I am running my plex server thru as my DVR... Thanks!

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Re: DVR Service Trial - avoid annual commitment?

Post by elabra »

dogbreath wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:45 am I have been using the HDHomerun Duo with my Plex server for several months - for live and DVR recording thru Plex. Lately, the Plex DVR is unreliable, especially while time shifting a sporting event (watching 30 minutes behind during an active recording). Often lately, the FWD/skip ahead button doesn't work at all. I'm now willing to give the Homerun DVR a try, but see that it is $35 annual fee? I'd like to try it for a month at a time to make sure it works more reliable than Plex - is there a way to get this monthly (or a trial run)? I plan to use the same PC (always on) that I am running my plex server thru as my DVR... Thanks!
I believe they will allow you to "return" the DVR within a month if it doesn't meet your needs. Please note that I do not work for SD so you should wait for an official confirmation that you can try it and rerturn it within a month from a SD employee on this forum.

Also note that the SD DVR and Plex DVR do not "play nice" and share tuners so if you have Plex shows and SD DVR shows scheduled to record at the same time they may conflict with each other so you may want to disable thee Plex Live TV recording feature while you try this DVR.

The SD DVR is rock solid but does not have all the bells and whistles of the Plex DVR for scheduling shows.

JustFax

Post by JustFax »

Rock solid? The ability to remember the elapsed time of viewing of a recorded video if you turn off the playback viewer is broken. When you turn the viewer back on and return to the recorded program, the viewer will either have completely forgotten where you stopped the viewing last time, or it will show an erroneous spot in the program, not the correct spot where you stopped viewing it previously. I have to make a penciled note of where I stopped viewing every program. I have posted about this erroneous behavior twice before, but it did not receive a response from the SD programmers.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

JustFax wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:24 pm Rock solid? The ability to remember the elapsed time of viewing of a recorded video if you turn off the playback viewer is broken. When you turn the viewer back on and return to the recorded program, the viewer will either have completely forgotten where you stopped the viewing last time, or it will show an erroneous spot in the program, not the correct spot where you stopped viewing it previously. I have to make a penciled note of where I stopped viewing every program. I have posted about this erroneous behavior twice before, but it did not receive a response from the SD programmers.
Which player platform and how are you turning it off?

JustFax

Post by JustFax »

nickk wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:29 pm
JustFax wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:24 pm Rock solid? The ability to remember the elapsed time of viewing of a recorded video if you turn off the playback viewer is broken. When you turn the viewer back on and return to the recorded program, the viewer will either have completely forgotten where you stopped the viewing last time, or it will show an erroneous spot in the program, not the correct spot where you stopped viewing it previously. I have to make a penciled note of where I stopped viewing every program. I have posted about this erroneous behavior twice before, but it did not receive a response from the SD programmers.
Which player platform and how are you turning it off?
I am using a Fire TV box (HDHomeRun app version 20201030) for control and an always-on Windows 10 computer to host the Record executable. The best results that I get for the DVR to at least show something in the elapsed time bar when I return to the recorded video is to end the playback by pressing these keys on the remote: the Return key (pressed twice), the Home key, long press on the Home key, Right Direction key (to select "Sleep"), and the Select key. Even if I turn off the Fire TV box this way, there will usually be nothing showing in the elapsed time bar when I return to the unfinished program if I choose to do anything else, such as watch some other recorded program before returning to the prior unfinished program. If you could fix this problem, I would be very pleased with the SD DVR software, because I do think that it is a solid performer otherwise.