Settings ? and view outside the home ???

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rkkeller

Settings ? and view outside the home ???

Post by rkkeller »

Hi, new user here, but been using other OTA DVR's for 20 or so years. Have a TiVo and FireTv Recast DVR right now and was looking to replace them with the new ATSC 3.0 model which is what I bought.

I have not been able to find any settings at all, for example how many episodes to keep and things like that. Are there any?

Maybe it is only me, but I back and exit out of the app all the time and its gets frustrating.

Also no real instructions how to use the guide, how do you get it full screen too?

I am trying Plex, but don't have the Pass so I can't record, but I have a lot of personal things in it, so really do not want to use it, as a few clicks anyone can see my stuff.

Is it really this barebones and no frills as I might have to return it as it lacks so many basic basic features.

Rich

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Settings ? and view outside the home ???

Post by nickk »

Hi,

Checking, which HDHomeRun model do you have and what client device are you using to watch TV?

Nick

rkkeller

Post by rkkeller »

Hi, I have the new ATSC 3.0 4 tuner model. I use both a FireTV Cube and AppleTV 4k for viewing.

Rich

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The HDHomeRun AppleTV app is one of our current development efforts. We released live tv support about a 6 weeks ago and recorded playback about a week ago. Goal is to have a patch release out late next week which among other things changes the Menu button handling in top-level-recorded so it doesn't exit the app on a single click.

We don't have an option for number of episodes to keep. Unlike a TiVo the HDHomeRun DVR supports any number of record engines with any number of large hard drives. Buy a large hard drive and keep every episode... no need to delete anything.

We have an upgrade for more advanced recording rules scheduled to be released next week (it is in QA now).

Streaming outside the home can be done with Plex. You can use the HDHomeRun DVR to record and point Plex at the directory where recordings are made.

Nick

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

rkkeller wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:39 am Also no real instructions how to use the guide, how do you get it full screen too?
I don't believe you can.
rkkeller wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:39 am I am trying Plex, but don't have the Pass so I can't record
To try out Plex DVR, you can subscribe for just a month at a time, so no need for a lifetime Pass.
rkkeller wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:39 am I have a lot of personal things in it, so really do not want to use it, as a few clicks anyone can see my stuff.
You can limit access to recordings by setting up a separate Plex Library to record to. And actually a lot more, including managing what different "viewers" (kids, teens, adults) can access.
rkkeller wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:39 am Is it really this barebones and no frills as I might have to return it as it lacks so many basic basic features.
I've been using the EXTEND tuner for years and bought the CONNECT 4K tuner -- and I have rarely used the HDHomeRun app; I prefer Channels DVR and then Plex...

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

Unless something's changed: Last I knew you could not view outside the home unless maybe if you used a VPN server on your home network?

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

jseymour wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:44 am Unless something's changed: Last I knew you could not view outside the home unless maybe if you used a VPN server on your home network?
Can't view what (outside the home) using what? :) A couple of things have been mentioned in this thread now :)

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

[removed by moderator to focus on support]

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

[removed by moderator]

rkkeller

Post by rkkeller »

Maybe it was my confusion, but I am looking for something full featured to try to replace my TiVo or Recast DVR with. Tivo is great as long as you only have one TV or willing to spend a lot to connect to more. The Recast DVR is nice, works well, looks good just locked to FireTV devices and I also use AppleTV 4k devices.

So outside the home, both TiVo and Recast work fine. At home I need to choose what device I use as TiVo is hdmi, Recast only works with FireTV devices and I wanted something that was just as full featured that works with "everything".

The HDHomeRun I heard so much about, but the app is so bare bones and basic. Even using Plex there are not really many more features. This was over a $400 investment for ATSC 3.0 and storage, new ethernet for the setup and all that and I am really finding I can do less with it.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

For in-home viewing we recommend the HDHomeRun DVR.
For viewing outside the home one option is Plex configured to detect the recordings recorded by the HDHomeRun DVR.

The HDHomeRun DVR has some pretty advanced features including the ability to have any number of record engines / hard drives for storage, any number of tuners, and any number of clients devices within the home.

The UI is designed to give you quick access to play your recordings and to help you find new shows to record. Live TV is designed for big screen use where you can look at what is on other channels while other people are watching. Channel change time is fast.

Happy to help... do you watch a lot of live TV or mostly recorded content? and what features do you commonly use on these other platforms that the HDHomeRun DVR is missing?

Nick