Apple TV + DVR Recorded Playback!

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: Apple TV + DVR Recorded Playback!

Post by nickk »

tsimblist wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:37 pm I was able to navigate to a recording and start playing it. But once the recording is playing, I can only Pause/Play or Menu back out. The arrow buttons on the remote do not skip forward/backward like the Windows 10 App.
FF/RW is supported.

Can you please post a picture of the remote you are using to avoid any confusion.

Nick

rkkeller

Post by rkkeller »

Is this ever going to be ready for actual day to day use? No features, no frills at all, lacks even the most basic of things????

I was hoping to replace my TiVo or Recast DVR with this, but just lacks so so much even the Android version.

Rich

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

nickk wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:59 pm
tsimblist wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:37 pm I was able to navigate to a recording and start playing it. But once the recording is playing, I can only Pause/Play or Menu back out. The arrow buttons on the remote do not skip forward/backward like the Windows 10 App.
FF/RW is supported.

Can you please post a picture of the remote you are using to avoid any confusion.

Nick
I can confirm FF/REW is not working for me either. I'm using a Harmony remote with BT connection. I don't have the original ATV 4K remote.

On top of that, it is also not possible to delete the recording either. I can only view the recording. That's it.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

rkkeller wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:20 am Is this ever going to be ready for actual day to day use? No features, no frills at all, lacks even the most basic of things????
Apple TV is one of our new development efforts. We are doing releases as we add features - support for playing recordings was released 2 weeks ago. The app is not feature complete. Right now you can watch live TV and you can play recordings. You will continue to see app updates.

Nick

tsimblist

Post by tsimblist »

FF/RW is supported.

Nick
I am using the remote that came with the Apple TV HD. A picture will follow later after I get home from work.

tsimblist

Post by tsimblist »

FF/RW is supported.

Nick
Thank you for clearing my confusion.

I have two Apple TV pucks. One is the original and the other is the Apple TV HD. Therefore I also have two remotes; a silver one that I was using when I experienced the issues I reported and a black one that I just tried and discovered that it has none of those issues.

PS: I did take a picture of them both, but discovered that I didn't know an easy way to post it on this forum.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

You should be able to post a picture as an attachment when you post a reply to this thread.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

So, it looks like the app only supports the latest Apple TV remote for most of the controls. It does not fully support older remotes, any universal remotes (via IR or BT) or HDMI CEC remote from the TV remotes.

tsimblist

Post by tsimblist »

nickk wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 pm You should be able to post a picture as an attachment when you post a reply to this thread.
Can't find any attachment feature. The toolbar has a button to generate BBCode wrapper for an image URL. But I don't know any easy way to get the pic hosted somewhere.

tsimblist

Post by tsimblist »

tsimblist wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:43 am
nickk wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:00 pm You should be able to post a picture as an attachment when you post a reply to this thread.
Can't find any attachment feature. The toolbar has a button to generate BBCode wrapper for an image URL. But I don't know any easy way to get the pic hosted somewhere.
I am "borrowing" the following images from a popular online retailer.
ImageImage

pdxTVfan

Post by pdxTVfan »

The firmware update on 10/24/2020 (or around then) killed two of my channels on iOS devices.

I checked with support, and they said that HEVC broadcasts that use AC-4 audio won't play back on Apple TV or iPhone. I'm using an Apple TV 4K (two of them) and an iPhone 11 Pro.

I wish there were an option to force it to default to the HD broadcast instead of the HEVC broadcast.

In the meantime... I get that only some channels are using AC-4, but I think it's fairly bold to claim that "Apple TV 4K supports ATSC 3.0 with our app" when really, it doesn't. If it did, I would, you know... have sound.

Eagerly awaiting an app update that brings AC-4 support. If not, I really think it's important to warn Apple users that they won't get as many channels as Windows 10 or Xbox users will.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

pdxTVfan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:20 pm I checked with support, and they said that HEVC broadcasts that use AC-4 audio won't play back on Apple TV or iPhone. I'm using an Apple TV 4K (two of them) and an iPhone 11 Pro.
ATSC 3.0 audio is supported on both Apple TV 4K and iPhone 11.
pdxTVfan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:20 pmI wish there were an option to force it to default to the HD broadcast instead of the HEVC broadcast.
We are working on an update to give you the ability to tune ATSC1 and ATSC3 channels with the same virtual channel number.
pdxTVfan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:20 pm Eagerly awaiting an app update that brings AC-4 support. If not, I really think it's important to warn Apple users that they won't get as many channels as Windows 10 or Xbox users will.
If if plays on Windows 10 or XBox it should play on Apple TV 4K. Make sure you have the latest HDHomeRun app installed on your Apple TV 4K.

Nick

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

nickk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:29 pm
pdxTVfan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:20 pmI'm using an Apple TV 4K (two of them) and an iPhone 11 Pro.
ATSC 3.0 audio is supported on both Apple TV 4K and iPhone 11.
Nick
I too have both of these devices with the latest HDHomeRun app installed and i don’t get audio on either one when tuning ATSC 3.0 channels. I get audio on both of these devices on ATSC 3.0 channels when using the Channels app.

Interestingly, it seems like this poster and myself are both from the Portland area. Perhaps that’s a clue to the issue.

P.S. I do get audio on the HDHomeRun apps on the Xbox One and my MacBook Air. The issue is limited to the HDHomeRun app on the AppleTV 4K and iPhone 11 Pro.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We have confirmed a problem with ATSC 3.0 audio playback on the Apple TV 4K.

Look for a new release next week.

Nick

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

nickk wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:29 am We have confirmed a problem with ATSC 3.0 audio playback on the Apple TV 4K.

Look for a new release next week.

Nick
So glad you were able to find the issue! Thanks much!