Apple TV + DVR Recorded Playback!

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
roboehmke

Re: Apple TV + DVR Recorded Playback!

Post by roboehmke »

Is anyone having problems recording. I have selected several shows to record last night and nothing recorded.

roboehmke

Post by roboehmke »

I’m sorry but do I have to subscribe to your DVR Service for this to work?

-Rob-

Post by -Rob- »

Techvert wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:17 am Is the HDHomerun app available for Apple TV in the UK
Yes, my post above covers my thoughts on the UK HDHomeRun app on ATV 4K - it is pretty rubbish experience.

For the moment I get a much better result by using the Plex app on Apple TV to view the HDHomeRun content. I find it staggering that the native app is so poor in comparison when watching Freeview broadcasts.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

roboehmke wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:45 am I’m sorry but do I have to subscribe to your DVR Service for this to work?
Yes, and a dedicated DVR device like mac or PC, NAS box or Android device.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

-Rob- wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:22 am All the live channels looked washed-out when displayed on either a 1080P LED or 4K OLED display. The picture quality is well-below the standard of the iOS app and even worse than the macOS app.
Quick fix - try putting the Apple TV in SDR mode.
We have confirmed a minor color space factor we are fixing now. Apple TV messes up the color space further when in HDR mode.
-Rob- wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:22 am The audio suffers from an echo too, ranging from an almost imperceptible amount to full-on echo chamber.
We have not been able to reproduce this but have had multiple reports. Have you noticed a pattern as to how this problem starts?
-Rob- wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:22 am As for the user interface, if I select the hamburger symbol at the far right of the control bar, taking me to the Live / Record page the UI freezes with Live greyed-out.
If you don't have any recordings you should still be able to navigate back and forth between live TV and this screen. The "Live TV" at the top is grey to indicate not selected but you can still click it. Can you post a screenshot or camera phone picture of what you are seeing?
-Rob- wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:22 am Using the Menu button from this page crashes out of the app.
The menu button exits the app - this is by design.

bgrubb1

Post by bgrubb1 »

I have an issue with this release only impaction ATSC3.0 channels
They do play with audio, but the video is green with blocks of the correct colors coming and going. I deleted and reinstalled the app and unplugged / re-plugged the HRHomerun
All non ATSC 3.0 channels and recordings work fine. The ATSC 3.0 channels work fine on the PC app. Is there a setting I am missing ??
Wired gigabit network, 4K samsung TV
...Barry
Also to note exact same behavior on two different AppleTV 4K units
Last edited by bgrubb1 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

nickk wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:07 pm
-Rob- wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:22 am As for the user interface, if I select the hamburger symbol at the far right of the control bar, taking me to the Live / Record page the UI freezes with Live greyed-out.
If you don't have any recordings you should still be able to navigate back and forth between live TV and this screen. The "Live TV" at the top is grey to indicate not selected but you can still click it. Can you post a screenshot or camera phone picture of what you are seeing?
This may be a navigation issue; if I recall correctly you have to swipe/navigate UP to "get" to the Live/ Recorde "buttons" and then navigate to Live and click.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

darcilicious wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:14 am
nickk wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:03 am
darcilicious wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:34 pm No audio on any of the six ATSC 3.0 channels that are in the guide (there should be seven channels in the guide); and finally, on 2.1 a ton of video stuttering/dropped frames.

ATSC 1.0 channels have audio.
For ATSC 3.0 audio you need one of the newer Apple TV 4K models.

Nick
That’s exactly what I am using. I get Dolby Atmos working just fine on Netflix (or at least their version of it). I did get audio once or twice with the app, but not anymore. I have power cycled the tuner once so far but saw / heard no improvement.
I power cycled the Apple TV in the hopes that that might help but no joy. Meanwhile, the Channels app (beta) is tuning and playing video (not washed out) and audio just tine so I'm thinking there isn't anything wrong with my setup.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

First, thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the Apple TV app.

After an internal review we have a list of improvements being worked on with the goal of putting out a patch release in the near future.

We have investigated HDR color handling in detail and it seems the Apple TV does not handle HDR well. For example, in SDR mode colors look good in the main Apple TV app-launcher screen. In HDR mode the colors in the app-launcher screen are washed out. HDHomeRun app - colors as washed out the same way in the non-video screens which likewise seems down to the Apple TV device (the app just says to put a jpeg at X location - the OS is responsible for the color representation of the jpeg). We did find a colorspace mistake in our video player code which will be fixed in the next release. This fix improves the video color but it is still not where it should be playing SDR content with the Apple TV output in HDR mode.

Short version - we are recommending the Apple TV be configured in SDR mode and the "Match Dynamic Range" be enabled in the Apple TV settings to support HDR content.

Nick

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

Since current version of Apple TV 4K lacks HLG support, is there anyway to display HLG 4K shows in other HDR mode? Currently, it is only output 4K non-HDR.

Keenan
Device ID: 13170B59

Post by Keenan »

nickk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:43 pm First, thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the Apple TV app.

After an internal review we have a list of improvements being worked on with the goal of putting out a patch release in the near future.

We have investigated HDR color handling in detail and it seems the Apple TV does not handle HDR well. For example, in SDR mode colors look good in the main Apple TV app-launcher screen. In HDR mode the colors in the app-launcher screen are washed out. HDHomeRun app - colors as washed out the same way in the non-video screens which likewise seems down to the Apple TV device (the app just says to put a jpeg at X location - the OS is responsible for the color representation of the jpeg). We did find a colorspace mistake in our video player code which will be fixed in the next release. This fix improves the video color but it is still not where it should be playing SDR content with the Apple TV output in HDR mode.

Short version - we are recommending the Apple TV be configured in SDR mode and the "Match Dynamic Range" be enabled in the Apple TV settings to support HDR content.

Nick
"Short version - we are recommending the Apple TV be configured in SDR mode and the "Match Dynamic Range" be enabled in the Apple TV settings to support HDR content."

Which is exactly the way it should be set. Anyone who sets the device to display in HDR-mode all the time is just forcing a color format on content that is not coded for it, it's like using Vivid mode because they like the bright, garish, unnatural colors for some reason. The Apple TV 4K should be set at an SDR format resolution with Match Dynamic Range" set to On and that's it. When the device encounters content that is set to use an HDR format it will automatically switch to that color format. Individual apps are another story, but the hardware itself works as designed.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

nickk wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:43 pm First, thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the Apple TV app.

Nick
Hi Nick, thanks for posting this and for the upcoming update. It wasn't explicitly mentioned and so I'm asking: I am currently not getting any audio with the HDHR app on my Apple TV 4K model when tuning ATSC 3.0 channels. If this should be working, how can I best troubleshoot? I don't have this issue with the Channels app when it tunes ATSC 3.0 channels.

jseymour

Post by jseymour »

Is closed captioning supported and do the font sizes and other style hints obey the device settings, or is CC handled the same way it is (last I knew) on Amazon and Android devices?

pshanew

Post by pshanew »

nickk wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:07 pm
-Rob- wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:22 am The audio suffers from an echo too, ranging from an almost imperceptible amount to full-on echo chamber.
We have not been able to reproduce this but have had multiple reports. Have you noticed a pattern as to how this problem starts?
I'm not sure if it's the same in all cases, but when I experience the issue with echo it appears to be caused by the app tuning the channel twice, on two separate tuners. The video is fine, but the audio streams are overlaid, one with a slight delay.

tsimblist

Post by tsimblist »

I dug my Apple TV HD out of storage and got it updated to tvOS 14.2 (18K57). Then I went to the Apple Store and got the HDHomeRun app installed.

I tried to use it but the experience was lacking compared to the Windows 10 HDHomeRun App.

First when I launch the App, it starts out with Live TV playing the first available channel. One poke of the Menu remote button took me to Recorded TV.

I want to change the Starting Page to "Recorded", but there is no Settings gear icon to the right of the Time Display.

I was able to navigate to a recording and start playing it. But once the recording is playing, I can only Pause/Play or Menu back out. The arrow buttons on the remote do not skip forward/backward like the Windows 10 App. I need this functionality in order to skip through commercials or back up to repeat something that I missed.

Looking forward to the next update.